Attention Seeking Kitten?

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the last 3-4 weeks my 6 month old kitten, Pebble, has gone from being a fairly quiet and chilled out little guy to a vocal, wall scratching mischief maker!

He's recently started becoming quite vocal, particularly around meal times and for a couple of hours when we get home in the evening, and again around bed time (so basically most of the time we are home during the week!). He's started wandering around the house meowing, jumping all over the bed, trying to open the wardrobe doors and scratching the walls about half an hour before I get up, and sometimes he'll do the same if I get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. He also starts scratching the walls around the front door in the evenings. I think this is because I have been walking him on a harness most nights, and he's really keen to get outside! Sometimes he'll be in the room with us and go into another room and just start meowing really loudly. Every time I look at him he will meow too.

This wouldn't be a huge problem except we rent our house and I'm terrified that he's going to scratch the paint off the walls and we'll have to pay for it!

He's neutered and stays inside apart from when I take him out on the harness in the evenings, and when I let him out into the courtyard in the morning to run around for 15-20 minutes (we have high fencing and dogs on all sides which deter him from leaving the courtyard, so far at least!). We are out of the house for 8-10 hours on weekdays, but otherwise home most of the weekend. He has a cat tree, several smaller scratching posts, lots of toys, plus I leave treats hidden around the house and a radio going when we are out. We play with him a couple of times an evening, I take him outside for at least 10 minutes as well. During the weekends he's not so bad but is still very keen to be outside. He doesn't really do much outside except watch birds, chew some grass, and sniff everything.

Is the scratching and meowing just attention seeking? I'm not really sure what I can do to stop it. I've tried ignoring it and giving him lots of attention and praise when he's quiet, but sometimes he'll scratch the walll, I'll move suddenly to try startle him so he'll stop (without looking directly at him or saying anything) but he'll stop for a second, look at me and then start scratching and meowing again. Is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing everything right. :think:

When you play with him, do you play long enough to completely wear him out? I play with my 7 month old kitten at least 3 times a day until she is breathing hard and almost panting from chasing her favorite feather on a string.

Did you just recently have him neutered or has it been a while? If he was just recently neutered, then it will take some time for all his hormones to calm down so that he chills out a bit.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Like I said, seems like you are already doing all the right things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we do play he rarely gets the the point of panting, even I'm running around for 20 minutes (at which point I'm the one panting!). Am I maybe playing with him "wrong" somehow?

I'll mix things up each day between rolling a ball around, letting him chase things attached to string, playing with a box, "wrestling" with a stuffed toy, making him leap between couches - stuff like that. I try to let him catch the things he chases and have a wind down with each play.

He was neutered quite early, I think at 12 weeks old (just before we got him).

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it's relevant but he's also not a very "cat like" cat. He LOVES playing with water and every time it rains he begs to go outside. I haven't put him in water yet but would like to try sometime to see what he does. He will put his entire leg into our pond when he's drinking out of it! He also doesn't seem to want to cuddle up in bed at night, hates being under the covers and seems to like his space at times. In fact he rarely sleeps on our bed and would rather sleep in his carrier for some reason!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. He's quite the independent one, isn't he?

My kitten wears out in 5 minutes or less with the feather on a string...like you said...jumping up and across furniture and such. No other toy gets her breathing that hard. She does play longer with other less aerobic toys without getting winded. So, it sounds like you're playing long and hard enough with Pebble.

It's possible that Pebble is maturing early and has just entered the Teenage Mutant Ninja Cat months. Every cat goes through a few months of "teenage adolescence" when they become annoying hyperactive brats. My memory is that they usually start acting up around 8 months old, give or take a month. They outgrow the phase and become very cool adult cats about 2 days before you're ready to give them away "free to a good home". (Kidding about that last part...kind of.)

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, great so I guess I'm in for a trying next few months then! Just wonderful when I already have wedding planning in the mix :biggrin: He's lucky he's cute!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my Farrell is starting to show a glimmer of things to come. Mean. Evil. Teenage. Things. :p

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here he his being walked on a harness and about to stick his feet in the pond! Did I adopt a cat or a dog?!

IMG_20170407_184244132.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello wahine01 wahine01 , one thing for sure is that you've got a cat there :lol:

Your kitty sounds pretty like my neutered boy who is 14 months old now. He's talkative, playful, always going into the bathrooms, meows asking you to open the wardrobe so he can go in and play, zip around the house full speed till he pants, I nicknamed him speedy gonzales and also a parkour king as he bounces off the furnitures, put his paw in his drinking bowl, meowing loudly to get my attention and he'll lead me to where he wants to be or to do. Meows if his favorite ball is stuck under the cabinet or wants me to play ball with him.

Only thing he does what your kitty does not do is sleep with me on my bed.

So don't worry, you've got yourself a cat :chessirecat: :banana1: :lol:

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a little terror!

Is there anything that I could do to stop him scratching the walls? I've thought about trying a no-scratch spray, or spraying lavender infused water on the walls, but I've heard these sprays don't often work...

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If he's always scratching the same spot, stick a scratch board there. If not stick a large piece of double-side film over the wall and see if he stop scratching.

Does he have a scratch post? Make sure it's high enough for him to stretch up all the way.

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, he scratches different spots all around the house really. I'm not sure I can cover all the walls in sticky film? We have a small house but that's a lot of wall!

He's got 3 scratching posts in different areas of the house.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He could have like the texture of the wall.

I bought my boy scratch boards and two Seagrass scratch post but he does not touch them at all. He uses the scratch post of his cat tree and his favorite is my sofa set! :lol:

FullSizeRender.jpg

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear!

I guess I'll just have to keep ignoring it and hope that there's no noticeable damage when we move out. I really don't want to be paying to have to paint the house as if/when we move it will be when we buy our own place.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried different textured cat scratchers? A cat tree? My cats became a carpeted stair case scratching menace when I moved to this place. Training including clapping and chasing them a bit sorta worked. Putting a cardboard scratcher at the halfway point & top of the stairs (with generous praise if I catch them using it) put a stop to it completely. Those cardboard things are cheap between 7$-30$ and last ?6? months or so. Salem loves his $ cardboard cat couch :)

Lastly if not sticky tape can you put up a removable side barrier? Like wrapping paper or a bamboo roll thing or foil? (Your cat may LOVE the bamboo ... probably won't love the foil.) That plus a few new scratchers by the wall should work I hope :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear!

I guess I'll just have to keep ignoring it and hope that there's no noticeable damage when we move out. I really don't want to be paying to have to paint the house as if/when we move it will be when we buy our own place.
There was some interior design show I watched circa 2000-2001, forgot the guy's name. Anyway he always encouraged people who rent to pick colors for their walls regardless whether the landlord approved or not. He said "worst case", you can 1) buy a couple gallons of paint and repaint "landlord white" before moving, or 2) just figure that the average monthly cost of the damage deposit is additional rent if you don't get a refund. He said it was a cheap price to have the colors you enjoy in your home during the time you live there.

So...perhaps you could apply the same principle to the average cost of enjoying the cat for the time you live there. :biggrin:

(My expensive wool area rug is starting to look a little threadbare like Tabby Tom's sofa.)