Attacking my legs at night

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!!
I have a 1 year old kitty, who I have had since she was 8 weeks old. She is a very vocal, loving (some of the time) cat. She does have her moments when she doesnt want to be pet and will pin her ears back and warn you not to touch her but other than that she is nice most of the time. However! At night she turns into a COMPLETE different cat. It is the most bizarre thing!! Every - Single - Night when it is time to go to bed and I get out of bed to use the bathroom, she will stalk my feet and pin her ears back and LUNGE for my leg. This happens EVERY time I get up to go to the bathroom, if she knows I am about to walk past her she goes straight for my feet as I walk by. After I shoo her off, she keeps going - with her mean look in her eyes like she is trying to kill me. What I find funny is if my boyfriend gets up in the middle of the night ... nothing happens. But god forbid if I just so happen to be in her vision at night she will do anything to get to my feet/legs. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It kind of cracks me up, but at the same time I'm very confused?? Any advice is appreciated!! :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How odd!

I'd start with thinking about what is different between you and your boyfriend that makes her attack only one of you.

Do you wear slippers when you get up at night, or does he? Perhaps they remind her of prey, being furry and making that noise they tend to make? Or, do one of you start talking to her to let her know you're coming and the other doesn't? Is there some kind of lotion you put on at night that the scent might be setting her off?

Etc.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well. Um. That's unusual, but only because she only attacks YOUR legs. Ignores the boyfriend's legs under the same circumstances. I'm going to have to ponder this one. I, also, would want the answers to sivyaleah sivyaleah 's questions. SOMETHING is triggering this.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that she wants to play with you. She was separated from her family too early and haven’t had a chance to play the way cats play, and she’s mimicking this behavior with you as her only playmate. One of my cats would playfully pounce on me, but never on my husband. He’s my cat and very bonded with me, I’m guessing he sees me as his playmate but not my husband with whom he’s more distant. Also, my husband is bigger than me and maybe my boy doesn’t want to risk upsetting bigger creature?
Some cats are more active/playful at night, so maybe this is why she only has an urge to do this at night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How odd!

I'd start with thinking about what is different between you and your boyfriend that makes her attack only one of you.

Do you wear slippers when you get up at night, or does he? Perhaps they remind her of prey, being furry and making that noise they tend to make? Or, do one of you start talking to her to let her know you're coming and the other doesn't? Is there some kind of lotion you put on at night that the scent might be setting her off?

Etc.
This one got me thinking... and the funny thing is - no!! There is literally NO difference between us (well besides the obvious, me a female and him a male) but I don't wear slippers at night - actually I have wore slippers before, I've worn socks before, I've worn no socks before and none of this changes anything! Both of us talk to her before we come into the room she is in (me especially because sometimes it's scary to be expecting her to pounce at my feet in the dark!!!) And lastly, no lotion and/or scents at night. I am STUMPED!!

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well. Um. That's unusual, but only because she only attacks YOUR legs. Ignores the boyfriend's legs under the same circumstances. I'm going to have to ponder this one. I, also, would want the answers to sivyaleah sivyaleah 's questions. SOMETHING is triggering this.
This is exactly how I feel!!! So confused, see post above with my answers! (PS: Thank you guys all for responding so fast!!! I'm amused with all the thoughts!!)

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Austin doesn't attack my feet when I get up, but he goes after them once they're under the covers. But just mine, he doesn't attack my husband's at all.
Kona will do this to me too!!! It's so annoying to wake up to! Then I look over and my boyfriend is just sound asleep unbothered:rolleyes:

