asthma in children, I wonder are stoves causing asthma in cats?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't mentioned in the article, I doubt the investigators have thought of them, but I've found cats hang out in the kitchen as much as possible. One of mine, who did NOT get asthma, liked to sleep on the stove between the units when they were off. She was sleeping on the metal plate over the pilot light. Does the danger include gas furnaces for people who have cats that hang out in their basements? It'll be a while before that's looked into since in most places children can't get near the furnace. I did have one cat with stress asthma, but I, also, lived in houses that were air leaky -- the curtains moved when the windows were shut. Opinions? Information? Anyone?

New research reveals we were told a massive, 50-year-long lie about this common household appliance — here’s the reason why (msn.com)

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t place much stock in the article you linked to. It’s long on rhetoric and short on facts.

However, I would not leave anything unattended on a gas stove with pilot lights because of the risk of fire. For her safety, I’d never let my cat on the stove. Cats on any stove is a hard no.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an opinion...
Considering the article is quoting the dangers based on findings in the 70's, I would assume that those same dangers are not as high or prevalent these days. Gas stove companies are making much safer equipment/appliances than before and the overhead hood fans/ vents are pretty powerful...if you actually turn them on while cooking. I would like to know if people actually used, or even had fans back then too. If your furnace and gas appliances are properly maintained, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Leaks happen of course, but many appliances even have automatic sensors and shut down the unit if it senses anything is amiss.
I'm more concerned about general indoor air quality, especially with "high efficiency" homes. If the air exchangers are actually pulling enough fresh air into the home and of course the filters need to be maintained as well. I've read studies about such things and they found that many homes that were built to be efficient had terrible air quality.
I'm not doubting the article completely...we've been lied to by big companies time and again for profits. Tobacco and sugar are the two biggest ones I can think of off the top of my head, but in this case, I'm leaning towards "user error" as a much bigger problem leading to unsafe air quality when dealing with gas appliances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The odd thing was the cat only got on the stove when I took the knobs off. It was another of those open concept kitchens. I took the knobs off at night too, because you never know where cats will go.

Happy to hear the belief is the problem no longer really exists.

I will say, I agree with Jem Jem the idea of a "sealed" house is sort of scary to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about what you guys said about the article being out of date, and you're right, that was an old article. Hoping for better results I went looking for newer information. This is what I found. The Guardian articles is about US stoves and research, not UK. The Smithsonian is also about US stoves.

Below is an article from the Smithsonian Magazine in Feb of 2022 and one from the Guardian Jan 2023.

Gas Stoves Are Worse for Climate and Health Than Previously Thought | Smart News| Smithsonian Magazine

Are gas stoves really dangerous? What we know about the science | Air pollution | The Guardian

One in eight cases of asthma in US kids caused by gas stove pollution – study | Pollution | The Guardian

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked into this, personally, and believe there is at least SOME degree of increased risk with gas stoves, based on everything I've read. I just don't know how much. Might be negligible, might not.

I have a "perfect storm" case if it is indeed true. I live in an old building with no kitchen airflow, and an older gas stove. It's an apartment building, so I have no control over the appliances. My cat came with respiratory issues from the start, as I rescued him from outside and he was sick. He is now approaching 10 years old.

However, I've lived here for 8 years, and he is healthy at every vet checkup. I also can't afford to move somewhere else for now. It's a little concerning, but as long as he isn't developing any health issues I am not worrying about it.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carpets was the really bad thing for my rainbow bridge angel Ebony :(

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by that?
my ebony had really bad asthma

when i moved to a house that didnt have carpets, her asthma improved a lot, it never completely went away but it did improve loads just by me not having carpets in this house

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my ebony had really bad asthma

when i moved to a house that didnt have carpets, her asthma improved a lot, it never completely went away but it did improve loads just by me not having carpets in this house
Interesting.

I mentioned having a gas stove in my apartment, but it's all hardwood floors.

Never had a cat before Willy, and he's only lived in two homes, both with hardwood floors.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a gas stove and I have 2 cats with asthma. We do have gas central heat, but their asthma is better in the winter when we actually run the heater. We have carpets and I've noticed that when I vacuum frequently, the asthma attacks are fewer.