Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was surprised again, this morning, when Artie came up to me, meowing for me to wake up!!! It was time!!
He followed me all over the place, visiting me in the bathroom, going from room to room, shutting off the night lights and opening the drapes. He then allowed me to cuddle with him on my lap for 20 minutes! What a sweetie today.
He took his medicine pretty good today!! not bad, but more to come.
Funny how they have our routine down pat. :biggrin: All good news for Artie and mom too. Hopefully there are more good days than bad and this is definitely a fantastic day for your guy. :clap:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I really appreciate it.. however, Artie has not eaten anything at all today!! I think he wants NEW/DIFFERENT food!!!!!!!!!

He was curled up on my bed for most of the day. Right now he is on his pillow/bed, on the coach.

He was kind of fresh.. He did not eat any food, but wet over to eat the cord from the blinds!!! I had to make sure they were curled up, high.

I was going through my mail. I make a mess: a pile of bills to pay, a pile of paper to throw out, a pile of stuff to shred and the pile of ones which I have written the checks out for.
I usually throw the trash on the floor.. It is easier for me, because I use the entire kitchen table.

Artie went over to the trash pile, started chomping on some of the paper!! Bad Boy!! no food but trash..and cords..
I had to shoo him away a couple of times; he kept returning!!

Then he went to the litter box, to pee, and came flying out as if a pit bull was chasing him!!! I had to laugh!

Artie is taking his medicine good today.. but no food.. strange..
He had absolutely no choice in the matter it is this food or nothing.

He is one crazy, messed up kitty today!! But I love it!! and him...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I really appreciate it.. however, Artie has not eaten anything at all today!! I think he wants NEW/DIFFERENT food!!!!!!!!!

He was curled up on my bed for most of the day. Right now he is on his pillow/bed, on the coach.

He was kind of fresh.. He did not eat any food, but wet over to eat the cord from the blinds!!! I had to make sure they were curled up, high.

I was going through my mail. I make a mess: a pile of bills to pay, a pile of paper to throw out, a pile of stuff to shred and the pile of ones which I have written the checks out for.
I usually throw the trash on the floor.. It is easier for me, because I use the entire kitchen table.

Artie went over to the trash pile, started chomping on some of the paper!! Bad Boy!! no food but trash..and cords..
I had to shoo him away a couple of times; he kept returning!!

Then he went to the litter box, to pee, and came flying out as if a pit bull was chasing him!!! I had to laugh!

Artie is taking his medicine good today.. but no food.. strange..
He had absolutely no choice in the matter it is this food or nothing.

He is one crazy, messed up kitty today!! But I love it!! and him...
My cats go on what I call "food strike", too, especially sometimes when it's really hot. They always get over it. Artie will, too, soon, I hope. But it does sound like he likes variety -- my cats do, too, so I always order a lot of different foods. My Elvis has a "thing" for plastic -- he doesn't eat it, but he will lick it, so I shoo him away from it.

Hoping Artie will EAT soon! and wishing you both a good evening.

*A shredding party sounds great!*

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie decided to begin eating at 6pm tonight!!! crazy cat.. he is still very playful!!!!! and my best 'bud'.....

He pooped at 9:30 pm .... around 13 x 1.2- 1/4 inches... fur connecting the pieces.. he is shedding a ton of fur...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know something about cats who don't want to eat all day then they lick their bowl clean at night.
Artie must be one of them.
Not sure if this is something to d with stomach issues, IBD or else.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie decided to begin eating at 6pm tonight!!! crazy cat.. he is still very playful!!!!! and my best 'bud'.....

He pooped at 9:30 pm .... around 13 x 1.2- 1/4 inches... fur connecting the pieces.. he is shedding a ton of fur...
Just so he eats, yes? My three usually love their dinner more than breakfast or lunch, though they're usually pretty good eaters in general. Artie sounds like he needs more moisture in his diet and/or more water.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just so he eats, yes? My three usually love their dinner more than breakfast or lunch, though they're usually pretty good eaters in general. Artie sounds like he needs more moisture in his diet and/or more water.
I have 3 water bowls in different locations. One in the kitchen, a placemat away from his food, another one (main one used) in the living area, and another one next to the toilet in the bathroom. I know the BR one sounds weird, but Artie just loves to drink from the toilet! YUCK! Gross.. I am hoping by having a small bowl next to the toilet, he will drink from there, instead.. and I am keeping the top shut closed.

I am trying to get more water in him, but he is getting impossible to syringe. I could try some tuna water, but I do not want to begin spoiling him with that.

Years ago, I did try a couple of fountains. They were noisy. Artie did not drink from it. One of them, a plastic one, leaked.. and I still have the ceramic one in the closet.
On to his update:
Artie pooped a ton before I went to bed!! It was 13 inches long!! OMGosh!!! and it was kind of held together with different pieces of fur. As long as it comes out, that is great..Kind of looked like a snake! or a curvy road on a map...

Artie cuddled with me, again, last night. Sweet boy. Yes, he did play again this morning. I had to bounce his ball a few times..

He is now starting to 'fake me out'. He becomes aware of when I am about to give him his meds. Artie runs right into the bathroom where his litter box is. He pretends to either hide behind it, or the new thing is to "pretend' that is his digging!! He keeps pretending to dig, knowing that I will not bother him while he is in the box.. smart cat...

Of course, I go along with him... and then, I grab him, when he least expects it. I wait until I am certain he is 'faking' ... crazy cat....

He ate well this morning. 1/8 of a cup. It is a cold, rainy, windy day. Artie was curled up in his tent, until I bothered him with his last med. He is currently curled up on my bed. It is as if he rediscovered it!

All in all, he is so much improved.. no more probiotic, no more cerenia, no more cyproheptadine...just daily sub-q's, pred, lactulose, and cisapride.. that is more than enough, but he is doing so much better than he did 5 months ago..

I am thankful and grateful..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 water bowls in different locations. One in the kitchen, a placemat away from his food, another one (main one used) in the living area, and another one next to the toilet in the bathroom. I know the BR one sounds weird, but Artie just loves to drink from the toilet! YUCK! Gross.. I am hoping by having a small bowl next to the toilet, he will drink from there, instead.. and I am keeping the top shut closed.

I am trying to get more water in him, but he is getting impossible to syringe. I could try some tuna water, but I do not want to begin spoiling him with that.

Years ago, I did try a couple of fountains. They were noisy. Artie did not drink from it. One of them, a plastic one, leaked.. and I still have the ceramic one in the closet.
On to his update:
Artie pooped a ton before I went to bed!! It was 13 inches long!! OMGosh!!! and it was kind of held together with different pieces of fur. As long as it comes out, that is great..Kind of looked like a snake! or a curvy road on a map...

Artie cuddled with me, again, last night. Sweet boy. Yes, he did play again this morning. I had to bounce his ball a few times..

He is now starting to 'fake me out'. He becomes aware of when I am about to give him his meds. Artie runs right into the bathroom where his litter box is. He pretends to either hide behind it, or the new thing is to "pretend' that is his digging!! He keeps pretending to dig, knowing that I will not bother him while he is in the box.. smart cat...

Of course, I go along with him... and then, I grab him, when he least expects it. I wait until I am certain he is 'faking' ... crazy cat....

He ate well this morning. 1/8 of a cup. It is a cold, rainy, windy day. Artie was curled up in his tent, until I bothered him with his last med. He is currently curled up on my bed. It is as if he rediscovered it!

All in all, he is so much improved.. no more probiotic, no more cerenia, no more cyproheptadine...just daily sub-q's, pred, lactulose, and cisapride.. that is more than enough, but he is doing so much better than he did 5 months ago..

I am thankful and grateful..
Yeah, he definitely knows what his mama is up to! A friend once said to me that he thought cats are smarter than humans, and when I laughed (happily, not to disagree) he looked hurt and said, "I'm serious." Of course he was correct! Cats are far more intuitive and sensitive than humans.

Daily sub-Q's now? He should be getting quite a bit of moisture, then. Maybe he just needs more brushing because of the changing seasons. I know my cats shed more when Spring comes, through part of Autumn because it is hot here.

I love the sound of our fountain -- it is very serene and restful hearing the flowing water. The motor is very quiet. I maintain it weekly as is recommended, and my cats love it. It's just a basic plastic PetSafe one. It leaks too, so I have it on a plastic tray from IKEA. I have their food on these trays, too -- so easy to keep clean! I also keep a couple of stationery water bowls around because I want them to drink as much as they want, whenever and wherever they want.

Good on Artie for eating well! Keep it up, little man! *Would love to see more pictures!*:winkcat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Artie pooped a ton before I went to bed!! It was 13 inches long!! OMGosh!!! and it was kind of held together with different pieces of fur. As long as it comes out, that is great..Kind of looked like a snake! or a curvy road on a map.
So Artie has a built-in GPS, like a curvy road map, lol.:biggrin:

He is one sharp cat, faking you out and pretending to dig in his litter box. What a perceptive feline!
So happy to hear he has improved immensely since 5 mos. ago, that's music to my ears. :hugs:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased and happy to learn Artie Boy has pep in his step. Your updates sound like a load has been lifted off you as well. This is great news all the way around.

It seems as if Artie will keep us on our toes with his schedule, he's gonna do things at his pace.

What a change in him and how far he's come proves only one thing, your love and dedication to this sweet boy has made all the difference.

Once again I tell you, take good care of yourself.

I hope you get out for the holiday weekend and have some cocktails and laughter with friends and family.

xoxohope

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
Artie did not poop yesterday. I guess because he was so voraciously fighting the miralax the past few days... sigh..

