Barely eating but 1 thing making him gassy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, almost a week now my kidney failure cat isn't eating well.
I've tired everything I can find in the stores. He'll lap up the stuff but then leave the actual food.
We're not worried about what food isn't food for his kidneys at this point, just desperately need him to eat.
So! Young Again Mature Zero. A dry food that's been known to give diarrhea and make a cat gassy. It's indeed making him gassy. And he's laying around even more pathetic right now.
My vets advice via text message, is it doesn't matter if he's gassy or not. As long as he eats.
But isn't that going to make him feel worse?
Help!
Oh, he's on cerenia for nausea, mirtazapine for stimulant, had 2.5mg of cbd in desperate attempt to help and 100ml in subq fluids this morn.😞

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Urgent Care A/D? Our vet recommended it awhile back when our cat wasn't eating well due to pancreatitis and it did wonders for him. He's very fussy when it comes to food but he really liked it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Urgent Care A/D? Our vet recommended it awhile back when our cat wasn't eating well due to pancreatitis and it did wonders for him. He's very fussy when it comes to food but he really liked it.
Called my vet's and my husband's picking it up on his way home tonight.
Worth a shot! Thank you.💗

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we bought 5 Urgent Care AD & of course he's not interested. I went out to this place that sells the better foods and tried picking up several v different kinds of Weruva. He seems to like the pureed chicken Press Your Lunch. Almost ate 1/2 a can throughout the day & also is currently nibbling at my other girl's diabetic food. At least he's eating. Still have Dr appt tomorrow morloo magnet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took him in and his numbers are real bad. She's got him up on IV fluids all day and I'm supposed to come back at 6:30. She'll see if they can get him to eat around 6. She said if there's hope for him, this will be it. It will either stabilize him to get back to normal or nothing and we will need to put him down. Lost yet another pound. Down to 7.:(

lakotawolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your boy is in a crisis right now :(

I got 6 more years with my kidney kitty after her diagnosis, so I know how scary the crashes/hospitalizations can be. IV fluids usually would stabilize her, so hopefully that helps your kitty too!

Fingers and kitty claws crossed for your boy!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update. He went into the vets Friday and stayed full closegetting IV fluids all day. Seemed to perk up immensely! Are ok that evening, ate recently enough the next day. Then pretty much nothing Sunday. Monday he refused to eat till in the afternoon. Did so-so.
I'm trying a last ditch effort on something called Astro's Oil. An oil plus 2 powders you give twice a day. My doc said he seemed to stabilize after the IV. But with not good eating by Monday morning, said he may never stabilize.:(
So while I know this oil still probably be as useless as that Wellbeing kidney gold stuff I tried on my last, figure at this point it can't hurt. Only about my cat further.😄

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad he perked up getting IV fluids at the vet Friday but very sorry to hear you're back to square one now. I hope the Astro Oil helps and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Astro's oil did nothing, and just like the first time can got fluids, after 2 days he started crashing again.
Took him back to the vet Monday for another kidney panel to see if the 3 days of fluids. No change, but he'd lost even more weight. He was down to 5.13lbs. His healthy weight was just over 9lbs. He had lost another pound in just 2weeks time.
The doctor said I shouldn't wait past Friday. I only took him back home due to my son whom was there wanting to take him home. We brought him back home the next morning and said goodbye. I couldn't keep dragging him through the mud in hopes of some miracle that wasn't coming. She said he was in end stage & the time had come to let him go peacefully.
Rest in peace little man. My NoirStar. by

Attachments

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Bless your heart for being strong for him.

If or when you feel up to it, you could post something in honor of him in the Crossing the Bridge forum.
Crossing the Bridge
Thank you. I'll do that in the morning. I'm always a little low at night because I'm up late at night alone; and don't want to start sobbing. This is the 2nd kidney failure cat I've had to have put to sleepin the last 3mo. And the 3rd total of my lot. I need to do more research in home cooked meals. I can't do raw, but have heard not as many cats have kidney problems on wet food. I don't want to keep going through this same illness over and over.😥

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry tyleete tyleete

:hugs:

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes away as a sign of respect. When you feel ready it might help to start a Crossing The Bridge thread in his memory.

Rest in Peace beautiful boy, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.