Bagel and Lox's introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeaaaaaah. I'll wait. No bed swapping of course. We have a blanket for Bagel to suckle/knead/sleep on but usually prefers the floor. 

Just wondering, he's been playing with Lox's rejected toys (turbo scratcher, balls, you name it.) Do I need to get rid of those once the URI is gone because of coccidia? 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a handheld steamer? Or crazy as it sounds, can they be washed then boiled?

I'm a germaphobe so I may not be the best to ask. Whatever you use, make sure it is something that is safe for kitties to bite on afterwards.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a steamer but I can get one pretty easily! How long do you think I should steam for? I guess the most annoying thing to sanitize would be the turbo scratcher but I guess what I could do is get rid of the cardboard inset, steam the plastic part and then place in a new cardboard fill. I guess floors should be mopped as well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I found a great link on coccidia - with waaaaaaaay more information than anyone would ever want to know, and something someone with anxiety - or peaches, something a germophobe - should definitely NOT read. :lol3: It was geared toward a kennel/shelter, not home environment. BUT...

The bottom line is that coccidia persists in the environment for a long time. Chemicals won't kill it. Even the antibiotic doesn't get rid of all of it, it just brings the internal population down to a point the kitty can manage it. So basically Lox is going to be exposed to it, and as a healthy adult cat, her body should be able to manage it just fine.

You are going to be using a probiotic that helps them manage it. So the only change I would suggest is planning on using it long term. I would recommend tossing whatever cat beds Bagel has been using once the antibiotics are done, and replacing any litter boxes Bagel has used. But soap and water won't get rid of it; neither will harsh chemicals. And unless you plan on steam cleaning your entire home and all your furniture... I see no point in steam cleaning the toys. Especially as the way it's passed is through feces, not the mouth.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My HAAN sanitizes surfaces in just a few seconds. I'm sure it depends on the microbe you're going after, too. Washing it first will remove most of the germs.

Oh LDG...I have to read it!!! LOL

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steam is only thing I've read for for certain about coccidia. Alcohol was hit or miss, and of course concentrations were argued back and forth.

But yes, I'd love to see the article! I'm a germaphobe in that I worked in the OR. I'm concerned about reducing transmission rates...I know that I don't live in a sterile environment. I still play in the dirt. :lol3:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright...

So things are improving, I think. They can co-exist now, on certain occasions they will sleep on the bed away from each other, no more litter box ambushing. Lox does keep chasing him around to the point he hides, however. No hissing, no growling, no fur flying. I figure this is normal. My only concern would be Bagel growing up to be a very skittish cat but I think I'm letting my partner's feelings affect my judgement. 

The one "issue" my partner has is that no matter how much the cats are tired from playing - around 3am Lox will start chasing Bagel around under the bed. During the day they do not do this. I suggested my partner to play with the cats too, and not just me.

I have noticed that Lox is generally fine with Bagel as long he doesn't make any sudden movements. Bagel on the other hand is quite respectful of Lox as he never tries to start anything with her.

Usually I hear a lot of stories about new cats/kittens bothering the older cat because it's so riled up on energy, so I'd like to hear opinions. I'm sure things are actually fine the way they are right now. I can unsupervise them and they will not start anything serious. Just Lox chasing and then pawing at Bagel as Bagel runs off and tries to corner himself. Maybe he has some confidence issues? I play with both individually, and try to play with both of them at the same time also along with feeding them at the same time close to eachother.