Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yay retirement!
It won't be easy when I go back to school in the fall and I'll be doing that and work. But at least no matter what if we're not home our kitties will have each other!
Working while going to school is really the pits.  I've been there.  I remember coming home at 3:30 pm from school and sleeping for 30 minutes until i had to leave for work.  That nap was the only way I got through. 

Having two cats is a good idea I think if you're going to be gone for long hours. 

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raise your hand if you ever find your kitties in just the strangest of places :wavey: you know underneath a box spring mattress there's a thin felt-like cloth running the whole of it? Well there's a hole in mine, so if it gets really quiet around here I've found that's where she's sneaking around. I can't fit under the bed so it takes a few minutes to coax her out of there!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Raise your hand if you ever find your kitties in just the strangest of places
you know underneath a box spring mattress there's a thin felt-like cloth running the whole of it? Well there's a hole in mine, so if it gets really quiet around here I've found that's where she's sneaking around. I can't fit under the bed so it takes a few minutes to coax her out of there!
I heard a similar story about kitties getting into holes in box spring covers under the bed.   My friend had just adopted a kitten and it disappeared it's first night.  She looked everywhere and couldn't find it and finally thought to look there and sure enough - a little head poked out.  I know Chula has a place she hides but I actually haven't found it yet but I figure it's probably pretty strange so I'll raise my hand. 

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I heard a similar story about kitties getting into holes in box spring covers under the bed.   My friend had just adopted a kitten and it disappeared it's first night.  She looked everywhere and couldn't find it and finally thought to look there and sure enough - a little head poked out.  I know Chula has a place she hides but I actually haven't found it yet but I figure it's probably pretty strange so I'll raise my hand.  :wavey:
Haha Chula seems to be quite the ninja then! I'm actually probably pretty lucky I figured out that's where she was or I would have gone straight to crisis mode!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have any trouble finding either cat, though sometimes the kitten does wiggle underneath a shelf. There aren't too many places for them to hide.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If they are used to getting up at 7:00AM most mornings, they are going to be there bright eyed and roaring to go at 7:00 AM even if it's sleep in time for  you.  My old black cat Wesley was terrible about waking me up in the middle of the night to eat.  He used to dig one claw into my head anywhere from midnight to 4:00 AM.   I used to sleep with a pillow over my head sometimes.   It didn't work closing my door with him on the other side, he and his brother in arms just pounded on it and meowed all night long until I finally caved.  If you can hold out longer against the demands than I did, maybe shutting them out of your room at night is an answer.
At this point, because Eddie is still the 'new cat', I've been more lenient on him than I was on Binx. I'm also trying to reset my internal alarm clock for my next semester... but 7:00am sometimes is too early. I still have most of their toys confiscated, and am partially ignoring them so they're forced to interact more. This is because Binx still needs to learn when to stop pestering Eddie, and Eddie needs to learn how to play with Binx (as well as put him in his place if need be). I step in if Eddie starts his "seriously, quit it" meowing, with a loud, spitting hiss, or growl of my own, which makes Binx back off more than anything! Binx is a bit more aggressive in his kitty play

What I'm hoping for, in the long run, is that they become friendly enough to keep themselves entertained until I'M ready to face the day.

Right now the routine is I don't get up till I'm good and ready, make breakfast, and while I'm brewing my coffee, I feed the kiddos their lysine treats and breakfast. Then I have my coffee and food in (relative) peace.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

At this point, because Eddie is still the 'new cat', I've been more lenient on him than I was on Binx. I'm also trying to reset my internal alarm clock for my next semester... but 7:00am sometimes is too early. I still have most of their toys confiscated, and am partially ignoring them so they're forced to interact more. This is because Binx still needs to learn when to stop pestering Eddie, and Eddie needs to learn how to play with Binx (as well as put him in his place if need be). I step in if Eddie starts his "seriously, quit it" meowing, with a loud, spitting hiss, or growl of my own, which makes Binx back off more than anything! Binx is a bit more aggressive in his kitty play

What I'm hoping for, in the long run, is that they become friendly enough to keep themselves entertained until I'M ready to face the day.

Right now the routine is I don't get up till I'm good and ready, make breakfast, and while I'm brewing my coffee, I feed the kiddos their lysine treats and breakfast. Then I have my coffee and food in (relative) peace.
Well, maybe when they become friends they'll interact and let you sleep but it is equally likely they will gang up on you. 
  You don't really understand stereo until you've had a cat meowing in each ear at 5:00 AM!

