Bald Spot and Black Specks

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My two year old male neutered and vaccinated indoor persian chinchilla cat (no other pets at home) has a bald spot on his belly (no redness and no bump) I also noticed he has black specks that come off if I rub it around his nipple area. However he doesnt have them anywhere else on his body. I have contacted the vet waiting for a reply. I want him to do a test for worms and parasites but not just a basic parasite test Id like him to do a more extensive one. Which tests would you suggest? Also what do you think it is?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't tell much from the pics - could it be flea dirt? As far as the testing, a full fecal PCR test will look for bacterial/viral issues as well as a number of different parasites, some of which would not be found/identified in the standard tests (float, smear, or centrifuge). These tests can be labeled differently, and contain different elements, based on the lab(s) your vets uses, so ask your vet what testing they do if the above parameters are what you are interested in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can't tell much from the pics - could it be flea dirt? As far as the testing, a full fecal PCR test will look for bacterial/viral issues as well as a number of different parasites, some of which would not be found/identified in the standard tests (float, smear, or centrifuge). These tests can be labeled differently, and contain different elements, based on the lab(s) your vets uses, so ask your vet what testing they do if the above parameters are what you are interested in.
Thank you. I asked the vet to do a full fecal pcr test and am bringing in stool tomorrow. Also the technician said she doesmt think its ringworm because it doesnt have a red ring around it and said just to watch it for now. Do you think i should ask her for a ring worm culture anyway or just wait?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can ask how much more that would cost, but from where would your cat have gotten ringworm, especially with no other pets and the fact that he doesn't go outside? Unless you think you could have brought it into the house? I personally don't think it is ringworm, but that is just my layperson's opinion.

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can ask how much more that would cost, but from where would your cat have gotten ringworm, especially with no other pets and the fact that he doesn't go outside? Unless you think you could have brought it into the house? I personally don't think it is ringworm, but that is just my layperson's opinion.
Thanks I will do that. Hmm that is true. Is it possible to get ringworm 3 months later all i can think of is that he went to the vet to shave his fur 3 months ago.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks I will do that. Hmm that is true. Is it possible to get ringworm 3 months later all i can think of is that he went to the vet to shave his fur 3 months ago.
My uneducated guess is no. I think it would have shown up before now, and would have been obvious as to what it was.

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My uneducated guess is no. I think it would have shown up before now, and would have been obvious as to what it was.
Thank you! Also is there different types of PCR tests. If so which one do I ask for?
I did the flea test wet white paper but the black specks had some hair on it and it did not turn red or anything it just remained the same black specks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A full fecal PCR may contain different elements depending on the lab performing them, as I mentioned above. But, there are other PCR tests for other situations/conditions. Here is a listing from the IDEXX web site -
RealPCR Tests | IDEXX Reference Laboratories - IDEXX US

And, another more detailed listing of PCR tests from Zoologix -
Zoologix canine and feline PCR testing
Thank you! This was so helpful. I told the vet and will get the results in 1 to 3 days. Ill post an update. What worries me most is the bald spot we will see!