Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she feed on demand instead of measured for a while? That way he can bulk back up.

Psyllium, yeah that makes sense. If anyone's used Metamucil, it turns water to goo because the expansion of the fiber is crazy big. That's also why fiber pills have you drink a ton of water with it, it apparently also expands like crazy and they want you to make sure it's in your stomach with sufficient water, not in the esophagus when it expands.

But yay for the new food. I was really worried over the weight loss and the vet's belief a cat won't starve himself.
Cindy and Artie are accustomed to feeding on demand. The problems with that right now are:
  1. Artie has been starving. Too much food all at once will come right back out, which will do him no good.
  2. Artie still has motility issues, which means he needs all his meds, at least one of which must be given on an empty stomach.
Not to be a party pooper, but this remains cause for guarded optimism. Artie isn't out of the woods, much as we would all like to believe that he is. This just means that there's still a chance for him. I know; that's more than we had yesterday, and it is cause for celebration. What it isn't is a total cure for everything that's wrong with Artie.

:crossfingers:

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know why my reply showed up in red since I did not change the text color and the emoji's didn't show either - anyone know why this happened?

Never mind it's working now. :dunno:
Nope, no idea.

inkysmom inkysmom , just one thing, then back to Artie. Document everything! And if your horse dies of starvation, charge this :censored: barn owner. You told her in advance what was needed, and she has no right to overrule you, especially since it's become obvious that her way isn't working. You're paying her to take care of your horse; you have every right to expect that she'll actually do what you're paying her to do.

Margret

Last edited:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Margret I've got dozens of texts daily updating my 3 close friends about the whole situation. I drove 100 miles today to pick up the new medication from the vet and give her the 1st dose. And the owner is checking all the feed to make sure it's safe for her newly diagnosed medical condition. There's texts and emails about everything.
She won't die of starvation, she's now finishing all her meals. She'll either die from an untreatable medical condition or complications that can't be predicted or I'll euthanize her when the time is right with guidance from a vet.
She's always been fed, mow she's eating and turns out the owner did add a food or 2 she likes without telling me when vet backed up my assertion.
Back to Artie, yay Artie! Keep eating and pooping!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret I've got dozens of texts daily updating my 3 close friends about the whole situation. I drove 100 miles today to pick up the new medication from the vet and give her the 1st dose. And the owner is checking all the feed to make sure it's safe for her newly diagnosed medical condition. There's texts and emails about everything.
She won't die of starvation, she's now finishing all her meals. She'll either die from an untreatable medical condition or complications that can't be predicted or I'll euthanize her when the time is right with guidance from a vet.
She's always been fed, mow she's eating and turns out the owner did add a food or 2 she likes without telling me when vet backed up my assertion.
Back to Artie, yay Artie! Keep eating and pooping!
I am greatly relieved. :hugs:

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , I've asked Cindy, but the last I heard from her she was about to leave and running late so I don't know whether she'll get the message in time. However, I doubt it, since Artie is eating the new prescription food with great enthusiasm.

Okay, time for an update before I have to leave for the day:
  1. Last night Cindy and Artie played the hunt and chase game with the new kibble and Artie ate about 30 pieces, so Cindy left the kibble out for overnight. Artie didn't touch it and this morning he refused to play the game, so the kibble is going back.
  2. Cindy is picking up 5 more cans today.
  3. As of this morning before Cindy left the house, Artie had already devoured another can (1/3 of a can at a time) just this morning, and he's licking the bowl clean just to make sure he doesn't miss any.
  4. Still no poop.
  5. Cindy did give Artie the appetite stimulant, but not his nausea meds.
Later, all. Have a good weekend. With any luck Cindy will feel enough better to start posting her own updates shortly.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.