Basepaws Dna Test For Cats?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Results are finally in for mine. She's a generic DSH, showing no likelihood for any of the 27 breeds they have listed. Her wildcat ancestry also showed low percentages, so there is no hybridization.

I was a little excited at first because they had Egyptian Mau at the top, so I thought that meant she was close to that breed -- but when I looked at the actual bars for that breed and all the others, they were right in the middle, which indicates DSH.

don't give up hope. she might be close to a breed they just don't have sequenced yet :) lol. looks like you got yours processed in early nov then? or much earlier? I didn't get mine in until feb I think. I guess that means july results for us

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True, the results are rudimentary, and they will refine them and add features as time goes on. Yes, mine was processed in early November.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't give up hope. she might be close to a breed they just don't have sequenced yet
That's what I'm hoping for with the updates as time goes on, and the database gets larger and they find new algorithms. I haven't gotten my cats' results in yet, but I just check my 23andMe every few months, and they are already shifting my DNA percentages and regions around.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm hoping for with the updates as time goes on, and the database gets larger and they find new algorithms. I haven't gotten my cats' results in yet, but I just check my 23andMe every few months, and they are already shifting my DNA percentages and regions around.

yeah we've been in 23 and me for a couple years now. it's fun. I just got switched from being mostly finnish to mostly norwegian hehe.

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
23andMe is great. I've taken their DNA test, as have many of my family members.

I also just got further explanation from Basepaws -- while my cat is clearly DSH, her Egyptian Mau results at the top aren't random or meaningless; that is, in fact, the breed to which she is closest to per their sequencing.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
reading their most recent post on facebook it looks like everyone can expect their results in the next month or two that had results out already

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they go in part by pics if they want pics of cats who are waiting for results. Also, anyone know the sample size of the breeds they have?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's only ten pounds but her top match was Maine Coon.
Maine Coon, Oriental Shorthair, and Peterbald.
But very, very Domestic.
When her eyes are open, they are strikingly blue.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At this point I'd even settle for rudimentary. My kit was received by them in August 2017 and I have not heard one single word from them since. I have emailed them asking about it and not received any response. I acknowledge that I got the kit free as part of a feline asthma study, but I was told I would still receive results just like any paying customer. I really wish I'd get something back from them, even if it's just a reply to my email.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I contacted them via the "contact us" form on their website several days ago and haven't received a response. The last I heard from them was when I emailed them in January when they said:

"A lot of the samples sent to us are still in the process of being tested. As you know, Basepaws is still in Beta, and we are doing our best to publish our results as soon as possible, however we’ve had lots of snags and some of the samples are still being worked on.

We will notify you once we have your sample tested and finalised. We will be notifying users throughout 2018, so please check your email and we will notify you as soon as we have the results."

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, I don't know. It's just that 9 months seems like a long time.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took me a while to get mine sent in but, they sent an email April 27th saying they received it. They said it could take 2 to 7 months to get results. I also read that they don't give you a definitive breed, they just tell you what is most likely but, those who ordered early will get free updates as the database grows. I think at some point the free updates will not be included in the purchase price but, will be an additional charge from what I've read.

beckbjj beckbjj After I sent my kit in I went to register at the site and then realized I needed a code. I didn't realize the code was on the tape strips for the hair sample. Since I had already sent the kit in I no longer had the code. I emailed the owner, Anna Skaya at [email protected] and got an almost immediate response with my code. There's also a phone number you can call 415-634-pets. You may want to try one or both and see what happens. I'm not in a big hurry for mine but, if I'd have been waiting 9 months I may be getting a little impatient too.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I emailed them yesterday and asked when we could expect more results. they said they were working on finishing a huge batch and a bunch of people could expect results by the end of this week.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great news! I've been meaning to email them again for a while and just haven't gotten it done, so I'm glad you did! I hope Grace's kit is among the ones they're working on. I'll keep checking my Basepaws account, and if I haven't heard from them in a couple of weeks I'll get my act together and email them again to ask.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie’s CatKit arrived today!

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They've updated their reports and now include a chromosome map.

My Mallory is said to be 99.91% similar to Maine Coon, 93.8% Turkish Angora, 92.52% Siberian, and 64.69% American Shorthair (no other breed similarity more than 30%.). She is a small DSH despite high 90%+ similarity to those three longer haired breeds, but she does have an extremely affectionate personality with people she knows well -- purrs loudly whenever she is touched, and never displays any aggression like biting, growling, etc. Most affectionate DSH I've ever seen.