Bald Spots and Hairloss

pleaston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is losing hair like crazy! At first it was circular patches on paws so with my research I thought it was ringworm. I took him to the vet. They didn’t believe that to be the case but they took samples to test anyway and I’m waiting on those results. They gave me chlorhexidine ketoconazole solution to put on in the meantime. Since then it has gotten worse, and he has hair loss and patches all over his body. He is constantly trying to scratch and lick all over. We just recently moved, so I’m thinking maybe an environmental allergy or stress? I noticed the balding areas now have little black dots all over them. It almost resembles cat acne on the chin which he currently has a flareup of.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I would guess you may be right about it having to do with the move. And more than likely it could be something in the home that your cat is allergic to. If so, that will be a tough one because it could be almost anything, up to and including cleaning products that were used in the house before you moved in.

Also, check him for fleas - I say that only because of the little black dots which could be flea dirt. Although, if he is prone to chin acne which can also be from some sort of allergy, it probably isn't fleas. But, best to rule that out.

After you get the test results back from the samples, if they don't identify anything, I would guess the vet will want to give your cat a steroid shot which should help at least temporarily. During the shot's duration, you might consider cleaning the flooring (and any other items/furniture/closets/cabinets/etc. from the previous owner) with products you have used in the past that you know don't bother him.

If it is stress related, a steroid shot should help while he calms down from the move.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Until you get the results back from the Vet, and in between dosing the medication you have, you can try using this solution for the itching:

Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to those areas with cotton balls or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pleaston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I would guess you may be right about it having to do with the move. And more than likely it could be something in the home that your cat is allergic to. If so, that will be a tough one because it could be almost anything, up to and including cleaning products that were used in the house before you moved in.

Also, check him for fleas - I say that only because of the little black dots which could be flea dirt. Although, if he is prone to chin acne which can also be from some sort of allergy, it probably isn't fleas. But, best to rule that out.

After you get the test results back from the samples, if they don't identify anything, I would guess the vet will want to give your cat a steroid shot which should help at least temporarily. During the shot's duration, you might consider cleaning the flooring (and any other items/furniture/closets/cabinets/etc. from the previous owner) with products you have used in the past that you know don't bother him.

If it is stress related, a steroid shot should help while he calms down from the move.
I’ve been checking and haven’t found any fleas. The black specs are very difficult to rub off and don’t show up red with a damp cloth so I am not thinking flea dirt. Almost like they are clogged up pores?

With the move we are now living with others who have a dog and a cat. So many, many factors for environmental allergies and also added stress. 🥲 The vet did mention a steroid shot if thinking allergy.

pleaston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until you get the results back from the Vet, and in between dosing the medication you have, you can try using this solution for the itching:

Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to those areas with cotton balls or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.
Thank you for this advice!!

pleaston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat acne on the chin is likely to happen when dishes are plastic. What are your dishes made of?
The photo of his head shows bruises and scratches, it seems he paws at these spots with his claws? In this case sounds like an allergy.
Yes, he used to have plastic but I switched. He has a slow feeder that is silicon and water dish that is stainless steel.

pleaston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat acne on the chin is likely to happen when dishes are plastic. What are your dishes made of?
The photo of his head shows bruises and scratches, it seems he paws at these spots with his claws? In this case sounds like an allergy.
This is after wiping with the medicine but between his ears and eyes had brown spotty “scabs?” all over. You can see some that didn’t wipe away in the pictures still. The vet mention his ears looked a little dirty but left it at that. I feel like they are more gunky than they were then. There are some spots you can see in the little outside ear flap thing. Could this be relevant to the issue you think?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are probably dealing with allergies, and very likely due to the move. Now, the problem is how to figure out what in your current environment is causing it.