It sounds like you've got things mostly under control, though.  At least you get to make breakfast and start your coffee before you feed them.  When I had my rainbow kitties Wesley and Milo, I would crawl out of bed in the AM and before I was even really awake, I'd be in the kitchen spooning out cat food into their bowls.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I confiscated toys, I would never be able to get any sleep. My cat easily sleeps through the night without bugging us until morning. The kitten is the one who needs to be entertained all of the time. She has tons of toys that keep her entertained. Although the kitten and cat play they don't do this at night since Carrot knows it is sleeping time and enjoys sleeping.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Fluffy still loved Birdie and was playing with it even after the dismemberment.  Sadly he was not up to the task or her sharp teeth.

View media item 286779
He will be missed, at least until his replacement is found.   
Ha ha ha ha!!!!  That's pretty funny.  Paul and Chula actually pull the vanes of the feather off so it looks half bald.  I hope you get a replacement soon!

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Death March Please  :boohoo:

Dearly beloved we are gathered here today to bid a fond farewell to Da Bird.  He was a good friend always up for a game or two.  Sadly this morning one of his feathers was ripped off by an enthusiastic Eclipse who was determined to take him out in the tunnel.  It did not survive the tug of war to get it back in the house.

View media item 286778

Fluffy still loved Birdie and was playing with it even after the dismemberment.  Sadly he was not up to the task or her sharp teeth.

View media item 286779

NOOOOOOOO :bawling: And I was only just starting to learn of the glorious Da Bird (may he rest in pieces). He will remain forever in our hearts :grphug2:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View media item 286779
How sad! My cats love to bend the feathers so now da bird flies very crookedly. Carrot also has learned how to untie knots with his teeth so he is able to actually remove the bottom part of the toy entirely. I have to have the hardware triple knotted on so that he doesn't steal the whole thing right off the string.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well, maybe when they become friends they'll interact and let you sleep but it is equally likely they will gang up on you. 
  You don't really understand stereo until you've had a cat meowing in each ear at 5:00 AM!

It sounds like you've got things mostly under control, though.  At least you get to make breakfast and start your coffee before you feed them.  When I had my rainbow kitties Wesley and Milo, I would crawl out of bed in the AM and before I was even really awake, I'd be in the kitchen spooning out cat food into their bowls.
Spooning cat food into bowls is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning every morning. Sophie will not tolerate anything else. I get scolded if she thinks I am taking too long to fill the dishes and if she really gets annoyed, she jumps up on the kitchen counter to supervise and scold me some more- only louder.  She's the one who wakes me up every day. Lilith doesn't. It must be an agreement between them. We have a routine. Sophie wakes me,  I feed the girls in the kitchen and then bring Henry's breakfast into his room. Then it's litter box scooping time starting out with the 2 boxes in Henry's room so I can close the door behind me when I leave and let him eat in peace. Then it's off to the girls' 3 boxes in my room. I walk the dog when I take the bag with the used litter to the outside trash can and then I can do whatever I want for myself. 

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 View media item 286775  View media item 286776Some Wanda blurry pictures I really like:

View media item 286781   View media item 286782   View media item 286783  View media item 286784  View media item 286785

View media item 286779
R.I.Pieces 

PS: Finally caught up! 

Last edited:

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If I confiscated toys, I would never be able to get any sleep. My cat easily sleeps through the night without bugging us until morning. The kitten is the one who needs to be entertained all of the time. She has tons of toys that keep her entertained. Although the kitten and cat play they don't do this at night since Carrot knows it is sleeping time and enjoys sleeping.
@NewYork1303

I leave a few toys out at night, but ones that they can play solo with- I'm not THAT mean, hahaha!!! I always try to incorporate one on one play, but trying to keep them separated is a mess, because if I put Eddie up to play toss and chase with Binx, Eddie will start meowing, and Binx will run to the bedroom door, henceforth ignoring our playtime. Same sort of goes for Eddie, but he's usually more inclined to ignore Binx in favor of Da Bird, various other wands I have squirreled away, or the laser pointer.

Frankly, I think the biggest issue is that Eddie is used to a typical human circadian rhythm, while Binx is not. I have tried training Binx, but he is determined to be crepuscular! I'm hoping in time that Eddie will help with getting Binx on my circadian rhythm, lol, because I have obviously failed as a cat mom.

I swear, I just jump in headfirst with things, impatience be "darned".

