Bathing tips needed (?)

yourlocalcatdealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this is the right category but posting it anyway.

First of all, I'd like to ask, how often should I should bathe my cat? I bathe him once in a month or two months, since he is very clumsy and gets dirty easily.

However I've noticed that lately, he feels more unpleasant when bathing. For example at first, although he didn't really enjoy it, he was kinda okay with it, but still trying to get out of the bath tub sometimes. Lately he has been trying to do it more, and he sometimes scratches me (not on purpose though) and meows.

What should I do? Is there a way I can make bathing more pleasant for him? I hate seeing him "suffer" in a way, since cats usually don't like bathing, but I can't let him stay dirty since he's an indoor cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is he getting so dirty in that he needs a bath? I wouldn't stress him out if he doesn't like it. Stress can be a whole lot worse on a cat then some dirty. Plus they groom to clean themselves so there really is no need to bath them. Most people have indoor cats and do not bathe them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First of all, I'd like to ask, how often should I should bathe my cat? I bathe him once in a month or two months, since he is very clumsy and gets dirty easily.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Basically, a cat need not take a bath unless the cat is being soaked in some kind of oil (like engine oil dripping on them if they hide under vehicles and so on). Or, they soiled themselves when pooping when they have diarrhea or maybe accidentally stepped on the poop then you have to clean the bum or legs but all these can be done using a warm soft damp towel and slowly wipe off the poop.

Other than that, they are pretty clean as they self groom and they are more primmed than many of us hoomans :lol: and cats are very good at this unless they have certain health issues that they cannot groom themselves due to injuries or arthritis.

Just as jen jen mentioned, bathing stress them out and they're good at cleaning themselves.

My boy is a rescue off the streets at 3 weeks old and he has never taken bath since and he's already 4 years old.

77D24E03-6D33-47B4-8222-72C69FD9DE79$L0$001~photo.JPG

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wonder how he’s getting so dirty if he’s indoor? Cats don’t need to be bathed regularly. They clean themselves.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought it kind of threw off their whole system when we bath them. Then they have to spend so much time grooming themselves anyway to get the soap smells off and dry their fur. Just like I hate when people shave their cats because it is hot. Their bodies are perfect little temperature self-regulators and self-cleaners and then we go ahead and shave and bathe them and throw everything off.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I only bathe my diabetic cat who has mild neuropathy and cannot clean herself, and then only by placing her rear end in the sink, never her whole body. I have only bathed cats in emergencies as was mentioned.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is a pet grooming wipe and a through brushing / combing not enough to remove the dirt? What kind of dirt is the cat getting into?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yourlocalcatdealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since your answers are kind of similar I'll reply here. First of all, thank you for your advice and from now on, I'll bathe him only when I really have to.

To answer your question, I bathe him that often because although he's an indoor cat, I sometimes take him for a walk in my not so clean neighborhood, where there is also happening a comstruction at the moment, so the ground is a lot more dirtier than usually because of the dust and the other stuff. Also, my father sometimes brings some of his tools in our house, and as my cat is curious he touches them and geta dirty.

However I sometimes bathe him just because he stinks...

Anyway, thank you all for your help and sorry if I have made any grammatical mistakes ♡

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Curious about the comment you made that "he stinks"...stinks how? As in the smell of urine or poop? I am trying to think of what other things you said he has been exposed to that would cause him to stink. Dirt, dust might make his coat appear dirty, but enough to stink????

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Impacted anal glands could cause extreme stinkiness back there. The vet can check the glands and express them if needed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too am curious why a cat would stink. Is he neutered?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also the beauty of cats is that they are self cleaning machines. They get a little dusty or dirty outside, they clean themselves...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yourlocalcatdealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't really mean that he stinks, it's more like smells, so sorry for that. He mostly smells bad because of his poop and stuff although he grooms himself afterwards and the smell goes away.

I guess I just think he smells bad after a specific amount of time because I bathe him regularly.

Also yes, he is neutered.