Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, guys. I just got off of the phone with Artiemom. She and Artie are back home. He's ok for now, but the NVet is very concerned that there just aren't many options left, so the very short term answer is that Artie is home with her and ok for now, but the long term is very guarded and iffy. She will be back here tomorrow at some point and fill you in on more details. I don't want to get confused and give anyone the wrong information. She asked me to tell you all how much your support means, and that she will be here soon.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys. I just got off of the phone with Artiemom. She and Artie are back home. He's ok for now, but the NVet is very concerned that there just aren't many options left, so the very short term answer is that Artie is home with her and ok for now, but the long term is very guarded and iffy. She will be back here tomorrow at some point and fill you in on more details. I don't want to get confused and give anyone the wrong information. She asked me to tell you all how much your support means, and that she will be here soon.
Thank you for this update. If you are in comm with her, please let her know that so many are praying for sweet Artie, for what is best for him. We do not always know what that is, but, though our faiths differ, we must know that our Creator does know and that Artie is Cherished and Loved.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart sank when I read "Not good news". *sigh* I'm sure like everyone else here, I was waiting for more helpful news. I'm so, so sorry things have gotten to this point. Both Artie and Artiemom are in my thoughts. I wish I knew what else to say or do.

rubear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't go well for Artie today. I know all too well the burden of getting that bad news. We're all pulling for you both and I hope you're just spending some quality time with Artie tonight and trying not to worry. There's plenty of time to worry tomorrow.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.. I will try to be brief and unemotional.

Artie has a small nodule in his lung. We do not know if it is benign or cancer. Dr B is feeling it is cancer, due to Artie's history of long standing IBD.. IBD can morph into lymphoma.
Under normal circumstances, we would only watch it.. but we are going to kind of forget about it, altogether.

Arie had a dilated colon full of stool.. soft stool. Stool so soft and packed so tightly that Dr B could not palpate it on exam. Artie did have a large poop in the litter box, just before I came in. I think Dr B squeezed it out of him.

We are pretty much medically out of options. Artie's major issue is his colon. The only thing which uninvasive which would help, is the RC Fiber Response food. But he is refusing it.
Dr B feels he is refusing it because he got sick on it--- IBD.. it only comes in chicken.. DAmn Royal Canin for not making a different protein!! I e-mailed them and told them my story.
Will not help Artie, but may help someone else.

The reason why Artie is refusing so many foods is because he gets 'sick' on them; full, cannot poop. That is when he rejects them. Makes sense. I thought more on the lines of fussiness, but no, Dr B is right.

The other alternative is a Colectomy (removal of colon). Dr B and I both decided NO!
Dr B is not a big fan of this surgery. He said it is a horrible surgery.

For the IBD, we could put him on Leukeron, but, if the mass in his lung is cancerous, why are we bothering to do so.. in addition the Leukeron will not aid his Large Colon, (defecation).

Could increase the steroid for the IBD, but Artie is already at pretty much the max dose.

Could increase the cisapride a bit more, but that could impact his heart arrhythmia even more.

So we are out of options.

I am to continue with his meds the way they are for now. Dr B said he wanted to research a couple of things. I am not hopeful.

I am to force the RC Fiber Response food on Artie,, and give him a daily cyproheptadine, until he gets the side effects from it.. If Artie goes 3 days without eating, losing weight.. I am to let it happen.. this food seems to be his only chance.

Dr B also told me that I am doing so much for Artie.. to the point that it is effecting my life. That HE would not be able to do as much as I am... and for so long.

I told Dr B that I need help with this "decision", and asked if he would help me along.. He said he would. He also gave me a huge hug when he left. He wanted me to just get Artie and leave.. he will be sending me the discharge notes today...

I did get a brief summary from the hospital while I was waiting for Artie to be cleaned up.
Of course, I lost it.. I do not know what I did with it..

I will just call today for it to be e-mailed to me.. Jen is a sweetheart.

Guess I will be be slowly donating his food, and unused toys to the shelters..both mine and the SPCA... but not everything.. just the stuff we have not used.. and are not being used.

On the other hand, perhaps Artie will re-take to the RC FR food. That food was amazing for him.

When the time comes, I do not want to do it alone, but I do not know who to ask to accompany me. My closest friend is older, actually I call her my older sister, and does not drive into Boston. My cousin, who would drive, would upset me even more..

I have to stop thinking about that.. I need to focus on the present.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you again for last night and for updating...((hugs))

and thank you to all who are reading this and were concerned...((hugs))

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Dr B also told me that I am doing so much for Artie.. to the point that it is effecting my life. That HE would not be able to do as much as I am... and for so long.
I have to stop thinking about that.. I need to focus on the present.
:yeah: Many people would not do what you have done for Artie. When the time does come, you know you have done everything you can for him. :hugs:

Having said that, Artie has been on a roller coaster ride. You are in a down right now and he may very well perk up, start eating more, etc.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that n vet sounded out of options. They could do some more tests to find out if what's on his lung is cancer or benign and it seems like they should start there.
Maybe I'm uninformed but no one ever told me about ibd having an increased risk of cancer when my dog was diagnosed with it. I do know that sudden diet changes aren't good.
Try to stay positive and not think of the end yet hopefully it's a long way off, unless n vet gave you a specific timeline. And know that you'll have the strength you need to do what's best for Artie no matter who is or isn't with you at the time. I lost 5 cats and a beloped dog in the past 2 years and not a single person was with me for any of the deaths or euthanasias. Sometimes a friend who lived long distance would talk on the phone around the times, but I drove myself to and from the vet hospital alone each time, more than an hour round trip with no real support. Not at all ideal but better than having someone nonsupportive with you. In emergencies, you're much stronger than you think.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry the news isn't what you expected:(

As the others have said already... We're here for you:grouphug2:

Big Hugs for sweet Artie Boy and Big Hugs to you.

Be well my friend. I'm so very sorry. Our shoulders and ears are all yours, feel free to rant all you want, express yourself as you feel, we all need that release and we're here to listen to you:hearthrob:

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

I will keep you both close in my prayers. xoxoHope

Status
Not open for further replies.