Bagel and Lox's introduction

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys.

A few days ago I adopted Bagel, who is 9/10 weeks old. Our resident cat Lox just turned 3 not too long ago.

Right now our set up is having a baby gate with a blanket drooped over. Lox has been a good sport- She's accepted his presence via smell, although she will sometimes hide under the bed. She eats fine, and uses the litter box fine too.

I've been trying to do the next step. Since Bagel and Lox will eat across from each other between the gate with blanket, I lifted the blanket a tiny bit so they can see each other. They will both still eat, although Lox will growl (not so much hissing) and occasionally she will hide under the bed. 

I always give Lox her food before giving Bagel his. She also gets special treatment from me with extra bonito flakes. I try to play interactive games with her but she's still a bit cautious and doesn't want to play as much or be petted as often as before.

Hopefully I am doing everything alright. I know some growling and hissing is normal, and maybe some hiding too. I don't plan to rush this introduction but I hope I am doing the right thing. 

Since Lox still growls at the sight of Bagel, should I back off and go back to blocking their views with the blanket? Or do I keep the blanket up despite the growling? 

Please let me know if I am rushing through with this. I want to do this right.

Also, can't have a thread without pictures can we?

Above is Lox, our resident cat.

And this is Bagel, the newcomer!

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your doing everything right.
The growling will lessen when Lox realizes the kitten isn't going to touch her food. Are you also doing scent exchanges? Rub the kitten down with a small towel or wash cloth and put it where Lox sleeps, or under her food dish, this will help her associate the kitten with things that are good. Seems all in all though things are going pretty well for it being just a few days.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it does sound like you're doing pretty well... slowly, slowly is always best as I'm sure you know.

Gorgeous pussycats! Lox has the most fabulous face patterns and expression, and Bagel is just plain cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welp, looks like they're gonna be isolated completely again for a week or so. Bagel started sneezing so I took him to the vet. Lox will be going to the vet also on Sunday!

Lox got a surprise gift today though, a new scratcher! Gotta keep her special. :)

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sigh... Lox is okay for a while, but then whenever I go out to be with Bagel for a little she hides. I have to coax her with treats often, and she won't really play much. Eats fine, poops well though.

Do I keep giving her treats since she doesn't play as much? I hope I'm doing the right thing. My first cat introduction... makes me feel anxious about everything.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep giving her the treats. The more you can keep the same routine, the more relaxed she will be around Bagel. If you get another cat, will you name it Schmear?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
catspaw I don't think I can handle another cat 

Also, as I said in my other thread in the Health section I was able to talk to the vet about Bagel's health problems so I've been a bit more relaxed today. I think that also helps Lox calm down. She really can tell when I am feeling tense.

Because of Bagel's URI/potential herpes outbreak and being positive for coccidia this introduction will be on hold at least until his follow-up appointment in 10 days. I will try to keep updating and post some photos on how they are doing.

I've gotten multiple people ask me if I will get another cat and name him/her Schmear or Caper... Schmear just might become Bagel's middle name/nick name! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did your vet recommend giving Bagel l-lysine after the coccidia is cured? I find that it keeps the URI frequency down in Silly and Julie.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not exactly, but the vet who called isn't actually Bagel's vet because Bagel's vet is actually on vacation...

However, I bought 360 L-Lysine chews (thanks Laurie!!) so I will probably keep giving him them even after the coccidia treatment. For Lox, I will give them to her as needed after this whole fiasco ends. They are both on over-priced Pet Naturals Lysine chews at the moment... Had to get them as this is an "emergency" for me. 

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I just came back from the vet... Been giving both cattes Lysine. I was told by Lox's vet that she's in perfect health- Weight, teeth, coat, eyes were all perfect. She (the vet) was really excited and surprised.

Lox was such a trooper today. She didn't hiss or growl at the vet like our last one. No oven mits were needed! Been hanging out with Lox a lot, while my partner has been watching Bagel. I may start scent swapping in a bit, still debating.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may have been hiding because she smelled Bagel on you.  If you scent swap, give her something happy with it - a treat, playtime, anything you think might help her associate the new smell with something positive.  The same can work with Bagel, too.  Give him a treat when you introduce him to Lox's smell.

Both of your cats are absolutely gorgeous!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're right Ondine. Once I put Lox's dose of Revolution on her tonight I will do the scent swapping with some clean washcloths!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's active infection going on, should scent swapping be done at this time? I'm assuming you mean to wipe one's face to gather scent and smear that on the other cat and vice versa...

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly that is correct. I myself have been still debating... Some have said it was okay but some say don't do it... I am still sanitizing my hands everytime I handle Lox/Bagel.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does your vet say? Scent swapping would be cross contamination at this time, no?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gah! I totally forgot to mention it to Lox's vet today... Maybe I should wait after all. 

I don't mind isolating them for a whole month but my partner is dying in the heat because I have to keep the door closed and that doesn't flow any of the cool air from the AC into the living room. I was isolating them via door, then baby gate + blanket before he started sneezing because of the AC situation but now the door is closed at all times

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call in the morning and leave a message.

In any case I would hold off on scent swapping.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. Will do! Actually I should check my email because the vet office sent me an information packet about introducing cats. Thanks for reminding me!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't have to rub Bagel's face to do the scent swapping. You can rub just his forehead or behind his ears, at the base of his tail... and since you won't be wiping the cloth on Lox's face, just placing the Bagel-scented cloth under her food dish, I don't see any reason not to go ahead with it. But that's me. We began rescuing when we couldn't separate cats, so my experience is that young, healthy cats aren't as fragile as we think...

Of course, given you stress easily, if it at all worries you, just hold off. :hugs:

The one thing I would not do is bed swapping. That I would definitely wait until the coccidia has cleared up and the bedding has been washed (and "rescented" with use. :lol3: ).