At my wits end with the biting

catster100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I've had my cat Koko for just over 2 years (He turned 2 in March). I got Koko as a kitten when he was about 9-12ish weeks old and he was neutered at 5 months old. I have NEVER EVER played with my hands, even when he was a kitten or encouraged biting. When he would bite as a kitten I would always walk away and ignore him because I read that was a good idea to get him to stop.

I LOVE Koko to bits but am at a loss for what to do about his biting. He'll be siting somewhere so I come to pet him and it will be ok for about 10 seconds then he latches on and bites and grabs my arm and starts really going at it. Or he'll come to me for pets and after a few seconds he'll bite my arm really hard. I do pay attention to see his body language (swishing tail..etc) and he has none, it's an attack out of the blue. So I started barely petting him but then sometimes he'll jump on my desk while I study or do work and he'll come sit on my paper or something, I go to move him or I am simply writing and ignoring him and he latches on to my arm and gives me a pretty good bite. I am tired of having scratches and bite marks all over my hands and arms.

Just now I was doing some homework and he jumps on to my desk and sleeps on my papers (I have 6 finals this week and despite that I still stop to play with him throughout the day) so I moved him over and he bit me and scratched me very good. So I scruffed him and lost my cool a bit and yelled at him to stop ( I NEVER ever pick him up when scruffing, just pull on the skin to get him to let go and then let him go and I never yelled super loud but louder than I would like to). So now I feel extremely guilty for yelling at him but I need a suitable method of punishment because ignoring him is not working. He seems to think that biting me will make me leave him alone so leaving him alone has backfired on me.

Anyone have any advice? Giving him up is absolutely NOT an option, but something needs to change.

Thank you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: catster100, welcome to TCS!

It seems to me that you have a cat with a low threshold of over stimulation and on top of that, he could have left his mommy at too young of age and lack social skills. 12 - 13 weeks should be around the timeline for the kitten to leave it's mother and I'm just guessing that your kitten could have left the mother a little earlier than you mentioned.

Though he likes you to pet him or he comes to you for pets and he quickly turned to start his nips, you can sometimes avoid him as he comes around you or get leave his toys around within your reach and at anytime he he is about to make a move, distract him with the toy. And of course you can speak to him in a firm voice and tell him no and walk away and give him the toy to play with. A Kickapoo may be a good choice but I guess anything bother than your legs and hands are good options to distract him.

My boy is the same, he cannot be over stimulated and sometimes for no reason, he'll just ambush me when I walk by and give me the rugby tackle and start gnawing on me :lol: so I'll say 'No' firmly and distract him with a ball or his toys or just knock on the table to create a noise to distract him or if I notice that he's ambushing me, I change direction and walk else where to get past him.

I never punish him and I still love him to bits.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried trixie puzzles? Set one up while you work. I use a pill cutter and cut a treat in quarters.does he have a tower to look out the window? My cats love watching the birds. Wear him out by playing with a wand toy. Can you clicker train him to sit when he comes at you?

Attachments

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like Tabbytom said it might just be a stimulation thing... I met a stray once who was a total diva, loved everyone and couldn't get enough attention - one morning around 6am she actually got on top of a car and yowled at the entire neighborhood. Still, she had a habit of swatting seemingly at random. It wasn't an injury, it wasn't a specific spot, she just could only take so much stroking in one sitting. Not quite as bad but my own cat tends to take any stroking outside of the head/neck as an invitation to play, which evokes a similar reaction to the one you're describing. Definitely limit petting to the head if you aren't already as many cats find contact outside of that to be uncomfortable.