Beastie Band Fitting Question

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a Beastie Band with Mini Tag collar for each of my cats (Hazel and Cleo), and I'd like to confirm if I've put them on correctly. The first one I've put on so far (for Hazel), has been slipping around on her neck. But I'm afraid to make it any tighter than it is. I can slip one finger underneath it, and from reading earlier posts on forums, that seems to be what is necessary. But after wearing it for an hour, I can see that it has turned around (probably she has done this, maybe trying to get if off? although she looks very calm with it, so I can't be sure), so that the tag is now on a different part of her neck, instead of in front of the neck where I originally placed it. Does this mean I have to make it tighter?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Helene

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think having one finger under the collar is fine. Turning around is fine also. The tag is too light to pull itself down from gravity so it just rides with the collar. If you make the collar tighter, she will probably start losing hair under it because it will pull on the hair and gently wear it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, Red Top Rescue. It turns out that, several hours after wearing the collar, Hazel started scratching very hard and constantly to try to get it off. It had bothered her on and off all day, but by the evening it was clear that she was more than uncomfortable. Since it was only her first day wearing it, I did take it off (the fur underneath is fine, so it wasn't too tight) then. Did I do the right thing? Should I be going about this a different way, to help her adjust to wearing it?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested to hear the answer too! I got a Beastie Band for my cat and made it about as tight as you did, helene, but she constantly scratches at it. So I've given up for now and just taken it off.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats have no tolerance for collars and others don't seem to mind. Maybe she is sensitive to the material it's made of and it makes her itch? Hard to tell. I had many cats wearing beastie bands for years and they didn't seem to have any problem with them, but that was over 10 years ago, so it's possible the materials have changed even though the collars look the same in pictures. Obviously your cat's comfort is the most important thing to consider.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The scratching might just be because they're still unaccustomed to the collar, but it's wise to keep an eye on that. You could try just leaving it on for an hour or so a day at first, then gradually lengthening the amount of time it's worn, but most cats get used to the Beastie Band after about two days.

Mowgli has been wearing Beastie Bands with a Mini Tag for about 3 1/2 years, and they always seem to turn around on his neck. It doesn't bother him. Better that than a collar that's too tight.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for these replies. They really help.
Cleo (the calico on the right) tried to get it off and got a claw stuck in it -- had to rescue her from herself - she was running around scared. Will have to take it more slow with her.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to check in about Hazel's discomfort with the collar. It's on correctly -- not too tight and not too loose. I now know from jcat (thank you again) that it can take up to two days for her to get used to it. The worry is that she was mostly okay with it by the end of the first day, but by last night and, again, this morning, her scratching at it has become worse -- more constant -- instead of subsiding. Today is moving day, and so I don't want to take it off of her. Any thoughts?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd definitely leave it on for now if you're moving, as there's always a chance of a cat getting out in all the bustle and confusion. If she's still scratching at it a lot on the weekend, you could look for a replacement, but the Beastie Bands seem more comfortable than other collars.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all. I've been offline since Tuesday, the 16th -- the day we moved. Hazel and Cleo made it through pretty well. Hazel is tolerating the collar well enough. It's been impossible for us to clip Cleo's nails -- she fights like mad, and we've each gotten scratched quite a bit over the last two years since she was rescued from the streets. I know all the ways of clipping a skittisch cat's nails, but she's unlike any other I've ever had! Anyway, they've found all of their favorite safety/hiding places, but are spending more and more time with us. Wishing you all the very best.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. I haven't been able to catch up with this thread/answers to my concerns for a while, due to family issues. But coming back to the thread now, I'd like to ask more about the scratching and the fit. Hazel continued to scratch away at the Beastie Band, so I got a Kitty Convict breakaway collar to try on her (with her name and our phone number sewn onto the collar). She scratched away at this one, too, just like she did with the Beastie Band. I know I fit it on correctly (could get two fingers under it). I took it off of her yesteray, to give her some relief, and saw that her neck fur had a deep indentation -- fortunately, not deep enough to affect her skin -- underneath the collar. Petting and grooming her took care of this, but it made me wonder if I had put the collar on too tight, despite my following proper instructions for fitting it on. Any thoughts about this? I don't know if I should loosen it, or try the Beastie Band again. Also, the Beastie Band doesn't look like it's breakaway -- how safe is it?

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, the indentation disappeared after smoothing it down with my hands and with soft grooming tools, so I can't send a picture. Perhaps this means that no harm will be done by putting it back on her, and not changing the fit?

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to add a question: for breakaway collars in general, I've read that you should be able to get two fingers under it, to know if it's secure without being too tight. But one person wrote (on another thread, a while ago) that for Beastie Bands in particular, the rule is to be able to get only one finger under it, not two. Can anyone comment on this?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like it was on right. My girls aren't wearing collars these days or I'd share a picture of them.

I can't answer your question about the Beastie Band fit. I've always used Break aways.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I went back to the Beastie Band, which also makes her scratch, just as much as the Kitty Convict breakaway. Can anyone tell me if the Beastie Band is a breakaway, and whether or not the conventional breakaway is safer?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
helene helene

Beastie bands are break-away.. they are also especially stretchy so if they do get caught, they can pull their heads through.

I have them for my cats and no problems. I like them better than other collars out there.. though they do need to be replaced at least once a year due to wear and tear. I often trim lose threads (caused by scratching or playing with other cats)

For the discomfort bit, make sure the rough velcro part isn't exposed.. make sure it's covered completely. Sometimes mine gets exposed and it itches my cat like a human with an itchy tag on a t-shirt. I sometimes also trim the corners to round them out for less itching

Last edited: