At Wit's End With Cat

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My input is that the cat doesn't feel that where the litter box is currently located is a place of safety and privacy.

I think I understand that you walk in your front door and there's a closet, then the flight of stairs which goes directly up to the main living quarters of your home space? And the litter box(es) are located within that closet, right at that juncture of traffic, the stairs and the front door? If Henry is a sensitive cat as you mentioned, it could very well be that he just doesn't feel safe enough to go in a mostly enclosed space (the closet) in such a location. The lack of ventilation is definitely an issue, too, as you said the last few days you have been trying to clean, air out, and deodorize more and it has helped somewhat?

I know you said you don't want pee or poo smells up in your living quarters area but, in effect, that has already been happening as the cat is peeing and pooping upstairs. He feels safer up there and it feels cleaner? Maybe just putting the litter box in the corner of your living room behind a decorative tall screen, and cleaning the box a lot could help him stick to one place to "go"?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've kept the litter box in my bedroom for years. With the right litter and regular cleaning, it doesn't have to smell.

For a deodorizer, give this stuff a try. It has no baking soda. It smells like bleach very briefly when you first add it but that smell goes away quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did write this before but there is ventilation. I paid $250 to put an air duct with an exhaust fan from the closet to the garage. The fan runs 24/7.

There isn't much traffic coming in and out so Henry shouldn't feel "unsafe" using the box. There is no other place to put it so moving the boxes isn't an option.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up. A solution will come up. It may take some creativity and research but with the love you have already demonstrated for so many years, I am sure you will find something to help. This may seem like a very different kind of suggestion but if we just guess that Henry may have become nervous about the closet, you could simply try putting the box inside a cardboard box that is on it’s side. It might offer him an extra level of security as well as aborning some of the smell and even any possible overflow. Cats love boxes and it can easily be thrown out and replaced with a fresh box as needed. Sometimes the simple answers work. If you have exhausted all other options it is one more possibility. I know you would do anything to help Henry so I hope you find an answer quickly. :goodluck:

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that litter boxes really shouldn't stink. Especially if you're cleaning every day. My roommate keeps her litter box in her room and you would never know it and she doesn't clean it every day either. Her room has always smelled sweet (like fresh laundry, because she does do her laundry very regularly) but never of litter box or cat.

If the cat attract litter is too expensive, I would certainly look at finding a new litter. Maybe mixing litters? Finding a clumping litter but mixing it with something for natural odor prevention. I haven't looked into the labels for these litters but I have heard that walnut and grass litters have been really good for odor control.

Elizabethriki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you’re looking for something cost efficient and with no odor, try using pine pellets (see link below) from Tractor Supply. This has been amazing for us. We have only 1 cat and the bag lasts about 3 months (cost is $2 a month on litter for us). When our cat pees in it, it becomes sawdust. We got a sifting litter box and added plastic mesh to the bottom which we modified by cutting rectangles and we do an opposite sift. Whatever goes to the bottom we throw out (plus the poopy in the pellets of course) and it’s super easy to clean! We used to have a regular litter box and would take a sifter, scoop some, and shake it over a trash bag to get the sawdust in the bag. Every week we would just throw out the whole thing since it was so cheap and it would start to smell. Hope this helps.

Tractor Supply Pine Pellet Stall Bedding, 40 lb. at Tractor Supply Co.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the extent this is still a problem, I meant to ask earlier, is the custom ventilation set-up you installed noisy or is there a breeze at the level of the litter box? Just trying to think of issues that could bug a cat. Another thing you might look at is the door itself...is it consistently open to a good degree, or do people bump it partially closed? Could be your cat doesn't like dealing with a narrow opening.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about a litter box cover that looks like furniture (like below)?

It wouldn't be so noticeable in a living room. I live in NYC so totally sympathize on the small living spaces situation. But cleaning up poop on the floor daily isn't sustainable. Sometimes we have to think from the cat's perspective what's acceptable or not, and not our own.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Merry-Pr...75035&wl11=online&wl12=17628999&wl13=&veh=sem

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been about 5 or 6 days without any poop or pee, and I forgot to clean the litter box last night. I am hoping I don't jinx it by saying this, but I think this episode may be over. I'm sure there will be another one in my future with him but I am happy to have a break for now!

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I spoke too soon. He has been going in a different corner. We found a lake of pee there today. It has soaked under the floorboards and warped them. It also soaked under the baseboards so those will need to be torn up and replaced. We had put down puppy pads in his usual corner and I guess he didnt want to go there after that.

I hate to do it but he will have to be caged at night. We bought a cage for a large dog so he can stand up and move around and not be up against his litter box.

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not not sure if this has been said before as the posts have been very lengthy and it is 12 am here therefore I am too tired to read through them, but have you tried a different litter? You say that “He actively looks for soft places to pee” maybe your cat is being extra picky and would like a different litter. Has anyone ever experience a litter box without litter and maybe just a towel or blanket in a box??? This is pretty radical but I’m just curious.

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ordered the newspaper litter someone suggested but it is taking a ling time to get here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I got to wondering, is it possible that the pee was from previous? it seems like it would take a little more time to warp the boards, did you happen to notice the pee amount in the litter box was as it should have been quantity--wise?

I wanted to thank you so very much for coming back and talking with us further. I've been thinking about you this whole time :)

Speaking of quantity of pee, i also apologize I'm on my phone and it's harder to look back at your earlier thread postings, --have you had this kitty in to the vet really recently?

