Bad Behavior, Or Playful Kitten?

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to owning a cat, so new in fact that I just got my first ever kitten around three o'clock today. She is very wily, and loves to play. She has stuffed toys, a mouse on a string, multiple bell balls, and a wheel + scratcher with bell balls inside.

Now, because I've never had a cat before, let alone a kitten; I don't know what behavior should be broken and what behavior is simply her being a kitten. Whenever I pick her up, she wriggles around and bites me, but if I put her on my shoulder she'll lay down and purr and allow me to pet her (which I'm using to help socialize her). She also jumps onto my bed and randomly charges at me and attacks me whenever I'm eating or typing.

I know that when she scratches the rug or climbs where she shouldn't be, those are decent times to implement discipline. But when it comes to biting, scratching, or attacking; what do I do? Will she grow out of this (she's been spayed already), or is it just how she is? The shelter nicknamed her Calamity Cat, which gives me a clue as to how she is.. LOL.

Thank you in advance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, she is just so being a kitten! Think of her as a small child, all energy and bounce, and very little idea of consequences. And she will outgrow it fairly soon. Before you know it, you will be looking back and remembering her antics with pleasure and a tiny bit of longing.

I'm going to give you links to several articles since you are new to cats and kittens. They are FULL of information and good advice. And, of course, we are always here for your questions, as well!

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

And these are going to be IMPORTANT at some point!

How To Choose The Best Veterinarian For My Cat?
How To Talk To Your Vet
Cat Vet Checkup - What To Expect

This is just a tiny sample of the many articles here at TCS, written for both beginners and experienced cat owners! Just click on "Articles" in the banner, then choose subjects such as "Cat Care" or "Cat Behavior" and you will find a wealth of information!

When you have a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your new kitten to the community. We are SO glad that you found TCS! You are never alone with your kitten now. We are the village that will help raise your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
All of this is very helpful. I have realized that she is indeed just being a playful kitten, and that it's nothing to worry about. She's more of a joy than a terror! I'll be sure to read the articles provided as well as introduce myself to the community. Thank you! :angel3:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Discipline for kittens means telling them no, distracting them or removing them from the spot where they are misbehaving, and sometimes doing all three at the same time. It is perfectly fine to start doing that now, recognizing that you may need to consistently do it many many more times before the kitten starts to learn.

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
Discipline for kittens means telling them no, distracting them or removing them from the spot where they are misbehaving, and sometimes doing all three at the same time. It is perfectly fine to start doing that now, recognizing that you may need to consistently do it many many more times before the kitten starts to learn.
I definitely do it any time she jumps onto my side table, walks over my laptop (though that's not a huge issue), scratches up the rug or the wooden posts on my bed. I remove her or tell her "no", or redirect her attention. I don't think I'd ever use a spray bottle, just to avoid the stigma around them. It doesn't seem like much fun to have a rowdy cat covered in water running all over my room, anyways. :lol:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 had some great links to post, and I'd like to add this one, lol!

Your Cat Probably Hates It When You...

My own kitty likes to only be picked up in certain ways, and loves being draped over my right shoulder when being held. Not only do we try to train cats but they train us in what they like the best! It takes time to get used to each other.
:)

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
Have you decided on a name for her yet? :hearthrob:
I've decided to name her Jane. The name they gave her at the shelter was Calamity Cat, and it made me think of Calamity Jane. I think Jane suits her pretty well. Here are some pictures of her from this morning; it's hard to get them because she doesn't sit still! Don't be fooled.. There are devil horns under that fur.

21077714_1759449277417357_8333931621052380843_n.jpg 21034206_1759449254084026_248184667706536076_n.jpg

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 had some great links to post, and I'd like to add this one, lol!

Your Cat Probably Hates It When You...

My own kitty likes to only be picked up in certain ways, and loves being draped over my right shoulder when being held. Not only do we try to train cats but they train us in what they like the best! It takes time to get used to each other.
:)
I tried the baby hold, and then I tried putting her over my shoulder. She seems to like laying over my shoulder best! If I'm close enough, she'll also jump onto my shoulders and lay across them.. I only got her yesterday but she seems to warm up quickly! :kitty:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah she is in the kitten crazies stage :) and she is beautiful. There are things you can do to train her to not attack you. Please make sure you avoid using your hands or feet in play so she doesn't get mixed messages. Lots of toys, playtime & toy rotation should help burn off that energy :) For kittens ignoring them and quiet consistent persistence works :) Take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've decided to name her Jane. The name they gave her at the shelter was Calamity Cat, and it made me think of Calamity Jane. I think Jane suits her pretty well. Here are some pictures of her from this morning; it's hard to get them because she doesn't sit still! Don't be fooled.. There are devil horns under that fur.

View attachment 193449 View attachment 193450
LOL...and she already has the "stink eye" down pat! There's a thread in the Fur Pictures section for stink-eyed kitties. Be sure to post that one there. She is SO gonna have you trained in no time flat! What an adorable little scamp has taken over your life!