Attacking it's own tail

cathybrady1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male one year old cat has starting attacking it's own tail, to where it bleeds. He was on nuerotin, but that didn't seem to work. Now he is on alprazolam and amitryptyline. He has to wear a protective collar, which doesn't always keep him from biting his tail. The end of the tail is scabby with no fur. He also has a problem with his eyes. The eyelids turn inward and the lashes scratch his eyes. He was on antibiotic drops for that and now takes tear lubricate drops. Several people have told me to just put him down, but I'm not ready to do that. I've seen other posts and articles about this and there seems to be no solution. Is there any behavioral changes I have to make for my cat? I am home most of the time, yet he is still stressed, unless he is in my lap. I can't hold him all the time.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! That is so awful, I have had cats that have chased their tails but never to the point of bleeding 

I applaud you choice not to put him down, I have a vet friend (well he is retired now) and he gives his dog Xanax for anxiety. I wonder if your vet would consider prescribing something like that for your boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathybrady1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the medicines he takes is like Xanax. It helps a little.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe supplement the Xanax with some Zylkene? I had good results with my anxious cat, he was on Prozac which wasn't quite cutting it so I added the Zylkene at the recommendation of my vet. It's a milk protein that is metabolized in the body and has a calming effect. You've probably already checked, but just in case, my vet told me once that a cat will attack it's tail if the anal glands are painful. Your cat doesn't need his anal glands expressed and they aren't infected?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try a plug-in Felliway diffuser in the room he spends most of his time in. It emits calming pheromones and may help to lessen the tail attacking behavior.

Last edited:

cathybrady1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had also heard about the anal glands, so I had that checked out. I will inquire about the product you recommended. I will try anything, but I am on a budget. I think amputating the tail would greatly reduce his stress, but that would cost over $400.00.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not amputate your cat's tail! Cats need their tails for many reasons!

It's important to get to the root of what is causing his distress. Felliway diffusers are not cheap but they are very effective. Refills can be purchased. They last about a month. I'm hoping it will make a big difference.

Let us know once you get the diffuser if it's working.

cathybrady1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I researched the feliway diffusor and I think it might help. I ordered one and will give it a shot. Thank you for your post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're welcome! I sure hope it helps. Let us know after you've tried it. :)

cathybrady1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had the diffusor a week now, there's only been a slight difference. He can go short periods without the collar, but then he notices his tail and gets panicky. He hasn't attacked his tail again, but I think that's only because I keep such an eye on him and put the collar on when he is aggravated. I don't think I will buy the refills for the diffusor. It was worth a try.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry it's not working for your cat. I am truly puzzled as to why he is spooked by his own tail.