Attacked By Momma Cat & Now I'm Scared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten has started to play & he's so cute! He climbed for the 1st time today. He also peed in my bed this morning. Not happy. When I put him in the cat litter box he wants to eat the non clumping clay litter.

I can't take Mom as I live in central Fl & we are faced with a Bad A__ hurricane. Cat. 5 Getting her fixed will be in a few weeks.

My main concerns are he's not eating food nor using the cat box. Help!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will try to eat the litter at first. It's normal. Just make sure the litter is kept clean.
They shouldn't start weaning until 5 weeks anyway. I only weaned a kitten at 4 weeks once and it was because his mother's milk was killing him.
As long as he can stay with his mom he won't starve. He will start eating on his own.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean you can't take mom?

Many kittens do not wean to soft foods until 6-7 weeks. He's young yet at 5 weeks. He will learn to eat soon. He's fine now nursing mom.

He is also young for using a litter box. That will come in the next 2-3 weeks too.

Be patient!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At what age does the Mom stop breast feeding? Kitten is now 7 weeks old. I keep the kitten away from Mom most of the day but Mom is still very full of milk.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At what age does the Mom stop breast feeding? Kitten is now 7 weeks old. I keep the kitten away from Mom most of the day but Mom is still very full of milk.
You don't need to separate the kitten from mom; I actually think it's counter productive and upsetting to do so. Mom will wean the kitten when she's ready, but you can start to offer kitten food mixed with water or kmr to the kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed! Please leave them together. Some kittens nurse for months, but as stated, they also need to learn to eat dry kitten chow and wet cat food.