Attacked By Momma Cat & Now I'm Scared

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One way you can pet her and get her used to your smell again is get something like a wooden spoon and wrap a t-shirt you've been wearing around it. Use that to pet her. Cats like to be petted on their backs near the base of their tail. If you start petting her there with the stick and she seems to like it you can gradually move your hand further down the stick until you are petting her.

No rush. Just go at the speed you feel comfortable with.

:)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its actually good you dont dare to pet her yet, although she begins to be friendly. Its wise not to rush things. Semiferales arent used to petting. Let your friendship deepen. Norachan Norachan tips in next post are good. Begin with a wooden spoon or similiar. Feels warm and soft.
The bites are healing up nicely & my stomach is handling the antiboitics. So all is good with me.

At least once a day Momma comes up to me talks
& rub up against my leg. I haven't had the guts to pet her yet.
I know I need to try & pet her. I also know I need
To handle the baby. I plan to do that this weekend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One way you can pet her and get her used to your smell again is get something like a wooden spoon and wrap a t-shirt you've been wearing around it. Use that to pet her. Cats like to be petted on their backs near the base of their tail. If you start petting her there with the stick and she seems to like it you can gradually move your hand further down the stick until you are petting her.

No rush. Just go at the speed you feel comfortable with.

:)
Sat I used a wooden spoon to pet her. I didn't have a problem so today I used my hand. She was purring away. I was able to pull back the cover to see the baby. He's so cute!

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom will let me touch baby only when she is eating food. It's progress. At what age can I take them in to be tested for hiv?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait until the baby is 8 weeks old. If mom is clear, and she probably is, then the kitten will be too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree. If they seem healthy, the hiv test isnt no hurry with. Possibly good to do it before you adopt them out, but no hurry in itself. Its if they DO have health issues, it may be good to do all the tests, to know what treatment is best.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree, there is no rush to do blood tests unless you think there is something wrong with the mother cat. The kitten doesn't need to be tested for FIV or FeLV unless the mother tests positive.

You could ask your vet to do the blood tests at the same time as getting the mother spayed. No hurry, she is indoors so you don't have to worry about her getting pregnant again. Wait until the kitten is on solid food and can go without mum for a day.

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would wait until the baby is 8 weeks old. If mom is clear, and she probably is, then the kitten will be too.
How would I know if Mom is clear? She is a stray. I have 2 inside cats that I don't wat together sick.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You get the mom tested. If she's clear there's no need to test the kitten.

I thought mom was being kept separate from your cats right now. I did not know it was an issue.

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You get the mom tested. If she's clear there's no need to test the kitten.

I thought mom was being kept separate from your cats right now. I did not know it was an issue.
Yes Mom & kitten are separate from my cats but I'm worried about petting them & then touching my cats. I know I should wash my hands but due to medical issue I can't use soap very often.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Mom & kitten are separate from my cats but I'm worried about petting them & then touching my cats. I know I should wash my hands but due to medical issue I can't use soap very often.
Wash your hands in between then if you are worried. You aren't going to transfer FIV or FeLV that way...

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV and FeLv are transmitted by blood or saliva and don't have a very long life outside of the body so no need to worry unless they have direct contact!

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Next question....sorry. The baby is now 4 weeks old. He has started to walk but still very wobbly! Is that normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the toddling stage at 4 weeks. He should get stronger.

Can you post a video?

Nola Ignatius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Sorry I couldn't figure how to post video. Kitten is walking much better. Had Mom tested & she was negative. Yay!

I am having trouble getting kitten to eat. I have tried wet & dry. Has no interest in smelling the food. I'm now pulling him from mom for 2 hours at a time.

Anyone have ideas?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
5 weeks, make sure that food and water are in places that baby can reach. They usually don't even pay attention to solids until around 5 weeks. Baby should have a full set of teeth showing. Some people offer softened dry food or wet food but all of mine have eaten dry with no trouble. Do what feels comfortable for you.
You can take mom to get spayed now. Her milk will continue to come in and she will still take care of the kitten.
Don't worry too much about making the baby eat solids, as long as mom has milk the baby won't starve. Mom can easily spend several hours away from the kitten without any stress on either.
Baby will start becoming very curious about you if it hasn't already. It will also start climbing and jumping more.
Wear long heavy pants. Kitten may develop a desire to climb up your legs and in coming weeks as it begins to get more active it will be rowdier.
Small stuffed toys will give the kitten something to pounce and play with.