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, he was just at the vet a few weeks ago. Clean bill of health with the exception of very, very early stage kidney disease. The vet said that it should not be causing litter box problems or any problems actually.

I am sure he has been going in that corner a lot and we didn't catch it somehow.

My first post on this site was 7 years ago about Henry not using his litter box, but 7 years ago his brother was healthy and not terminally ill and I just had fewer responsibilities in life in general. Henry is the sweetest ginger cat who will sit in your lap all day and purr if you let him. I have never heard him hiss a single time and every vet we take him to comments about how wonderful and gentle he is. When our 2 year old niece was over Henry let her pet him and feed him treats and he was unbelievably gentle with her. He is a wonderful cat. I know everyone says that about their cat but even strangers that meet him say he is one of the sweetest they have ever met.

His only flaw as is he has always been terrible about using the litterbox. He was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 2 years of his life and I think he just never got used to not being able to use the bathroom wherever he wanted.

I am going to start meeting clients at the local library and I guess we will just have to put more litterboxes around the house. I guess we will keep family visits to the home to a minimum as well. It stinks (literally) not to be able to have guests in my home but I just can't get the boxes not to smell without baking soda.

We tried the newspaper litter and Henry avoids it like the plague. Maybe I will try another clay one next.

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our other cat, Henry's brother with advanced kidney disease, is now starting to follow Henry's lead and pee wherever he wants. I just caught him doing it in the corner where Henry usually goes (luckily on the pads). I think with him it is more of a health issue with his kidney problems. He has never had litterbox issues in the past. I know the kidney issue makes him urinate more frequently.

The things we do for the felines we love.... :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 2 years of his life and I think he just never got used to not being able to use the bathroom wherever he wanted.
Did you ever try adding a little unfertilized potting soil to the litter box(es)? Sometimes that's the key for a cat who is/was more used to doing his business outside.

Can you try a change of food? Please try this - give your cats some Rad Cat, or Primal Pronto frozen nuggets (I personally found that the nuggets are easier to handle and feed than the Rad Cat - a couple of nuggets takes no time at all to thaw) along with their regular food. Both foods are typically available nowadays in big box pet stores, in big coolers/freezers etc.

I was absolutely amazed at the difference, both because the amount of poop decreased and the smell virtually disappeared. What goes in can REALLY make a difference in what comes out, and these two brands are a lot closer to what a cat would consume "naturally".

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

I don't recall if I mentioned, but you might also consider, if you aren't already (and I apologize if this has been discussed previously) ...filtering their water, either with a brita or pur pitcher (be sure and deep clean it to avoid buildup) or a faucet end filter. If you have pet water fountains, those are charcoal filters which are fine but don't eliminate contaminants such as pesticides, fertilizers, or human meds that get into the water system. I'm dealing with a cat whose liver has had elevated blood test numbers in the past and so am super sensitive to all things related to the digestive system, and I don't believe our municipal water treatment plants are fully up to the job.

There's also this article, which contains a number of links to other articles. These aren't lengthy but have a lot of good info. There's one in particular that I want to draw your attention to as well;
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How To Minimize Litterbox Odor

Also, bless your heart!!! You are making some big life changes, and it is stressful, I know it is. If you can, try some chamomile tea, both for your cats as well as for you.
Buy it in the tea bags (not loose leaves), the bags are a type of chamomile which is safe for cats. Give them a couple teaspoons a couple times a day, and be sure and drink some yourself.

By the way, this website, that also has a support group, can help with more information about kidney cats;
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

I think the second cat may be picking up on your stress. And, if you don't have it already (and again I apologize if this has been mentioned already) pick up some Nature's Miracle - it's an enzymatic cleaner which hopefully will help cutting down on the odors that might be attracting your other cat.

I'm sending you all sorts of good thoughts :vibes: :heartshape: !!

Last edited:

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I thought I'd check back in because I solved the litterbox problem (I hope at least)! I wanted to write what I did in case it helps someone else in the future.

Since Henry is "allergic" or whatever to baking soda, I found a litter that uses activated charcoal as an odor blocker instead. Someone on this thread actually mentioned activated charcoal so when I saw the litter I decided to try it. Thank you whoever you are!

It is tidy cats brand and called "free and clean." It is completely unscented and adds nothing else besides the charcoal and the clay litter. It is more expensive than basic clay litter, but cheaper than cat attract so we are saving money! But most importantly, it actually covers the smell! After living with cats for 9 years I never thought I would have a home free of the litter box smell! I can't believe it!!

In order to keep Henry happy, I do the following:
1) Use the free and clean litter
2) Clean the box twice a day and sweep up around the litter box area every few days. His brother Walter pees a lake now because of kidney disease and doesn't bury it so Henry gets annoyed and goes on the floor if it isn't cleaned out.
3) This one is key - Henry demands a TON of litter. I was always adding like 4 inches because that's what I thought I was supposed to do, but Henry requires double that. He basically wants the whole litterbox filled almost to the top with litter. He doesn't want to touch the bottom at all while digging. Why? Who knows and I don't care! I'm just glad it works!

If I forget to clean the box before I go to sleep or I don't use enough of the litter, I wake up to poop on the floor right outside the litter closet. Unfortunately for a few days afterwards even if I correct the problem he will still use the floor. But when I consistently follow those three steps he uses the box and I am not regaining my sanity.