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Spooning cat food into bowls is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning every morning. Sophie will not tolerate anything else. I get scolded if she thinks I am taking too long to fill the dishes and if she really gets annoyed, she jumps up on the kitchen counter to supervise and scold me some more- only louder.  She's the one who wakes me up every day. Lilith doesn't. It must be an agreement between them. We have a routine. Sophie wakes me,  I feed the girls in the kitchen and then bring Henry's breakfast into his room. Then it's litter box scooping time starting out with the 2 boxes in Henry's room so I can close the door behind me when I leave and let him eat in peace. Then it's off to the girls' 3 boxes in my room. I walk the dog when I take the bag with the used litter to the outside trash can and then I can do whatever I want for myself. 
You have to go through all that before you get to eat?  Wow!  At least I got to eat before scooping litter.  You are a truly devoted cat and dog Mom.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You have to go through all that before you get to eat?  Wow!  At least I got to eat before scooping litter.  You are a truly devoted cat and dog Mom.
It's easier that way. If I didn't, Sophie would squawk at me until I fed her. They don't care when the boxes get done, as long as they DO get done 

This way, I get all that done and out of the way, they are happy and then I can focus on anything else. Walking the dog and then furkid dinner time is the also the very first thing I do when I get home after work. Same reason except now I have the dog AND Sophie nagging me for food. We have a routine there too. 

1. Walk dog

2. Feed dog (she eats first since she only eats once a day)

3. Feed cats

Relax and make dinner for me (and DD if she is home). 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@NewYork1303

I leave a few toys out at night, but ones that they can play solo with- I'm not THAT mean, hahaha!!! I always try to incorporate one on one play, but trying to keep them separated is a mess, because if I put Eddie up to play toss and chase with Binx, Eddie will start meowing, and Binx will run to the bedroom door, henceforth ignoring our playtime. Same sort of goes for Eddie, but he's usually more inclined to ignore Binx in favor of Da Bird, various other wands I have squirreled away, or the laser pointer.

Frankly, I think the biggest issue is that Eddie is used to a typical human circadian rhythm, while Binx is not. I have tried training Binx, but he is determined to be crepuscular! I'm hoping in time that Eddie will help with getting Binx on my circadian rhythm, lol, because I have obviously failed as a cat mom.

I swear, I just jump in headfirst with things, impatience be "darned".
Oh good! Both cats were having trouble not meowing loudly too early in the morning when we first got Angua but they have since settled down. Angua was even upset that I got up this morning, so there is progress!

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh good! Both cats were having trouble not meowing loudly too early in the morning when we first got Angua but they have since settled down. Angua was even upset that I got up this morning, so there is progress!
@NewYork1303

Binx's meowing has settled down with the arrival of Eddie, but Eddie is a meow-machine. He's a black DSH, that I swear is actually a Siamese in disguise. Binx is a virtually silent cat, so they make the oddest of cat couples, lol.

I just talked to Eddie's foster mom, asking if he meowed during kitty play, and from what she told me, apparently Eddie meows during EVERYTHING, including kitty play-fights!

And here I was, having anxiety attacks for no reason -_- crap! I kept breaking them up when I'd hear Eddie meowing, because I was concerned Eddie was being bullied by Binx! Hopefully I haven't discouraged them entirely from playing with one another.

I'm also still trying to figure out how to time their meals so they're not starving in the morning- although THIS morning I found the puzzle feeder as full as it had been when I filled it last night. Not a happy Momma for being dragged out of bed by incessant whining for food. Brats.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@NewYork1303

Binx's meowing has settled down with the arrival of Eddie, but Eddie is a meow-machine. He's a black DSH, that I swear is actually a Siamese in disguise. Binx is a virtually silent cat, so they make the oddest of cat couples, lol.

I just talked to Eddie's foster mom, asking if he meowed during kitty play, and from what she told me, apparently Eddie meows during EVERYTHING, including kitty play-fights!

And here I was, having anxiety attacks for no reason -_- crap! I kept breaking them up when I'd hear Eddie meowing, because I was concerned Eddie was being bullied by Binx! Hopefully I haven't discouraged them entirely from playing with one another.

I'm also still trying to figure out how to time their meals so they're not starving in the morning- although THIS morning I found the puzzle feeder as full as it had been when I filled it last night. Not a happy Momma for being dragged out of bed by incessant whining for food. Brats.
Our cats get dry kibble out all night so they have no excuse to whine for food. They also don't have a regular schedule for wet food. Since Carrot won't eat wet food, Angua gets half a can of wet food at some point during the day, but not always the same point. She never knows when she'll get it and is fine eating dry food in the meantime. Carrot is the real talker for sure, he meows while playing, when he wants attention, and sometimes when he just feels like talking. Since Angua is a kitten she seems to be learning this behavior from him slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.