At what age does a cat's fur stop developing?

apf02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a blue domestic longhair. He resembles a Nebelung but he is not pure bred. Do longhairs keep getting fluffier as they age up till a certain point? I have seen pictures of his father (also a blue domestic long hair and his mom resembles a turkish angora but also not pure bred) and he was much fluffier than my kitty. Also, the father was much bigger in size which leads me to my second question. At what age do cats stop growing? I have seen that it is around 2 yrs but I feel like my kitty is still far from a being big sized kitty and he is 1 yr and 9 months old. Thank you for your help!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Interesting questions. I am not an expert on this and will tag a breeder who knows one of the larger longhair breeds, Maine Coons and maybe able to help @GemsGem.

What I can say is that many cats have seasonal patterns. They have a thicker coat during winter and then shed more than usual in springtime. 

As for overall growth, most of it is done before the cats reach sexual maturity. There's a theory claiming that once cats become sexually mature, hormonal changes slow down growth to the point of stopping (the same thing happens in humans). That's why cats that are spayed/neutered before reaching sexual maturity are claimed to be a little bit larger. As with many things related to our cats, there is little solid scientific data (and yet a LOT of opinions about pretty much anything 
 ). Here's a study which was done to try and see if early spay/neuter affects the overall weight (a good indication of size). The results are not conclusive, and it's a small-scale study to begin with. In other words, there isn't a good evidence-based answer to your question, although I suspect many breeders have their own views, based on their experience. Their views are important but should not be confused with actual studies.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think Anne said it all really not much I can add :D

They start losing their kitten coat and start developing their adult coat around 5-6 months. But then their coats change throughout the year with the seasons. Colder weather they grow thicker fuller coat and warmer weather they moult/shed most of their coat out.

For age they stop growing I agree with Anne. By sexual maturity they have near enough reached their full height and length, even the larger sized cats like Maine coons. But larger cats then can take up to a couple of years after this to fill out width wise to get that more stocky broad look. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apf02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much. You were both extremely helpful. You are so right about them shedding. My kitty,Kiwi,looks almost hairless compared to the winter season.lol
I have i'm not being too annoying but I have another question. It is concerning the eye color. I have read that concerning Nebelungs, their eyes keep changing till they are about 2 years old. Looking back at pictures, when Kiwi was younger his eyes were much more yellow in color. Later on,he developed a green ring around his eyes (typical in Nebelungs). Do you think it is possible for his eyes to develop somewhat of a light green color?
Thank you all soo much!! [emoji]128518[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apf02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope i'm not being***....

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not a scientific explanation only my experience. I have a pure Persian girl who is out of a golden/silver breeding. The silver sire is from a silver/cream cross. Now this cat, Maggie, had copper eyes with a green ring for 3 years. I thought that would be her eye color. Around her 4th birthday I noticed her eyes were ALL green. So I suppose the length of time for eye color change depends on the cat and genetics.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When I got my abyssinian kitten at 5 months he had been registered with gold eyes. (Gold and green are the only eye colors allowed for abys in CFA). The breeder had a very old retired stud with the most brilliant green eyes I've ever seen. She told me that they green tend to darken with age.

By the time Merlin was a year old I noticed he had developed a green ring around the pupils with the rest of the eyes still gold. The green expanded gradually, and now at 6 years his eyes are completely green. I didn't really keep track of exactly when his eyes changed. I haven't changed the color on his registration because I'm not showing him any more.