Bathroom Outside Of Box

Kkincius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have a 6 year old Siamese Point Lynx who, over the past 3 months or so, has been pooping outside of the box. He does this under certain parameters.
Here is a description of when he will go outside of the box:
- usually early morning, between 5:30 and 6:30
- my husband and I are home
- he scratches the tile floor or door obsessively before he goes (it’s his tell and we’ve been able to jump out of bed, catch him in the act, and put him in his litter box).
- he will still poop and pee in his box during the day or when my husband and I are at work/out.

His box is cleaned daily, we use unscented litter, we have not changed his food or routine. This is so out of character. The only other time he has ever acted this “crazy” was when he self mutilated (pulled out his own fur) but that resolves years ago with homeopathic anxiety drops that he still takes today.

Any advice would be appreciated! It’s so frustrating for us and I’m sure for my cat, too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat does this when she's constipated. I started giving her hairball treats or paste every other day and that seemed to help. Also, I make sure she gets canned food every day for the moisture.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd start with a second box. I know it sounds odd, and I know he doesn't always do it, but I've had cats that have behaved inconsistantly like yours, and a second box has done the trick.. Some cats can just decide they don't like to wee where they poo, and he has had some stress-related issues in the past.
Maggie's suggestion is definitely worth looking at too. A bit of mashed pumpkin in wet food does wonders for a cat who's a little bunged up. But keep an eye on what comes out. If it's a resonable consistency, then it's not constipation.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you say he goes out side of the box, do you mean anywhere else in the house? Or does he go near the box? Like just outside it?
I had a cat who used to stand in the box and poop outside it. That's just how she was.
I've also had cats who only poop outside the box when they are sick and they are just looking to dump or get it out of their system. My female cat recently pooped on the steps because she was constipated. I'm OK with that as long as she goes. Any other time she goes in the box.
She also likes to scratch all over the outer edges of the box like mad after she goes. Sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night because she's scratching everything, the box, all around the box.
I think it's just some little obsession they have.
It's odd tho that yours will go in the box when you are not home.
How is the stool? Dry and hard so litter won't stick to it? He may be constipated. Just guessing here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kkincius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat does this when she's constipated. I started giving her hairball treats or paste every other day and that seemed to help. Also, I make sure she gets canned food every day for the moisture.
Thank you so much for the advice! I’m going to try that.

Kkincius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd start with a second box. I know it sounds odd, and I know he doesn't always do it, but I've had cats that have behaved inconsistantly like yours, and a second box has done the trick.. Some cats can just decide they don't like to wee where they poo, and he has had some stress-related issues in the past.
Maggie's suggestion is definitely worth looking at too. A bit of mashed pumpkin in wet food does wonders for a cat who's a little bunged up. But keep an eye on what comes out. If it's a resonable consistency, then it's not constipation.
Thank you! I’m going to test the constipation recommendations and then to the second litter box!

Kkincius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say he goes out side of the box, do you mean anywhere else in the house? Or does he go near the box? Like just outside it?
I had a cat who used to stand in the box and poop outside it. That's just how she was.
I've also had cats who only poop outside the box when they are sick and they are just looking to dump or get it out of their system. My female cat recently pooped on the steps because she was constipated. I'm OK with that as long as she goes. Any other time she goes in the box.
She also likes to scratch all over the outer edges of the box like mad after she goes. Sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night because she's scratching everything, the box, all around the box.
I think it's just some little obsession they have.
It's odd tho that yours will go in the box when you are not home.
How is the stool? Dry and hard so litter won't stick to it? He may be constipated. Just guessing here...
The box is on top of a tile floor in a corner and he will go outside in the corner across from the box or even around the corner, but still within 5 feet of it. I would say 60% of the time the stool is hard. He’s also VERY furry and overgrooms and I know hair balls can contribute to constipation as well. I appreciate all of the tips! I hadn’t found any of this information in my internet searching.