Azythromicin - Loss Of Appetite?

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're on day 17 of azythromicin, following a "strong" diagnosis of bartonella and 11 tooth extractions + stomatitis. Over the past few days, he's been eating much less, similar to where he was prior to the extractions/diagnosis. Up until this time his appetite had picked up a great deal, eating 3-4 cans of food per day. Is loss of appetite common after such a long time on the antibiotic?

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think with it's highly possible with having teeth removed, bartonella and stomachitis. I would call into your vet and ask to confirm. They might want to add something to help with the appetite.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've read that antibiotics can cause loss of appetite in cats. I know this was awhile ago. How is your cat doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've read that antibiotics can cause loss of appetite in cats. I know this was awhile ago. How is your cat doing now?
Thanks for checking in! I have him on a few supplements now (Plaque Off, Lysine), and changed his food over to all Limited Ingredient Rabbit, as recommended by a nutritionist (chicken = inflammatory). While I still notice a little pain from time to time, he's much better and appetite picked back up. Certainly a condition it seems we'll have to manage for his lifetime, but hoping we've at least found a way to keep it relatively under control.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's good, glad to hear it. I've been giving my cat DMG liquid supplement in the last few days because her appetite was low. Its been improving her appetite and peping her up a bit. Its supposed to be good for immune system, diabetes, the liver and seizures. Good luck to your baby.