Baby Food For Kitten/cat

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All

Curious...For how long is it okay to feed a kitten baby food? and how often? and is it okay to feed kitten food occasionally to an adult cat (1 yr old) ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is it okay to feed BABY food occasionally***

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Pashamartli, a kitten needs all the nutrients it need in it"s growing age. All proteins and nutrients are found in wet food.

A kitten will mature at the age of one year old for the smaller breeds and it takes up to 2-4 years for the bigger breeds. So from kitten to age 1, best is to feed them with food meant for kittens OR feed them food that are labeled 'For All Life Stages'.

Yes, you can feed kitten food to adult cats occasionally if you think they are under nourished or maybe after an illness to help them regain loss of nutrients.

You can all continue to feed them the food labeled 'For All Life Stages' even though they are already adults.

A kitten need to be fed around 4 times a day. Feed them as much as they can eat at one sitting. After a few feeds, you'll roughly gauge how much they eat at one go. You can never over feed a kitten.

Their food intake will taper down as they grow older and at the point when they are having growth spurt, maybe close to adult age, they tend to eat more. So don't worry about overfeeding them. You want a healthy cat, don't you? And also don't worry when they eat less when they are at adult age. As adult, their food intake and number of feeds will be less.

My boy is on food meant 'For All Life Stages' since he was 3 weeks old and under nourished because he was a rescue till now and he is already slightly past 2 years 8 months old. I feed him as much as he can eat when he was a kitten and till today, I still feed him as much as he can eat but he does not over eat.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are talking about baby food made for HUMAN babies, this is not complete nutrition for a kitten or cat. Meat baby food is okay to use as an occasional treat for a kitten or cat, as long as your cat's primary diet is complete and balanced.

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent! Thank you so much both for the replies. TABBYTOM! Really appreciate the very information reply! I've never fed my cat baby food, however, on this site I have read that people are feeding their kittens/cats baby food which really sparked my interest :) I am feeding my cat (1yr old now) organic dry and wet food with fancy feast occasionally as he is in love with that stuff. However, I do want to provide something extra nutritional other than the home boiled chicken or broth. I might give him baby food every now and then, I dont even know if he will like it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
however, on this site I have read that people are feeding their kittens/cats baby food
This is only when the cat is refusing any other food or is sick and need to eat else the health will deteriorate. It’s just a stop gap to entice the cat to eat again for the current situation.

Once the cat is eating again and feeling better with eating it’s normal food, then the feeding of human baby food will stop.

And not all human baby food are suitable for the cats. There’s only one or two flavors that are ok. Garlic is toxic to cats.

Wet food is best in my opinion as it keeps the cat hydrated.

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok thanks :)
My cat was missing for 2 weeks and found with a broken pelvis and dehydrated starving and extremely skinny pretty much generally just in miserable condition (this all happened about 3 weeks ago)..went to the 24 hour vet emergency and then to normal vet next day where he was kept for 5 days on serum etc etc- So anyway he is well on his way to recovery now. Just resting and trying to get his weight back up. I fed him hills a/d and fancy feast and also a dry organic cat food too which he wasnt a fan of (never really was a fan of dry food) so i mixed wet food and dry which worked out well. given him broth and boiled chicken etc. his weight is back up however, since yesterday he hasnt been eating so well. I just ducked out at work and bought some more hills a/d from the vet new my work. Im going to mix that and dry food for the next few days and probably get some protein (meat flavors if they exist) baby food for him to snack on in small portions in between meals.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your poor kitty! Was he hit by a car, do you think? How did you find him? Can we have a photo from before his accident? Sending him lots of healing vibes.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he prefers wet food, I would just stick to that. Wet food is better for cats anyway, especially for male cats. If he got hurt outside by a car or something, I would try to keep him indoors and take him out for occasional walks. Hope he recovers soon!

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aww sorry for leaving a story unfinished, i drifted off topic...yes the vet assumes this amount of damage could have been done by a car :( i dont understand why people dont just pick up the poor damn cat and drop them off to a vet!!!! 1st photo was taken within the 1st hour of finding him. 2nd photo is him at the vet..3rd photo is him NOW :) And final photo was him before all of this you can see how carefree he was in comparison to him now ...
VETB