Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@GrizzlySapien  Haha, you're so funny. Ig = Instagram. Snapchat is where you snap a photo with your phone & send it a friend, but it only appears on their phone for a short time. Personally, I think it's stupid because I could always take a screen shot of my phone & keep the photo. Vine is an app where you share short videos. There are a lot of people who have become somewhat celebrities on these apps. Thousands or even millions of followers. I don't know if they make money on there, but you can definitely make a good deal of money on youtube. 

But really, you're not missing anything with Snapchat or Vine!
Snapchat is really scary actually. You don't even have to take a screenshot (which notifies people that you have done this). There is actually a way to go into the app through the files on a phone and pull up every single one that has been received. Totally defies the point of this pointless app.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@GrizzlySapien   But think about it this way: for the younger generation who never knew life without social media - that is  what relationships are. How can you expect them to separate out what is a normal, huge part of how they interact? They meet a classmate at school and chat online. They meet an online person and chat online - it's the same thing. 

We can sit back and say it's not real intimacy, that online communication simply creates a false sense of intimacy - but that's sort of an unhelpful viewpoint when you consider that for someone growing up now, there is no way to differentiate online communication from ... online communication.  Betrayal is really only a matter of personal definition. To someone who sees online relationships as normal, then falsely presenting who you are in an online interaction is a betrayal, just the same as if someone you chat with every day lies to you in a face to face conversation. 

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a side note: BINX! Quit harassing Eddie, or I'm going to put you in time out again!!! -_- silly fuzzy-butt... he's going to alienate his new brother at this rate. Yet, each time I separate them, both start meowing!!! It's infuriatingly confusing!!!

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GrizzlySapien  You've never heard of YouTube!? Most of the youtubers/beauty gurus on there make money from advertising, like you said. They millions or even tens of millions of followers & each video gets hundreds of thousands of views. So if they activate the ads, they get paid per view. But that is just the beginning. Many also make money from sponsorships & product lines. There are youtubers in commercials on tv (Colgate), plus they'll get paid to be at events. If you're doing it right, you don't have to work & can make a full time wage. Great for them! 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

On a side note: BINX! Quit harassing Eddie, or I'm going to put you in time out again!!! -_- silly fuzzy-butt... he's going to alienate his new brother at this rate. Yet, each time I separate them, both start meowing!!! It's infuriatingly confusing!!!
I was really startled when you last talked about Binx since a cat by the same name was just adopted from a local shelter. Not the same cat though. This one was a tabby. I thought it was a small world for a bit.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yeah! It's like someone posting #silkyhairfirmbooty AND #usedtobeaguy on the same tweet.. 

Oh, and Facebook drama? It is a reality! It actually exists! And it does happen every 5 mins! So, I quit logging in.. Too much! 

How does one make money our of Youtube? I've never heard of it..! Plus, I do think that all those pages and apps are being funded by the ads featured.. Which is perfectly understandable and logical.
Hahaha #usedtobeaguy
 That's a good one! Not completely related, but I just remember a picture of a "girl' online and she had the best figure I've seen! It made me very envious of her 
 It's amazing how sometimes they take better care of their body than most us natural-born girls 

Yeah. I was getting drama on my private FB feed which is why I stopped entering a lot on there.

As for making money off YouTube (YT), as you mentioned, all pages and apps have ads which pay good money to be there. I've heard that you can "monetize" your videos, since every time someone enters to see your video, they page refreshes an add and YT gets money for it, YT "shares" the payment with you and you will get paid a certain amount of money. Maybe $0.01 a view? And in time it adds up.

I also hear there are tiers for earning money depending on your popularity. If you have millions and millions of subscribers, you get, let's say $0.05 instead of 1 cent since they are sure you are reaching more people. They aren't allowed to share the amount of money they get paid, so several youtubers have made videos explaining how it works but not saying amounts 

Last edited:

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@NewYork1303  Hahaha, no, my Binx is a Maltese/RB/No idea blue cat. I just took in his brother, a black DSH named Eddie (who is quite vocal). Binx is WAY EXCITED to have a kitty playmate, but Eddie is a little older, and it looks as though Binx doesn't understand that Eddie isn't ready to "kitty play" just yet. Heck, he's only been home for a few days. They're fine eating together, chilling together (don't know about the sleeping situation, because I'm a log), but when Binx feels playful... he goes a little overboard.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Raksha They sound adorable. My cat and kitten are similar to how you describe. They will eat out of the same bowl literally taking turns. There are two bowls but they just use one. They hang out in the same space and do some playing and sleeping together, but when the kitten gets to crazy the cat says "Enough!"

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, have you guys ever heard of/used a product called Stop That! by Sentry? It's a can of compressed air that makes a loud hissing sound and releases a calming lavender fragrance. You spray it while your cat is misbehaving like you would a water bottle. I just bought it a few days ago and (luckily!) have only had to use it a couple of times, but it seems to be very effective so far. Just wondering if you all have any experience with it.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@GrizzlySapien   I understand the usefulness of hashtags... I suppose my rant was more about the rampant misuse and overuse of the darn things. I've steadfastly avoided a twitter account, simply because FB gets the job done for me. I can keep in touch with my friends that are far away from me, relatives that I actually want to keep in touch with, and interesting news.
@Raksha  yes, I totally agree with you on that one. I believe Twitter is better used in some purposes, and FB is better used in other purposes. 

