Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will get my fiance to send me the picture that he took of the driftwood tower.  It sounds like his dad or his sister should be able to help with transportation so thank goodness for that. 

Here is a picture with our small driftwood perch that we bought back before we even brought Carrot home. 

View media item 286210

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, nice little perch - purrfectly positioned for pouncing on or pawing at someone's head as they sleep should Carrot feel a little bored and peckish through the night.  

I bet a taller version of that will look lovely.  Does the wood get clawed and shredded in the same way as sizal covered posts do?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Carrot is such a beautiful cat - ginger tabbies are so wonderful!  The driftwood perch is great.  I could use two of those myself.  They would fit in my tiny living room and the guys would love them. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@MServant  Since neither cat is really into vertical scratching it does not. But the wood is definitely soft enough for it. My rainbow kitty had a wood part of our deck outside which was her favorite scratching place. Even though Carrot goes out on his harness and has seen and smelled this area. He has never scratched it.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Carrot is such a beautiful cat - ginger tabbies are so wonderful!  The driftwood perch is great.  I could use two of those myself.  They would fit in my tiny living room and the guys would love them. 
   Now I am seeing them in a lovely spacious bedroom and used like bedside tables of the kitty kind.  
   Nice wall standing reading lamps so the bulb heat warmed the kitty platform - what more could everyone ask for?  Oh yes, a little pocket on the side of the platform for where to put the book and reading glasses when ready for a bit of shut-eye.  

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got my cat a scratching post and he scratches everything but the scratching post, so we gave it away, but he likes to scratch the couches :smshfrk:

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ever tried putting a scratching post in the place he targets most with his scratching? Placement is so important when getting cats to scratch on posts instead of furniture.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We got my cat a scratching post and he scratches everything but the scratching post, so we gave it away, but he likes to scratch the couches
When I got Ruby her cat tree/scratching post, she literally started to scratch at it as I was bringing it in the front door! 

It's been a little over a year and it's looking pretty mangled in spots.  Trying to figure out whether to buy a new one, or try to replace the carpet on it.

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we put it where he liked to scratch the couch, and he just went around it and scratched the couch behind it, then we moved it to another place he scratches but he did the same thing, he is funny

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooh, bad kitty @Arielthechunk22
    Somehow I think of your cat scratching away at your sofa intently while looking over towards you - waiting to get told off attention.  
   The gray cat brother of my previous tabbies would do that on a regular basis.   Do you have any fabric scraps that are a similar texture that you could place over where he targets?  I am so lucky as I've never had a cat that's targeted furniture like that.   

Mouse isn't targeting anything today - he seems to be glued to the end of my bed with his eyes shut.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats! :rolleyes: There are loads of tricks to teach cats to use scratching posts. Sometimes they just prefer a different surface too - sisal, carpet, cardboard etc. It sounds like you're ok with him using your sofa though, so that's fine too :lol3:

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooooh, bad kitty @Arielthechunk22
:sigh:     Somehow I think of your cat scratching away at your sofa intently while looking over towards you - waiting to get told off attention.  :disa:    The gray cat brother of my previous tabbies would do that on a regular basis.   Do you have any fabric scraps that are a similar texture that you could place over where he targets?  I am so lucky as I've never had a cat that's targeted furniture like that.   

Mouse isn't targeting anything today - he seems to be glued to the end of my bed with his eyes shut.  :lol3:
I havent thought about peices of fabric to use, that could be a great idea! I hope it works and he likes it, he could be stubborn sometimes:lol3:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Arielthechunk22    Beware - if I remember correctly the gray cat I was telling you about would tuck his paws neatly under any nice flaps of fabric he found and you would find huge holes where he had destroyed the unerlying areas....  
   It can work really well but  you do have to check for sneaky behaviour!    You might even manage to transfer the scratching from the sofa to somewhere else if he takes to scenting on the patch and you move it on to something you would prefer he showed off on.  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I saw the pictures earlier of Carrot. I just love the name Carrot for an orange cat.

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its funny because we got these things to cover the parts of the couch he was scratching because they started looking horrendous, but I have caught him scratching those cover things before, and now, he doesn't just scratch the corner, he goes across the whole couch pulling himself with his front paws, he puts his clawws in the couch and pulls so that he drags himself across and sometimes walks sideways across the couch too, he pulls with his front and back claws across, he can scratch the floor though, it is the same material as the couch.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Its funny because we got these things to cover the parts of the couch he was scratching because they started looking horrendous, but I have caught him scratching those cover things before, and now, he doesn't just scratch the corner, he goes across the whole couch pulling himself with his front paws, he puts his clawws in the couch and pulls so that he drags himself across and sometimes walks sideways across the couch too, he pulls with his front and back claws across, he can scratch the floor though, it is the same material as the couch.
Gosh, your poor couch!  I actually gave up once on a chair that my cats insisted on scratching.  Just turned it into an overstuffed scratching post and let them go to town.  Of course it looked dreadful, but they were happy! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Gosh, your poor couch!  I actually gave up once on a chair that my cats insisted on scratching.  Just turned it into an overstuffed scratching post and let them go to town.  Of course it looked dreadful, but they were happy! 
Sad to say but the couch does sound like it is one very large scratching zone to me....  
   It isn't little patches you need, it's a 'new' cover for him to destroy. 
   On the other hand, it does sound like he's having a whole load of fun there. 

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he sure looks like he is having fun, even though he is destroying my property:lol3: it is like his favorite spot to scratch:lol2:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's very interesting arielthechunk22 arielthechunk22 . It sounds like he'd really like horizontal scratchers - like those corrugated cardboard ones in a box. Parton the battle is working out what position they prefer to scratch from.

Status
Not open for further replies.