Atopica - How Long Does It Take For It To Start Working?

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I posted a few days ago about my cat, who has been put on atopica after a 2 week dose of prednisol for what the vet has figured is rodent ulcer + allergies. She is thinking these allergies are environmental as she is not having any GI problems, but I have switched her to a hypo diet/limited ingredient diet just to see if that does anything.

Anyways--my question is, how long does it actually take to see some relief with the Atopica? I know that their site/other people have said it takes 4-8 weeks, however, did your cats experience relief sooner? After a week, or maybe two?

I am feeling pretty discouraged about the drug as her mouth has only seemed to get worse since getting off of the prednisol, which offered immediate relief to her. As soon as she was weaned off after the two weeks, her itching/scabby mouth returned. She is otherwise doing okay, but I really hate to see her scratching so much at her chin that it starts bleeding.

Any help is appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
By chance, are you using plastic dishes/bowls for her food and water? If so try stainless steel or ceramic, and see if that helps her chin.

Also, I don't know about the Atopica, but is your baby getting filtered water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
By chance, are you using plastic dishes/bowls for her food and water? If so try stainless steel or ceramic, and see if that helps her chin.

Also, I don't know about the Atopica, but is your baby getting filtered water?
Hi,
Her dishes are all glass. I have even switched these dishes for other glass ones to see if this makes a difference. I had not been giving her filtered water as we live in a relatively small city that has very clean drinking water (we also drink tap water)...however, after your suggestion, I have bought some bottled/distilled water. Thanks for your suggestion!

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately not :(...I am waiting to hear back from the vet about next steps, but it seems like they want me to try to keep her on the medication for at least four weeks. Hopefully it kicks in. It is so hard to see her hurt herself.

Thanks again for your support.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only other thing I could think of might be to try commercial raw such as Rad Cat or Primal assuming that's ok with your vet...

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only other thing I could think of might be to try commercial raw such as Rad Cat or Primal assuming that's ok with your vet...
I will have a look into both of these! Thanks.
When we started the Atopica a week ago, we also put her on a hypo diet. The vet gave us a limited duck dry food and wet food. She has been refusing to eat this, and is now throwing up the dry food/is not chewing it when she does take a few bites. It almost seems like she might be allergic to the duck? I have no idea. I've bought her a few other limited ingredient foods (including venison, lamb, turkey), but she is really only eating her food if I am mixing it with a lot of nutritional yeast. She is eating a limited ingredient tuna/whitefish canned food now, which she seems to like much more and isn't having the same stomach upset as she was with the others. I am going to give this a shot for another week, but I will certainly do some research into the raw food that you suggested.