Again, I feel all sinusey.. wonder if it is the Feliway I have running in here? or The teller at the bank, the other day, had a really bad respiratory virus. I do not know why she was working.

Yes, Artie's morning routine is taking me longer to accomplish. I did not brush him the past couple of days because I had to leave a bit earlier.

If I accomplish everything, in his time frame, I cannot leave the house until noon. That is really late for me.. but it does consist of playing with him, also.. so that is ok..

Today, I got up really late, Artie was cuddling with me again. So I am really late going.. I just did a quick swiffer around here~so much fur...

Think I am going to take a break from salads and junk for supper. I took a couple of Sweet Italian sausages out of the freezer. I will cook them in a jar of sauce. I need to make some of my own sauce for the freezer.
I eat pasta so rarely and cook even less....

Artie is curled up in his quilt tent.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound at all odd that you have a water bowl next to the toilet; so do we. It's a nice, out of the way place where no one can trip over it, which is a major concern in our house.

I've also had cats who like to drink from the toilet. I think it's a clean water thing, believe it or not. The water in the toilet gets "changed" multiple times every day. Just because a cat doesn't like a fountain doesn't mean that he prefers stagnant water; he just wants it to hold still while he's drinking.

I know there are good days and bad days, but they go in cycles and lately the cycles have been changing. There are more good days than before and fewer bad days. Also, your definitions of "good day" and "bad day" have been changing to match the changes in Artie's health. "Good" is now better than it used to be, and "bad" is less bad. "Good" used to mean "not totally horrible." Now it means "Artie ate, and pooped, and got the zoomies, and played, and climbed his cat tree until he wore himself out and had a nice nap."

Margret

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
Artie did not poop yesterday. I guess because he was so voraciously fighting the miralax the past few days... sigh..

Again, I feel all sinusey.. wonder if it is the Feliway I have running in here? or The teller at the bank, the other day, had a really bad respiratory virus. I do not know why she was working.

Yes, Artie's morning routine is taking me longer to accomplish. I did not brush him the past couple of days because I had to leave a bit earlier.

If I accomplish everything, in his time frame, I cannot leave the house until noon. That is really late for me.. but it does consist of playing with him, also.. so that is ok..

Today, I got up really late, Artie was cuddling with me again. So I am really late going.. I just did a quick swiffer around here~so much fur...

Think I am going to take a break from salads and junk for supper. I took a couple of Sweet Italian sausages out of the freezer. I will cook them in a jar of sauce. I need to make some of my own sauce for the freezer.
I eat pasta so rarely and cook even less....

Artie is curled up in his quilt tent.
Well, it's good that he's your #1 Priority. My three are definitely mine, too. Everything else comes after them.

I wouldn't think the Feliway would affect you, but I've never used the plug-ins, only the spray.

Hoping you both have a wonderful night and weekend!:cutecat:

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say, I read the first post on this thread & the last one that you posted. I'm so happy that Artie is still here & seems to be doing better compared to how he was in December. When I read posts on here, I always hope that the last post will be much much better than the first. I'm going to pray for you & Artie to have lots & lots of happy & pain free times together!! Keep up the good work! I know Artie appriciates it with all his heart.

Also I hope your buddy poops soon. I remember days when I would pray for my kitty to poop!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: I just went back and re-read the first few posts on this thread. Artie has come such a long way since those fraught days! His bad days now look so much like his good days then, and his good days now are more than you imagined he could have at that point! I am just so happy for both of you! I know he still isn't "normal," but he has come such a long way, and has a real quality of life now! GOOD JOB! You are an inspiration to a LOT of folks here who have cats with health issues. I know you don't see that, but you are!:cloud9:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
A quick update:
Artie did poops twice yesterday.. making up for 'lost time'.
One was only 3 inches and the next one was 8 inches. So he is ok.

This morning he gave me the run around, literally.
I am up early, for church. The alarm went off, I ended up sleeping through it. Artie jumped on the bed, to cuddle. I ended up waking up.

He ran down from the bed, came into the BR with me. As I was going around, shutting off the night lights, opening the drapes, scooping his box, Artie was hiding from me. Actually, he was hiding in wait!! He knows his medicine is next.

Today is not the day to fool around. I am up very early, and busy for church.

Artie decided to hide from me.. to play 'tuff'!!!

He ended up under my bed, several times.. about 5 times to be exact.. yes, the broom had to come out. It was me don my hands and knees several times. I would shoo him out, he went back in to another corner of the bed. Out of the room twice, and then back under the bed, in the corner of the room, behind a chair, broom again--again under the bed...... sigh.. I have hard time shutting the door, so I was stuck chasing him.

He even pushed aside my shower curtains, and hid in the tub!!
That is where I cornered him..

He was shouting the entire time, putting up a ruckus.. all because he did not want his morning meds....jeesh...

NO poop yet, although I did find a tiny 'gift' on his throw. Have to wash that today. It is time.

Status
Not open for further replies.