Auto-feeder Tips: Wet Food, Multiple Cats

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I've looked through a number of posts on the forums, and haven't found precisely what I'm looking for... if it is buried in there, I apologize for redundancy :)

I have two kittens, approximately 5 months old. Needless to say, they eat A LOT at this stage. We've been giving them a predominantly wet diet, with a small scoop of dry on occasion when they're left alone for more than a few hours, and after bedtime feeding to give them a free-feed snack while we're asleep.

Every morning they've been waking us up earlier and earlier with nipping our legs and toes, licking our faces, and endless cries.

I've tried all of the behavioral tips and tricks; not reinforcing their behavior, making them wait for morning feeding (this one is especially fun as they jump and claw their way up my legs to my shoulders...), attempting to switch to a dry AM feeding...

I'm ready to invest in an automatic feeder for the morning. I'd like to find one with the following features:

- multiple compartments that open at the same time (two cats), OR a large enough bowl (they don't mind sharing :))
- ice pack to keep wet food fresh

Beyond that, I'm open to anything!

I know I can't be alone in this frustration. Thank you in advance!

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know of an automatic feeder that exist for wet food?

This is the reason why I have a friend or family member come over and feed my cat if we're gone for the weekend or on vacation.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a double compartment feeder:

www.pet-mate.com - Cat Mate / Dog Mate / Fish Mate
Shop Feeders products by PetSafe

Each compartment is individually programmable so you can set both to open at the same time. The Catmate one has an ice pack feature. The Petsafe one does not but there is room at the base of the feeder to hold a mini ice pack.

There are feeders with up to 5 compartments but each compartment is only available one at a time and the slot in the lid is too small for two cats to eat at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a double compartment feeder:

www.pet-mate.com - Cat Mate / Dog Mate / Fish Mate
Shop Feeders products by PetSafe

Each compartment is individually programmable so you can set both to open at the same time. The Catmate one has an ice pack feature. The Petsafe one does not but there is room at the base of the feeder to hold a mini ice pack.

There are feeders with up to 5 compartments but each compartment is only available one at a time and the slot in the lid is too small for two cats to eat at the same time.
Thank you so much! This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. In shopping around, I've found mostly single (small) compartment, or ones that can't be programmed to open at the same time.

I also planned on keeping the cans refrigerated until bedtime (when I load the feeder), which I think will preserve the freshness a bit longer, too?

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some threads about automatic feeders. The wet food does provide a challenge in keeping it fresh.

Automatic Feeder
Who Uses Automatic Feeders?
What is the best....

I also found this one on Amazon that has large pockets:

Since you only need it for one feeding in the morning it makes it much easier.
It definitely does pose a challenge, and reviews are so mixed. It's true, we only need it for morning feedings (possibly not even *every* morning, as sometimes I'm up very early for work).

Thanks for the links to threads. I was having trouble finding one with a double-compartment that could be programmed at the same time :)

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know of an automatic feeder that exist for wet food?

This is the reason why I have a friend or family member come over and feed my cat if we're gone for the weekend or on vacation.
I do the same when I'm away, this is specifically for early mornings. We've lost so much sleep, and have tried almost everything to get the kittens into a better routine, but we're at our wits end and looking for a better, more reliable option.

garrettmarvel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've been working to solve this problem now having invented and built a wet food pet feeder called "Catzenpup".

you can see it at www.catzenpup.com

I was also on "Steve Harvey's Funderdome" TV show on ABC pitching Catzenpup. I have beta testers using it now, so it is almost ready, should be available in the next 2-3 months.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! I purchased a relatively inexpensive wet food feeder on Amazon, and it seems to help a little... they still crave attention SO early in the morning, but I'm hoping they'll grow out of that at least a bit :)

Kittens; the cutest little terrors around.