asthma attack after ventolin / salbutamol

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using both salbutamol 100 mcg (blue inhaler) and flovent 125 mcg (orange inhaler) for my cat's asthma.
Sometimes after I give him salbutamol, he gets an asthma attack.

I want to know exactly how many puffs of each or how many inhalations should I be giving him?

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. These are meds prescribed to your cat by his vet, correct? That being said, the vet should have provided instructions on how/when/how much to use of each, and as far as I know that should be followed as prescribed. Any change in the dosages should be approved by the vet. I think you should contact them and tell them what is happening, and confirm the proper dosages. Perhaps, the vet might want to change one or both of them based on what you describe to them. If it would help them any, you could send a video of what he is doing after you give him the salbutamol.

While others who have used these meds with their cats can tell you if they have experienced something similar, I sincerely doubt that they will be in a position to advise on what to do about it in your specific case. Let us know what the vet says!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet had a fit after I said no to further vaccinations so I am currently looking for another vet.

I think I'm giving too much so probably i just need to 7-10 inhalations for salbutamol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until such time that you find another vet, can't you at least use the current one to get this matter straightened out for your little guy?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi nick8.

First off (besides kudos! for 'kicking' the vacs), you might consider looking for a cat-only Vet, preferably a well-experienced (years in practice), consummate one. If you need leads, post back.

Now, in my experience, the very best (knowledgeable, well-informed) advice around managing chronic feline health conditions comes from folks who run the specialized online health groups. There are (at least) two of those, the links below:
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws is someone with in-depth personal experience with the condition and inhalers - perhaps they can drop by and provide some interim, informed advice.

I have this thread bookmarked - it might have something useful: https://thecatsite.com/threads/inhaler-asthma-difficulties-advice-please.364707/

....just hoping I haven't taken you down any rabbit holes :lol: