Back Leg Amputation

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful Bebe went missing for 6 long days. I did all the stuff... posters on trees, walked the streets, prayed... she's very predictable, so I knew she was in trouble.

On Tuesday morning, my dog found her hiding in the garden. Lord knows how she got herself home. Her back right leg was clearly broken. X-rays showed just how badly. More shattered than broken. No way to fix her. I could have gone down the loads of surgeries, with very high risks and low chances of good outcomes, road... but I didn't want to put her through that. I have a great, experienced and compassionate vet, and we decided that amputation was the kindest and simplest option for her.

So, she's had it done and is due home in the next few days... I want to help her as much as I possible can, during this transition and recovery time. Obviously I'll take direction from the vet and I've been living with and loving my animals over the years... this is just to ask if any of you have particular experience or advice.

She's about 6 (was a rescue at a few months old) and is small, very feminine, light on her feet, kind of lyrical in nature. I'm sure we are all (Me, Bebe & Leonard the schnauzer that makes up our little family) going to find our way with this, but gosh, it is very visceral, and such a shock. I am so blown away by the extreme efforts she made to get back home... and so deeply grateful for her efforts. I want to give her everything I've got, to help her get well and dancing on her 3 legs... my little black panther of my heart.

Thanks for any feedback or advice, you have to offer.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww...I'm sorry you and your girl are having to go through this. I'm really glad you decided to amputate her leg and save her life, though. You will be so amazed at how well she will be able to move with only 3 legs! Many kitties have amputations and they do all the normal things 4 legged kitties do, jump, climb, run. The only big thing you might want to consider is making her an indoor only kitty for her safety now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was almost in your positon last year. Cat missing for 4 days and came home with a broken leg. Thankfully it was a minor single break but unhappily it was a complicated healing. I definetly consider amputation at one point as vet bills were racking up and I couldn't figure out if it was hurting him more than it was worth keeping. We stuck it out though and he is probably at 90% with some lingering issues.

All that aside, when I was facing that possibility I looked up tripod kitties. What I learned is that cats are amazingly adaptable to the loss of a limb. I'd agree that indoors only would be safer from this point (catio or add climb proof topper to fence maybe?). Other then that though I doubt you will need to make many adjustments. Maybe a low side litter box until she adjusts or a pet step onto the bed if you want. But when my boy was hobbling around on three legs immediately after his surgery (and when he first got home when I ran for the carrier to get him to the vet) he was moving incredibly well. I think she will surprise you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww...I'm sorry you and your girl are having to go through this. I'm really glad you decided to amputate her leg and save her life, though. You will be so amazed at how well she will be able to move with only 3 legs! Many kitties have amputations and they do all the normal things 4 legged kitties do, jump, climb, run. The only big thing you might want to consider is making her an indoor only kitty for her safety now.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble... and yes, I think indoors now!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*hugs* I'm sorry that this happened!

I took in a stray (Meko) that had a mauled foot and had to have one of her back legs amputated. She adjusted very well and after some initial clumsiness is just as active and bouncy as any normal cat. I never knew Meko before she lost her leg so I didn't have the rough feelings of "my cat used to have four legs and now she doesn't," but I promise, once Bebe gets through it, she will do great!

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*hugs* I'm sorry that this happened!

I took in a stray (Meko) that had a mauled foot and had to have one of her back legs amputated. She adjusted very well and after some initial clumsiness is just as active and bouncy as any normal cat. I never knew Meko before she lost her leg so I didn't have the rough feelings of "my cat used to have four legs and now she doesn't," but I promise, once Bebe gets through it, she will do great!
Thank you so much... I think I just needed a bit of reassurance xx

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've made me cry... I'm longing to get her home, maybe tomorrow... she isn't peeing fully by herself yet and can't be discharged until she can. Thank you for you very kind words xx

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She should recover in no time! Our rescue pulled a tripod cat from a shelter and you would have never known she had three legs!
We also just caught a cat at one of our colonies that we thought needed his leg amputated. The vet doesn't think it is necessary- his leg had been broken a while and healed itself so now his leg isn't really functional, but it doesn't hurt him. So he just drags it behind him. That didn't hinder him from running from us for weeks while we tried to catch him though lol.
Good luck with your little tripod!

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She should recover in no time! Our rescue pulled a tripod cat from a shelter and you would have never known she had three legs!
We also just caught a cat at one of our colonies that we thought needed his leg amputated. The vet doesn't think it is necessary- his leg had been broken a while and healed itself so now his leg isn't really functional, but it doesn't hurt him. So he just drags it behind him. That didn't hinder him from running from us for weeks while we tried to catch him though lol.
Good luck with your little tripod!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am starting to relax a bit now she's home. Obviously she's feeling battered from being hit by the car and a big surgery, but I can see she'll be okay. And, she's so happy to be at home with me.

CarolinaBobbalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you happen to watch Vet Ranch on YouTube? They do many amputations and the tranformation in those animals is truly amazing. I would highly suggest looking up some of those videos. Be warned: some do feature graphic surgeries.
Thank you... I will, though maybe not this week. Not really up for graphic whilst she's still so raw!