Bach Essences Question

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure this is a behavior issue - not a health one...

Tigger, at age 20, is doing quite well, except during the night she seems to want me to wake up and be with her. I thought she was hungry, so I've tried getting up several times a night and feeding her, but as soon as I lie down, she's tromping on my head and Mrrrrrr-ing. She has no trouble sleeping during the day.

Also, when we got her 6 years ago, she was an early riser then, because the maintenance man would feed her at 5:30 a.m. at the shelter.
And, I was told that her owner had died. Sometimes I think maybe the owner died in bed? And Tigger wants me up to make sure I'm ok?

Anyway, does anyone have experience with the Bach Essences or any other natural remedy that might help her sleep or be more calm during the night? (I'm selfish - 4 hours of sleep just isn't enough! LOL)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sweetie, when was the last time she was at the vet? I'm sure you know....changes in behavior can be indicative of a health problem.
When Tuxedo developed his autoimmune problem, the only indication (initially) was that when we moved into a room he was in (like he was in the living room and we went to go sit in there), he'd turn his back to us and lie facing away from us. We noticed it... and thought it was a little strange.

After a little while, if we'd move into a room he was in, he'd get up and leave.

Gary said - maybe we should take him to the vet? I thought he was nuts.

Then we found him eating litter - and did take him to the vet. Unfortunately, our vet had never had a cat with this disease and didn't know that eating litter was indicative of anemia. He'd just had his blood work done like two months before, so he sent us home with some vitamins and said he thought it wasn't anything to worry about.

When we noticed he wasn't playing as much, wasn't as nasty to the other cats as normal, and was losing weight, we went to our new vet (who saved Flowerbelle's life) - and discovered he was terribly anemic. The situation had gotten so bad we almost lost him.

I say all of this not to scare you - but to let you know that sometimes things can change quickly - and sometimes it's just small changes in behavior that are the only sign. In a 20-year old kitty, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the discuss with vet... Older cats like older humans do get Dimentia ...

there are other natural calming aids that may help... Bach has so many essenses I cant tell you if one or two state they will aid in slumber...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I just say God Bless him for making it to 20!!! I am sure your love and care for him over the past 6 years had so much to do with it!!!
Now, this may sound crazy, but my best friend had an elderly cat that began showing odd behavior; one example was waking her up several times during the night for no obvious reason. Of course, a vet trip was in order. The conclusion was eventually reached that her precious baby had dementia. Her 19 y/o was experiencing senility! Well, she continued to have a pretty good quality of life before she past away. Your story just brought back that memory. I wanted to share it with you. Bellaandme hope for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks SOOOOO much everyone for responding. I think I'm getting cranky from sleep deprivation!
You know, a few weeks ago I did think dementia because she was kind of howling like she was lost after I fed her.

Vet trip definitely in order, I noticed a bad tooth the other day. But again, thanks for answering. I just hate to feel alone, you know!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That bad tooth smell can be a sign of other health issues too inside with internal organs, along with the behavioral issues, a vet visit for bloodwork is 100% in order here, I would go ASAP.