Aspiring Cat Lady

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I found you guys after losing my cat of 16 years the day before Mother's Day this year. Nikki saw my through middle school (!), high school, college, and my first year as a teacher. I spent a good deal of my grieving time reading through posts in the rainbow bridge section. Just having people who understood, and had been there, made me feel so much better.

I didn't want to do anything too soon after Nikki's passing, but I am ultimately ready to share my love with another baby. My brother is a little weary, as he loved Nikki dearly, but is supportive nonetheless and is coming with me next weekend to pick up a pair of 9 week old kittens I am adopting from a lady who has fostered them since birth.

I look forward to sharing with everyone in the months, and years, to come :')
I was just a kid the last time I had a "kitten", and have had a senior kitty my adult life. I have of course being doing tons of research on kitten care. Any advice for a somewhat newb?

Best wishes,
ch

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello ch-leesha ch-leesha , welcome to TCS :wave3:

So sorry to hear about Nikki :alright: and I do believe she had a very good 16 years growing up with you.

Glad that now you are adopting a pair of new kittens and your brother is supportive.

Though Nikki was with you since young and now you are getting new kittens, it's good to just have a refresher course on having new kittens. Here's an article for you to read :-

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Besides this article, there are many good reads in the Articles section. Feel free to ask questions and do your home work and make your house cat safe before the new kitties arrive.

Here are some articles for your further reading to make your house safe for them :-

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

Poisonous Plants

Toxic Plants

Pet Poison | List of Pet Toxins for Dogs and Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello ch-leesha ch-leesha , welcome to TCS :wave3:

So sorry to hear about Nikki :alright: and I do believe she had a very good 16 years growing up with you.

Glad that now you are adopting a pair of new kittens and your brother is supportive.

Though Nikki was with you since young and now you are getting new kittens, it's good to just have a refresher course on having new kittens. Here's an article for you to read :-

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Besides this article, there are many good reads in the Articles section. Feel free to ask questions and do your home work and make your house cat safe before the new kitties arrive.

Here are some articles for your further reading to make your house safe for them :-

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

Poisonous Plants

Toxic Plants

Pet Poison | List of Pet Toxins for Dogs and Cats
Thank you so much! This will keep me busy for a while:hellocomputer:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Sorry to hear about Nikki ! It must have been heartbreaking ! Please do keep us updated on new kittens !! I got a 7 week old kitten after never ever having had a cat before and this website has helped me through the last 6 months !!! At least you have 2 and they can bite and chase each other rather than you ! :hyper:

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At least you have 2 and they can bite and chase each other rather than you ! :hyper:
That's definitely the thought process :lol: I'm looking forward to watching them grow up together :') I've already learned so much here! Where has it been all my life!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I went through a similar situation, losing my solo kitty of almost 18 years, and then adopting two rambunctious kittens. Wow, what a difference from being around a quiet elder kitty to two kittens with a seemingly permanent case of the zoomies. :lol: One thing that changed right away was no more vases of flowers around the house. There was nowhere I could put them that a curious kitten wouldn't find and knock over. :doh:

Be sure to post photos of the kitties when you get them. Do they have names yet?

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I went through a similar situation, losing my solo kitty of almost 18 years, and then adopting two rambunctious kittens. Wow, what a difference from being around a quiet elder kitty to two kittens with a seemingly permanent case of the zoomies. :lol: One thing that changed right away was no more vases of flowers around the house. There was nowhere I could put them that a curious kitten wouldn't find and knock over. :doh:

Be sure to post photos of the kitties when you get them. Do they have names yet?
We went to the shelter yesterday to play with some (I have a friend who is also looking). Talk about energy!!!!!

I will definitely post pictures :) I pick them up in a week! I think I'm going to name the little girl Luna and her brother, Mistoffelees :) (nicknamed Mika - a name my first graders came up with:lol:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and congratulations on the new members joining your family! We're so glad that you are here!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome!!!! I am sorry you have lost your beloved cat.I applaud your adopting a pair of kittens, I think the highest honor to the memory of your cat is to save another. I am sure she would approve.
As far as kittens, I have only raised kittens together once, my first cats many years ago. Since then I have adopted adults. The only advice I would have given is adopting 2 instead of one.I didn't listen to folks who told me that when I was adopting my first cat (Ziggy) within two weeks I realized I needed help and the only living thing capable of helping was another kitten(enter Leo) two cats really are 1/2 the work of 1.When you have questions be sure to come to TCS and ask, there are so many people willing to give good advice and encouragement. Can't wait to see pictures of your kitties!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think it's swings and roundabouts ! Everyone told me to get another kitten was gracie was tiny as we did and still do have to give her a lot of attention ! On the plus side being the only one she is spoilt, has the best food, cat insurance and all our attention

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up the babies on a Sunday! They are very sweet, and are just becoming comfortable to come out and explore and chase each other all over the place! (I used my phone once as a flashlight and now they tend to dart when I take it out for pictures!;) The white one is Ari and the black and white one is Mika!

Attachments