At a loss--vomiting and diarrhea

jujubz75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I'll try and keep short. 9 year old tabby cat. About a year ago she would once in a blue moon vomit. She eats very fast and would sometimes throw it up right after so I tried laying down the food on cookie sheet. We moved in July and I travel for work. I started coming home to find piles of vomit and diarrhea everywhere. The stool was loose with blood and mucus. I couldn't tell if it was vomit or stool. Then the vomit would be half digested food to pure bile.

I took her to the vet and the only blood test that was abnormal was whatever they tested in pancreas. So he put her on carafate syrup and endosorb. And I/d food. Gave her a steroid shot (I think) and something to stop the vomiting and no more issues! Then Super Bowl Sunday after she gets off her meds, she threw up every two hours all day. Since then it's been random and sporadic. I can't pin it to a time or day or event.

The stool sometimes is black and tarry. Sometimes it's loose and mucus/blood. The vomit is mostly half digested food.

I can't afford 400 every time she throws up. I feel like it's diet related but that I/d isn't cutting it. I can't give her wet food because she has runny bowels. So when she's having an episode she gets lethargic and dehydrated.

I'm beside myself. Like I said, I have had her for 9 years. The pound gave her to me at 4 weeks saying she was 6 but putting on paper she was 8. I've nursed this cat, brought her back from almost dying on me as a kitten. I want to help her and hoping someone has an idea where to point my vet because X-rays, more tests etc... we don't have time or money for guessing games.

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like irritable bowel. You may be able to clear it up with a food change (Stella and Chewys Duck Duck Goose or rabbit is good) but I found the easiest thing for my elderly cat was daily steroids. Crushed pill in her food.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
J jujubz75
Possible IBS or maybe a food allergy. I'm bumping this up so you might get more feedback from our more experienced members

Welcome to TCS, by the way.

I hope you're able to get more feedback.

There are several active threads for IBS or food allergies in cats. Try searching on IBS, diarrhea or constipation to see what other members have tried

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also don't go by the adage she needs dry because she has diarrhea. She probably has diarrhea because of the ingredients in the dry. Op, hows kity now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jujubz75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So thank you for the leads down Ibd food allergy. I looked at the food my sister feeds her (with no issue) and mine not realizing they were different. Guess what....my food had yellow dye #6. That ingredient has been banned in a couple European countries and causes a lot of the same issues my cat has. When I swapped we had an accident a little bit after but so far so good! I'm happy to say only a couple of small incidents. I think I have figured out the vomit and diahrrea! Thank you all.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great! I hope you continue on TCS, there is a lot of great information here.