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guess is that she wants to play with you. She was separated from her family too early and haven’t had a chance to play the way cats play, and she’s mimicking this behavior with you as her only playmate. One of my cats would playfully pounce on me, but never on my husband. He’s my cat and very bonded with me, I’m guessing he sees me as his playmate but not my husband with whom he’s more distant. Also, my husband is bigger than me and maybe my boy doesn’t want to risk upsetting bigger creature?
Some cats are more active/playful at night, so maybe this is why she only has an urge to do this at night?
I would agree with you, however - she does not appear to be playing with me.. she pins her ears back and looks aggressive and pounces like she is trying to HURT me. Although it doesn't hurt, it comes off very scary!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree with you, however - she does not appear to be playing with me.. she pins her ears back and looks aggressive and pounces like she is trying to HURT me. Although it doesn't hurt, it comes off very scary!!
If you watch cats play, it can look really violent and agressive, as play in cats is highly functional - they learn to hunt and kill through playing. With you, I think she does something that some people call „play aggression”. Because she didn’t have a proper company to play with in her crucial development period, she didn’t learn the social rules, what is acceptable during play, what not to do and when to stop. Here’s literally the first link from google about it, hopefully someone will link better articles.
Worry Not, Stop Aggressive Playful Cat Behavior
I’d try to play with her a lot before nighttime to see if this will change anything after several weeks.
If she doesn’t react to hiss, maybe she’ll react to your squeaks,or louder Aww sound. Basically you need to let her know that she’s hurting you (even if in reality she doesn’t) to try to break the habit. Even if it’s not a big problem now, it may be eg. if you’ll have kids and she does it to them.
Or - if you want and can - you could get her a young cat with whom she can learn how to play nicely, she’s young enough to change. That’s probably the easiest way to teach her not to behave the way she does.

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you watch cats play, it can look really violent and agressive, as play in cats is highly functional - they learn to hunt and kill through playing. With you, I think she does something that some people call „play aggression”. Because she didn’t have a proper company to play with in her crucial development period, she didn’t learn the social rules, what is acceptable during play, what not to do and when to stop. Here’s literally the first link from google about it, hopefully someone will link better articles.
Worry Not, Stop Aggressive Playful Cat Behavior
I’d try to play with her a lot before nighttime to see if this will change anything after several weeks.
If she doesn’t react to hiss, maybe she’ll react to your squeaks,or louder Aww sound. Basically you need to let her know that she’s hurting you (even if in reality she doesn’t) to try to break the habit. Even if it’s not a big problem now, it may be eg. if you’ll have kids and she does it to them.
Or - if you want and can - you could get her a young cat with whom she can learn how to play nicely, she’s young enough to change. That’s probably the easiest way to teach her not to behave the way she does.
Thank you for this response! This actually does make a lot of sense, and I appreciate the link you attached! I do worry if we have kids eventually that she might become aggresive. I have thought about getting another cat to keep her company but I also fear that she might be aggresive towards another cat since we dont have any other pets that she has met. These are all great ideas that I am excited to try over the next couple of weeks to see if I get any change! Thank you!!!

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What would you guys think if we got an older cat (not older older but like around 1 1/2 or 2 years old) or do you think it would have to be younger in order to teach Miss Kona how to play properly?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you guys think if we got an older cat (not older older but like around 1 1/2 or 2 years old) or do you think it would have to be younger in order to teach Miss Kona how to play properly?
I think I'd get a cat around the same age as Kona.. or even few months younger but male, as they tend to be bigger than females and I personally think with bigger cats the likelihood of her being too aggressive with the new cat is slightly lower. I'd get a cat that was around other cats already, preferably from the foster multicat environment, lots of shelters work with fosters. The younger the cat, the easier the introduction will be, but it also depends on personalities, some older but playful and active 2yo can work as well.

Just to manage your expectations: second young can and most likely will help in my experience, but it's not like it's a magic solution that works every time. We're talking about living beings and it's entirely possible this will not solve all the problems, or even if it help with one particular, it doesn't mean it will not create another (eg. if they end up playing at night, depriving you from sleep). But with the young cat like yours I'll be positive that she will have a playmate in other young cat. Maybe they won't be best friends, but playmates are good enough.

konathecrazykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your input, I really appreciate it! We have considered getting another cat for a looonnngg time but have been iffy on it. Your thoughts help me with my pros/cons!! Thanks again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise