Atipical Hepatic Lipidosis

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

This post does not contain any questions because at this point I am frankly out of questions. I spent the last three weeks digging the internet for answers and possible questions. I'm posting this mostly as a method to vent. I also hope that someone who reads this might actually figure out a smart question to ask, or might have a helpful hunch.

Silvester is a 9 years old male who we got from a vet clinic when he was a few months old. Since then he never went out of the appartment, except for minutes when he would accompany me on the stairs. We had another cat, 2 years older, who passed on December 5th, after what we assume it was undiagnosed diabetis. That is a story in itself, but the only part relevant here is maybe that they had both received Drontal at the time, as she was suspected of tapeworm - even though she never ever left the appartment. They were not very close, but I guess he might have been stressed out even before we noticed she was sick. He certainly was not good in her final days, when we stayed locked with her because he started being aggressive towards her, but he seemed to have passed well over the event.

He was a bit fat and had a history of regurgitation and hairballs, but it was not really possible to monitor his eating while we had both. So we started to monitor just after that, and also raised his boll to prevent regurgitation. He was eating a bit less than what the normal was for his weight, but over the 2 months since he only lost 0.5kg out of the 6kg he had. So nothing to worry about, maybe.

He seems to be somehow related with norwegian forest cats, if you search for a black and white norwegian forest cat, they look identical. He had a history of hairballs, but we never really treated it - except for growing some cat grass which he would really enjoy - we just assumed it was normal given the longer hair.

Fast forward to Friday, the 9th of February. When we came back from work, around 19:00, we noticed he had some clear vomits(no hair or food in them) . We went out that night, blaming a possible hairball that he was trying to get out. The next day he vomited again a few times, just white foam, and he wouldn't eat. We took him to the closest vet, who said it was pharingitis and shot him some antibiotics, antivomitive and vitamins.

Some hours later he wouldn't pee or eat and look generally bad, so we took him to an emergency clinic. They made a emergency ultrasound (everything looked fine). Their primary concern were the kidneys, so the only blood tested BUN - 19.9 and CREA - 1.2. All fine. They hidrated him subcutaneous and made some blood tests. They sent us home with instructions to continue the treatment of the original vet.

2 days later we concluded that the treatment does not help. Still vomiting, although more rarely if I remember correctly. Still not eating. Drinking water and peeing were fine, but no defecation. We took him to the emergency clinic again and from here on we only went there.

They admitted him that day, Monday the 12th of February. They made another ultrasound, an xray and blood work and checked his mouth. Turns out there was a bad tooth, but not infected. The ultrasound revealed nothing, as the bloodwork (ALT, CREA, ALB, GGT and TP all within normal limits; low BUN - to be expected without food). The xray revealed gas in his intestine, according to the vet. He showed us the small intestine/L5 ratio and pointed out that it is not yet 1.6 but it is still high and he suspects intestinal blockage. They would keep him overnight on IV and if things don't change in 12 hours they would recommend exploratory surgery - which we agreed and they did the next day. (still not sure that 1.6 has any relevance, I only found it associated with intestinal blockage with dogs, not cats).

They found no blockage. Removed the tooth( "I tried to clean it but it just fell") Cleaned some dried up poop from the intestine, noticed an irritation of the small intestine, a slightly fatty looking liver ( "but nothing to worry about, given he is overweight") and slightly inflamed mesenteric glands ("nothing to worry about yet, probably there is an infection in the small intestine which caused this"). Said that by itself nothing explains not eating, but maybe there was a combination of tooth and infection. "let's give it 2 more days and then we'll put a feeding tube".

We suggested them to perform an endoscopy when putting the tube. We were afraid of esophagitis which is a contraindication to e-tubes and also wanted to check the upper part of the GI. 2 days later, on the 15th, he was still not eating, but otherwise recovered after the surgery. Nice energy levels, drinking water, they said he's probably not eating because of the clinic environment. They gave him some mirtazapine on the 14th, and sent him home on the 15th with ronaxan, metronidazole and ezomeprazol. They said they would give him few days at home.

2 days later - energy levels still good, but not eating. Interested in food, licking his mouth and paws when we would put it there, but not touching it on his own. Beeing Saturday, they said they would give him the second dose of mirtazapine(apparently that's when it become most effective) and perform the endoscopy and place the feeding tube on Monday if there is no change. The only change was that he got 3 pieces of dry food by himself on Sunday.

Monday, the 19th of February, they performed the endoscopy and put in the feeding e-tube. They found a 7-8 cm hairball in his stomach which was blocking the entrance to the small intestine(the pilorus) and removed it. They said the stomach was irritated where the besoire was sitting. They did not take any samples for biopsy as they found nothing of interest. The sphincter was "pink", which they said it was to be expected given the circumstances. They sent him home the next day, with sufalcrate, ronaxan and famotidine. They only told us they tested his ALT levels, for a potential hepatic lipidosis, but they were normal. Told us we can give all the medication together, when we feed him, so it is easier for us.

This time the recovery of the energy levels was longer. In the first few days he would hide a lot and only move to pee and defecate. But he became constipated. Finally we realized that giving sucralfate with famotidine and food makes no sense, so we started sucralfate 1hr before meal - which promptly triggered vomiting after the first 2 sucralfate doses. Without sucralfate in his system his energy levels started growing and the constipation became milder, so we removed him of sucralfate. 9 days after the endoscopy he was off all medication, we got him from 6 to 3 meals per day, he was peeing a lot and pooping regularly. The pooping still seems to indicate constipation (small 2-3cm pieces and sometimes quite thick). During all this time he had some trouble breathing, with some wierd irregular snorting when he stays in relaxed positions, both asleep and awake. Quite scary when he slept, as sometimes it seemed he'd briefly stop breathing during the worst of it. It got better and better as time passed, but they had no idea what was causing it upon physical examination. Also he is lip smacking a lot and swallowing what appears to be saliva.

Finally on the 28th of February, he was prescribed medrol, with the indication that if he starts eating we should announce them immediately so they tell us how to decrease the dose to stop it. They also told us that given he did not eat yet, they now think he had hepatic lipidosis all along and the hairball might have formed because there was no transit. We did not give him medrol immediately because we were concerned. Not necessarily of the side effects, but on the good ones too. If he has lymphoma, which in my opinion is not off the table, we don't want to prolong the unavoidable, and medrol would actually help against lymphoma. The vet said he does not think he can have lymphoma.... but steroids are such a 'fix it all' drog that we're afraid we might not know what's was wrong. Anyway, Silvester solved one problem by taking his first 3 pieces of dry food the very next day.

Today we "celebrate" 2 weeks with the feeding tube on. For 5 days now, he had 3-8 pieces of food per day. His energy levels are very high, I'd say as high if not higher than before this started. However, he did vomit twice in the last 5 days, each time before meal. He is very interested in food, smelling all the plates, waiting at the kitchen door, coming to us and sniffing when we eat. But he won't take anything except those few pieces, and those usually if it happens that we do petting near the boll of food. We tried any possible kind of food. He also does not drink, but I suspect it is fine giving he's on liquid diet. Lip smacking is still there, albeit more rare. The snorting is still there, but milder. He seems to really enjoy tube feeding. When he is hungry, sometimes he just goes to the designated feeding place and waits.

Our problem is that hepatic lipidosis doesn't really make sense. His ALT levels were always normal, he did not develop any jaundice, he did not throw up at all in the first few days of tube feeding. Basically the only things that fit are that he had a period of anorexia and that now he's not eating. But we also can't think of anything else that might make sense.

Now he is as active as he ever was. Except for the unexplained snorting and for the lip smacking, he seems a perfectly normal cat who just won't eat. We're not sure how long we can go on like this or what we should do next. At this point, it seems we're just waiting for something to happen, and we feel it might be a while before it does. It all feels very frustrating.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. I'm so sorry you are going through all this with your Silvester. It must be so overwhelming and stressful.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on questions you could ask your vet. Hopefully other members will pop in with ideas. Sending you healing vibes and hugs. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :catrub:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm stumped with this, as well. SO many things going on at once! Um...weird thought, but has he been checked for nasal polyps or things like that? It would be unrelated to MOST of his other issues, but if he can't SMELL the food, he won't EAT the food. The fact that he actively wants his tube feeding tells me that he does have an appetite, but for some reason nothing is triggering him to eat. Loss of sense of smell would account for that. Long shot, but that's all I've got!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for his problems! I hope he is better and eating again soon. Can i ask what foods he is, or has been eating? Some wet foods smell a lot more than others. I know when i open a can of nutro minced chicken or the turkey it really smells up the place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond

He was eating Royal Canin Sterilized 37 since he was neutered; when he was about 8 months old, I think. He has it always available now and it is the only food that he tasted since this started. He also has Hills I/D dry always available, as he also seemed to enjoy that 3 months ago, when we had the other cat on it for a while.

We tried all sorts of wet food as well, and human food even. Heated and all other tricks. About 15 types probably. At most we got from him was a single lick.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

We thought about polips as well, especially because of the snorting, but the vet said the sound should be much more continuous. They examined him visually for polips, and they saw nothing wrong.

Lack of smell would explain not eating, but he seems to sniff a lot. His nasals are visibly moving when he's sniffing food. We even saw him "catching a smell" and following it up like dogs do until he reaches some spot which he would then sniff for about a minute.

Update:

He has shown apathy in the last two days. He's only active about 1hr before meals, when he probably gets hungry. That's also the only time he actually gets those few pieces. Still no more than than 4 pieces, sometimes not even one. He also vomited twice, both times shortly after he got 1-2 pieces of food and also shortly before the tube feed. We think that may be acid, given the timing.

I don't think I mentioned this in the first post, but he's also 'dry swallowing' quite a lot. We're not sure whether he's bothered by the bandage around the tube(his Adam's apple has always been quite prominent) or if it's the tube itself, or because of salivation or if there is some other reason. He seems annoyed after he does it, agitated, moving his tail and stopping purring if he was doing it at the time. It might just be us projecting stuff on him, but I don't think so.

Also, last night my gf thinks that she felt a slight inflammation on the left side of the maxilary. If she describes the location right, that would be the salivary gland, or the lymph nodes. Or it could just be a reaction to the tube (it is on the same side, quite close).

We'll know more tonight when we take him to the vet for bandage change, a physical exam and possibly some blood work. I'm pretty sure they will put him on mirtazapine again, but I don't know what effect that could have considering that it is not the appetite that he seems to lack.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS. He did not seemed bothered by the inflammation. My gf discovered it while he was scratching him under the mouth and he seemed to enjoy while he was under palpation.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to read all you have gone through with your Silvester.
The only thing I feel I can help you with is the snorting.
As far as my experience with an E-tube is, is that sometimes the tube can reduce the air flow in the trachea because the tube pushes against its walls. It happened to my cat and the vets told me about it before inserting it to my cat.

Sorry for not being able to help you further at the moment...

EDIT: Also, I think you have been told that an E-tube can't be left in place for a long period of time, probably this is why the area is getting inflamed now.

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the snorting thing, they never mentioned that as a possibility. Also, they didn't mention for how long one tube can stay in. I always assumed it can stay for at least 6-8 weeks, as I saw that as a typical interval for h/l recovery. What happens when it gets inflamed if h/l is not healed, they get the tube out for few days or...?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't say about that. I'm not too sure that once it is removed it could be insterted again, and after a relatively short time...
Anyway, 6 weeks is what I knew.
The PEG tube can be left in place for up to 6 months.

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the 17th day with the tube. We still have time, hopefully.

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 I briefly went through your Lola thread, I am so sorry for everything you had to go through. Wish you and Pallina a lot of good health!

About us, we don't check the area every day because he gets very stressed out when we try to get there - and also because it is quite difficult for us to do it. We go to the vet once every 3 days and they take care of it there. At home we're just adjusting the bandage, maybe replacing the Petflex on top as Silvester never seems to be happy with how the vet placed it, either too tight or too loose.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C ConfusedOwner , I really do appreciate your words and the fact that you devoted some of your time to read my threads, it isn't common, believe me. Thanks so much.

Have you noticed that when the bandage is too loose the tube might be easily moved, shifted, stressed, or else? Could it be that if it's too loose the tube might irritate the point of insertion and give inflammation?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the problems he is having. Please do give us an update after the vet visit!

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading, my heart goes out for you and your kitty. I feel a ache that he has to go through such stress on the medication and vet care, and your patience, love and hopeful for him to recover asap.
I do not really know what to ask or advice to give as you would have done all the findings and any possible ways.
Can I just say apart from the possibility of losing the appetitie for food, he may experience (associate) pain in taking food? Could it be pain in his throat? How about enticing treats like Boniti Fishy Flakes? Small pieces of raw meat? Anything that is cats friendly and with strong smell that induce him to have an urge for eating. Sorry if you have tried everything.
My thoughts are with you. Hope our support will bring you comfort....

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question before anything else: what does it mean when the cat... puffs I guess... at the food while eating. Or when it does it when he gets to the bowl - just smells, puffs at it, and walks away? By puff I mean blowing up air through the nose really strong. I'm not sure what the correct English word is, I'm not a native speaker.

@mamaty1953 don't know how to look for pain. Might be there, who knows. Did try 2 types of treats, but he did not touched them. Just smelled them. To be honest, we never gave him treats before so he probably doesn't realize they are supposed to be better than normal food. Most of the time after we try him with something that smells really good he seems to get appetite because he then goes to his bowl. Actually that's how he got some of the pieces he ate, after smelling something else good. We did not try raw meat because he never had it before.

Update after vet visit. I'll keep it short because it's 3 AM here. This clinic we're using is a 24h place and there are about 6 vets there I think. Some more experienced, some not. Unfortunately tonight we got one of the latter. It was almost comical, if it wouldn't be tragic.

Long story short, the thread that keeps the tube in place was cut off, or the piece of skin on which it was tied god pulled out, not sure. Anyway, the tube was no longer kept in place, which might explain some things from the last few days. The vet offered 2 choices. Either get the tube out and give him 24hrs to eat by himself before we put it back in. Or put him under anesthesia to fix the tube back now.

We picked the former, so he's without tube until tomorrow evening at least. We didn't pick this because we hope he eats (but we do), we picked it because we didn't really trust her to put the tube in correctly. Given that at the time it was still in the esophagus, we feel a anesthesia was not really needed and the fact that she suggested that made us weary. As well as the fact that she gave us a choice in the first place.

No blood work, ultrasound or anything else. We felt it's better to have it next time when he is under, if that will happen.

He was really happy back home. Ate 10 pieces of food in one shot - a new record, then proceeded to groom himself in places he did not reach for weeks and to scratch the now free neck.

When tube feeding time came he went to the spot and stayed there for about 1hr. After that he ate 4 more pieces. All the time while eating he did that puffing thing I was asking about at the beginning of the post, and he made it few more times when he went to the ball but did not eat. Now he is sleeping with us in the bed and his stomach is making noises.

Fingers crossed that he eats enough tomorrow to keep him off the tube, but I am really pessimistic about it at this point.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can reinsert a tube after a day, my Radar had to have it done last week after he vomited up the bottom end of his and chewed the end off. I took him to the vet hospital there and then and they removed it right away, then kept him in overnight and put a new one in the same place the next day.

He needed a replacement because he still wasn't eating well after his initial surgery that required a feeding tube in the first place, and he cut up his mouth really badly clawing at it when he vomited the tube out, had to have quite a few stitches in his gums, poor wee mite.

They did say at the time that if they were unable to reinsert on the existing side they could do it on the other side of the neck through a new stoma site, I gather there is a slightly higher risk of nerve inflammation on the other side but when it's a case of life and death you have to weigh up the options and risks.

I hope your cat starts to eat soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it seems that what I said was probably right, the tube was loose and might have caused the inflammation.
Don't know what puffing might mean, probably he felt something wrong in the food.

ConfusedOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that way, yes. Puffing might mean (according to 'the internet') frustration or something like 'it is mine, back off'. Does not seem to be a clinical symptom.

He made 10 licks at hills A/D recovery this morning, which is kind of a pate. Didn't notice anything else missing when I woke up. We left him with more of that as it comes, more of that with some hot water in it for smoothness, and smell and 2 kinds of dry food. Hope he picks up on it by tonight.