@GrizzlySapien   But think about it this way: for the younger generation who never knew life without social media - that is  what relationships are. How can you expect them to separate out what is a normal, huge part of how they interact? They meet a classmate at school and chat online. They meet an online person and chat online - it's the same thing. 

We can sit back and say it's not real intimacy, that online communication simply creates a false sense of intimacy - but that's sort of an unhelpful viewpoint when you consider that for someone growing up now, there is no way to differentiate online communication from ... online communication.  Betrayal is really only a matter of personal definition. To someone who sees online relationships as normal, then falsely presenting who you are in an online interaction is a betrayal, just the same as if someone you chat with every day lies to you in a face to face conversation. 
@Losna  I understand where you're coming from and what you 're saying. I totally agree. Because what you say is the reality. All of us use the means we have and go by with what we learn on the way. I will insist though, that there must be at least ONE parent out there who might tell their kid "You know? This is not the most legit way to get to know someone". Plus, "hiding behind a monitor" can be tricky. How can you know that I am talking to you and I am not some terrorist? Only IF or WHEN you spend time with me, will you know who I am and if I can be a good friend for example. 

And it gets spookier when the objective becomes of more intimate nature.. i wouldn't trust my daughter talking online with a boy, that might end up being some 50year old pervert.. ! 

And IMO, one CAN indeed differentiate online communication from face to face communication. We encourage our pets to socialize, but we let our children unsocialized and that's normal? (I am not saying YOU do.. just trying to make a point 
 ) I beg to differ. 

@GrizzlySapien  You've never heard of YouTube!? Most of the youtubers/beauty gurus on there make money from advertising, like you said. They millions or even tens of millions of followers & each video gets hundreds of thousands of views. So if they activate the ads, they get paid per view. But that is just the beginning. Many also make money from sponsorships & product lines. There are youtubers in commercials on tv (Colgate), plus they'll get paid to be at events. If you're doing it right, you don't have to work & can make a full time wage. Great for them! 
@rlavach  No, I know YouTube, I just didn't know you can make money as a user on YouTube 

and @MagiksGirl  is giving us the full manual on how to do it 

Hahaha #usedtobeaguy
 That's a good one! Not completely related, but I just remember a picture of a "girl' online and she had the best figure I've seen! It made me very envious of her 
 It's amazing how sometimes they take better care of their body than most us natural-born girls 

Yeah. I was getting drama on my private FB feed which is why I stopped entering a lot on there.

As for making money off YouTube (YT), as you mentioned, all pages and apps have ads which pay good money to be there. I've heard that you can "monetize" your videos, since every time someone enters to see your video, they page refreshes an add and YT gets money for it, YT "shares" the payment with you and you will get paid a certain amount of money. Maybe $0.01 a view? And in time it adds up.

I also hear there are tiers for earning money depending on your popularity. If you have millions and millions of subscribers, you get, let's say $0.05 instead of 1 cent since they are sure you are reaching more people. They aren't allowed to share the amount of money they get paid, so several youtubers have made videos explaining how it works but not saying amounts 

I'll look it up! ......    (Grizzly! I found you a job!)

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, have you guys ever heard of/used a product called Stop That! by Sentry? It's a can of compressed air that makes a loud hissing sound and releases a calming lavender fragrance. You spray it while your cat is misbehaving like you would a water bottle. I just bought it a few days ago and (luckily!) have only had to use it a couple of times, but it seems to be very effective so far. Just wondering if you all have any experience with it.
I don't have experience with this. I can't use any product with lavender since I am allergic to it. Sounds interesting though my cats are mostly well behaved.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of it, but I've never used anything like that with my cats...voice works well enough for me :) (they really are my furkids :lol3: )

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Paul and Chula never misbehave.  It's actually kind of taken me aback because I'm used to cats and their interesting little ways and a total lack of naughtiness kind of stumps me. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*determined not to go to bed and miss the finale!*

Back in a bit - off to see to the dogs. I don't seem to have as much to say tonight :slant:

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This has been the shortest babbling contest we have had that I remember. I think everybody has joined in and babbled away. :lol3:

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*determined not to go to bed and miss the finale!*

Back in a bit - off to see to the dogs. I don't seem to have as much to say tonight
Is it possible that we are coming to the end of things to babble about? I really hope people keep posting so that we can get to 1500 soon!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Is it possible that we are coming to the end of things to babble about? I really hope people keep posting so that we can get to 1500 soon!
Well, I tried bragging about how my cats were the best ever but no one took the bait

I hope we make it to 1500, too.   There is always the weather.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I tried bragging about how my cats were the best ever but no one took the bait

I hope we make it to 1500, too.   There is always the weather.
Ha ha. Maybe we need reasons or a persuasive argument on why your cats are the best. :p

Here the sky is blah and the weather is blah. Which I'm happy about since it has been too warm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.