Asthma maintenance?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm new to feline asthma - my foster failure Scarlet (12 years old) just got diagnosed with feline asthma and we just finished a course of Prednisone. That worked wonderfully and now she's not having any asthma attacks....however, I'm guessing we aren't "done" with the issue, only that it was temporarily corrected with the meds. So now I'm just trying to be proactive and see what can be done for the future.

So I'm hoping that other owners of cats with asthma can chime in here - do I just "be on the lookout" for any symptoms and call the vet as necessary? Is there such a thing as maintenance meds? Should I get an inhaler? (And i hear they are expensive - if I do need to get one, where are people getting their inhalers).??

Any and all info is appreciated! Thanks!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Two of my three have asthma, one who is in her early teens and had it since being a few years old. My vet explained to keep her away from scents and anything burning (no candles, incense, perfume, air fresheners, smoking), vacuum and dust regularly, and keep a healthy weight (esp. because pred can increase their appetite).

If Scarlet can be trained to take an inhaled maintenance med, that is the safest long term! yes, it is more pricy. My vet had a Canadian pharmacy some clients have used before she sent a prescription to for me. It was ~$50 for a 1 month supply (5+ years ago). My oldest is very sensitive to smell, so I was never able to get her to use the inhaled. She did great with the mask and spacer training, but as soon as I sprayed the medicine I had to start over getting her okay with the mask. My youngest was just diagnosed a year ago and I haven't tried the inhaled with her. But many cats do great and can be trained to take it! Here is an example of the spacer and mask: Amazon.com : Cat Aerosol Chamber (3 Masks) - Feline Inhaler Spacer for Cat Asthma – Include 3 Masks to fit All Cats (Medical Grade) : Pet Supplies

It sounds like your kitty responded to prednisone, which is great! Some cats do not respond to it and need a different form called prednisolone, like my Isabelle, which is a more broken down form. While oral pred can be hard on the body over time, luckily cats respond better than other animals. So while still a concern, it is less of a concern for cats.

Both of my cats require meds all year round. Isabelle has seasonal allergies and can have her dose lowered in the fall until spring. Persia seems like she needs the same dose year round. I try to keep their dose as low as possible. Normally when they need a higher dose, or when Isabelle needs hers increased in the spring, their breathing becomes noisier and may sound a little wheezy (like if they meow when I pick them up, it is noticeable and more wheezy) and/or the coughing starts.

My vet also said that an albuterol inhaler can be used for emergencies, which quickly opens up the airways and considered a rescue inhaler. I've never had to use it, but I have one for myself and the same could be used on my cat, if needed.

Someone also shared this video with me, which their vet had recommended. It is nebulizing, which seems to be a different way to give medication. Not sure if this is instead of using the mask and spacer, or if there is a different reason for this, but just to share some options.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a good web site about feline asthma: Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

There's an asthma group here: felineasthma groups.io Group

Asthma can't be cured, just managed usually with a combination of medication and keeping the home as allergen-free as possible. Medication may only be needed as needed depending on the severity of the asthma. Some cats may need steroids on occasion while others may need inhaled medicine daily. One of my cats takes prednisolone as needed, mostly for his IBD but it also works for his asthma.

Ask the vet if you should keep an emergency inhaled medicine on hand just in case. you'll need the AeroKat device to administer inhaled medicine. This is the product web site and there is info there on how to train a cat to use it: AeroKat for Cats | Trudell Animal Health You don't have to buy the product directly from the company. As linked above, Amazon sells it at almost half the cost.

Use less dusty cat litter, stand alone air filter machines with HEPA filters in the home, dust and vacuum often, etc.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm new to feline asthma - my foster failure Scarlet (12 years old) just got diagnosed with feline asthma and we just finished a course of Prednisone. That worked wonderfully and now she's not having any asthma attacks....however, I'm guessing we aren't "done" with the issue, only that it was temporarily corrected with the meds. So now I'm just trying to be proactive and see what can be done for the future.

So I'm hoping that other owners of cats with asthma can chime in here - do I just "be on the lookout" for any symptoms and call the vet as necessary? Is there such a thing as maintenance meds? Should I get an inhaler? (And i hear they are expensive - if I do need to get one, where are people getting their inhalers).??

Any and all info is appreciated! Thanks!

Good advice given. My Sybil had asthma but it went into “remission” for many years. As a younger cat she had to be on inhalers and prednisolone when needed for 2 years or so. Then her attacks stopped. But I recommend putting her on a steroid inhaler regularly to control it. Just rule out heart disease if possible first.