August 2020 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't read any of the recent posts, as not quite finished the book yet. When I stopped last night, Charlotte had just tried to kill Frank. I was tempted to skim ahead to make sure he isn't dead, but decided not to "cheat" and just read the story as it was intended to be read.

Be back tomorrow, hopefully, to add my comments to the discussion. :hellocomputer:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1. Elgar has created three distinct points of view. How do these various viewpoints help to reveal these characters and unravel the mystery? How does the author withhold information about Cassie from the reader in her sections?

I'm going to have a hard time answering these questions, I think, because though I enjoyed the book, I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about how it was written, or even trying to figure out "whodunnit". I did think it was interesting that though we got present POV from Frank, it was the past from Cassie, so it kept me wondering if she was aware of anything around her, like Frank was, or if she was totally unaware.

2.Which characters did you relate to the most? Why?

I don't think I related to any of the characters.

3.Which character did you trust the most at the beginning of the book? Which character did you trust the least?

I trusted Charlotte, actually. And, of course, Alice. Didn't so much mistrust her, but Lizzie sure must have been carrying a lot of guilt around, having been the one who a) tipped of the press about Cassie and b) blabbed to Charlotte.

4.Did you feel that Alice crossed the line of ethics in her quest to help solve the crime? Is it ever justifiable to do so if it means that a crime is resolved?

I think she probably did cross the line, and certainly put herself at risk, since she didn't know who was guilty.

5.To what extent do you think the media is drawn to Cassie’s plight because she’s young and beautiful? Is the author saying something about why the news focuses on certain victims and ignores others?

I'm sure the fact that Cassie was a minor celebrity made the media give her story more attention, because readers/viewers would already feel like they knew her, and therefore want to follow the tragedy by buying papers and watching the news.

6.How would you characterize Frank’s relationship with his daughter, Lucy? Are his parental shortcomings compensated for by his deep love for his child?

I think Frank had regrets, but alcoholism is a disease, and in most cases, love isn't enough to overcome it.

8.Were you surprised by the revelation of who was driving the car that hit Cassie? Why or why not?

I was. As I already mentioned, I didn't find myself overthinking everything, so I was taking the characters at face value. So I suspected Nicky for a bit, and Jonny too. Plus Jack. I think I was most shocked to learn Charlotte also killed her husband.

9.Though the novel has an optimistic ending, these characters have suffered many losses. Do happy endings ever help to mitigate grief? Why or why not

With Frank dying, Cassie dying, Alice not being able to have a baby, etc., I thought the ending was more sad than optimistic.

.We always ask these questions as well.

1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

3 stars ***

2. Who was your favourite character?

Frank. I also wanted to give poor Marcus a big hug.

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?

I read in less than a week, so that's good for me.

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?

No, except as was already mentioned, I wouldn't have thought about having to moisten the eyes of a comatose patient.

5. Did you find the characters believable?

I guess so.

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?

Not kill Frank. But it was probably a blessing in disguise, as though I wanted Frank to recover and live a normal life, it probably was never going to happen, and being stuck in a body with only your mind working must be absolutely horrible.

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

Don't think so

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do the readers think would have become of Frank had he lived. Do you think he would have gone back to his old ways, started drinking again and not be a nice person or would he have been a reformed charactor.
I think he had time and the mind to look at how his life had been and grasped life with both hands, become a good father and person.
Though the romantic in me wanted Frank and Cassie to both get better, become a couple, and raise Cassie's baby together, I think in reality, Frank would not have gotten better, and would have spent the rest of his life stuck in a broken body, and only being able to communicate by blinking.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 : Did you ever finish re-reading this? Any thoughts, particularly after reading it the 2nd time?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today's the last "official" discussion day. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Any plans to read the author's second book Grace Is Gone. My library doesn't have the e-book, but Hoopla does, so I may put it on my "to read" list. Grace is Gone at Hoopla

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I'll read it. Will check if my library has or will order it for me. Thanks for the heads up.

A week after finished If you knew her and I'm still thinking about poor Frank. I would have liked him to have lived so he could have righted all the wrongs he had done. Charlotte has a lot to answer for.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was sure someone would come in time to save Frank, and was SHOCKED that he actually died. Course it did make for a "sweet" ending when he was there to help Cassie when she died, but still I wish he'd lived and recovered and had a chance to have a relationship with his daughter. And Cassie too, for that matter. Kinda depressing book, actually, wasn't it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked it better the second time around. For her first book, Ms. Elgar did a fine job although
I counted 4 metaphors in one paragraph, but they were good ones!

I really didn't care for Cassie, I thought she was selfish and should not have been so cruel
to Marcus after April passed, he was hurting as well but she did come around just before
Charlotte's dastardly deed.

I loved Alice but I wondered why she went through 8 miscarriages. As a nurse she should've
known better. I liked the ending with her, David, and Bob moving to a place by the sea.

I loved Jonny, he seemed to really care for Cassie although he had a lot of baggage. Ex-wife who
didn't tell the truth so he was charged with attempted murder and his alcoholism.

Charlotte? What can I say? Mentally unbalanced, a psychopath?

Jack was spoiled but came round in the end. I think he truly Loved Cassie.

Fave characters, Marcus, Frank, and Alice.I so wish he had lived I was angry with Lizzie
for not keeping her mouth shut.

I wish Frank and Cassie both lived and Cassie would be with Jonny after he cleaned up his act.

I learned a lot about being in the type of condition Frank was in.

4 stars and I want to read her next book.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's the last day of August, so just about time to start a new month and new book. Here's the thread for the September book, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. September 2020 book of the month club (Poll)

And a couple last thoughts after rereading Mia6 Mia6 's post.

I really didn't care for Cassie, I thought she was selfish and should not have been so cruel
to Marcus after April passed, he was hurting as well but she did come around just before
Charlotte's dastardly deed.
I forgot about Marcus. Poor guy. Clearly he had health issues or dementia, and with Cassie gone there was no one to watch out for him.

I wish Frank and Cassie both lived and Cassie would be with Jonny after he cleaned up his act.
I'm repeating myself, but I still can't believe the author killed off Frank. I wasn't expecting that at all, so it was a huge shock.