Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

He could have worked off those ounces via zoomies, you know. 

And carageenan, as I'm sure you know, is Irish Moss, a seaweed.  Not at all bad for anyone that I know of. 
Yep...and in humans is actually used to treat digestive disorders.  Still checking on cats.

http://www.everygreenherb.com/irishMoss.html

Apparently not so good for cats...must search for a qualified herbalist with a knowledge of felines.  There must be one out there somewhere.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday Update:

Nothing new to report. Artie ate so much the night before last, he waited until mid afternoon to eat yesterday. He did not have much, only 1/3 of a can and 1/3 of a can during the night. 

He waited a while before he was hungry enough for breakfast. Artie just ate some, and proceeded to give a big burp!!!  Do cats Burp?????

But no vomiting.. no regurgitating.. so I am ok with that.

Artie has not been as cuddly as usual. He is leaving me alone a lot ~~ sleeping on his pillow bed, in his tent or on top of his quilt. strange for him.

Cuddling occurs only at night when I the fleece throw over me. That is only for a brief period of time. He is "using" me to be "HAPPY".... and then jumps down.. sigh.. just like a typical guy!!!    oops! is that allowed??

Then he will wait a bit, walk back over to my lap and do it all again!!! Until I have to say, "NO Willy"... or touch his paw or leg. Artie then gets mad, and storms away!  Man, I have a monster to contend with!!

I think I am going to try a different tactic with his miralax. He does not always get the entire amount. I am thinking of concentrating it in less water and adding it to a smaller amount of food. I am hoping I can cut down a bit on the dose, from 

3 times a day with 1/4 tsp-- mostly not eaten .... to twice a day with a definite ingestion. 

I hate to change things around, but I think I am going to try it out for a bit. 

Artie did fight me a lot this morning with his meds!! 

He put his right paw up and tried a couple of times to push my arm away, and clamped him jaw really tight!  

I paid him no mind, readjusted his position in my chair, and told him to "OPEN"... of course, he did not comply!! but I managed to sneak in the oil gun. He has a pulled pre-molar tooth on the upper side of his mouth, so that is my opening!! 

It is a cloudy day today. Chance of a brief snow shower, possible. I am going out for a late lunch/early dinner with a few of my cousins. Artie will be sleeping.

I just have to do a quick Swiffer on the floors, in case they come in. I wanted to wash the floor and get rid of all the medicine spots, but my shoulder hurt on Wednesday. I did not want to chance it yesterday. I will see what happens this weekend . 

I have some Swiffer wet pads for the floor, a sample. I used to use them, but kind of discovered that Artie always seemed to get "off" each time I used them. I have stopped all floor products and just use a steamer for the floor. Sometimes it is even hard for that to get the med spots off the floor.  sigh. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

He waited a while before he was hungry enough for breakfast. Artie just ate some, and proceeded to give a big burp!!!  Do cats Burp?????

But no vomiting.. no regurgitating.. so I am ok with that.
I don't know but I know they can hiccup. Leroy does it all the time, usually right after breakfast

Be a good boy today, Artie!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the lack of cuddling may actually be a good sign. It may mean that Artie is feeling less fragile, and therefore doesn't need to be comforted so much. But his fleece is still an invitation to him, and he's apparently associating it with getting "happy." (That, also, is a good sign, BTW.)

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well I don't know about burping but Honeybee FARTS and it's NASTY! LOL.

She hasn't done it in a long time. We don't play around with food anymore but when we were trying to find a food that works she used to clear the room.

I am glad Artie is doing well. Honeybee goes through phases. Some nights she doesn't come up or maybe I snore too loud. This morning I felt her on me but when I woke up she was gone. Then I can usually convince her to lay on me as long as she has her red velvet blanket which she mashes her face into and makes biscuits with her paws up over her head purring away..then when she's done with that she jumps down. So I think they want to hug for a few minutes then zoom off to do something.

I know she gets the zoomies after pooping. I have seen her run all around the yard outside when she's gone potty. I have a dog scooper picker up. She always goes in the same area of the lawn. Never in dirt. It's a valley and the grass grows longer there so for whatever reason she prefers to poop there instead of in her catbox. So once a week or every few days I walk around with the shovel and broom to clean up after her. I even put sand out back by the deck for her-thinking she would prefer it there. Nope. Pumps only uses the box in the house. She could be laying on the deck all day long and hold it until she comes in. Floey used to wait for me to walk with her and she would do her business in front of me..like she wanted me to see that she's going. This spring is going to be different without her there. She used to follow me all around my lawn and the woods. She loved the woods. Honeybee only goes in the woods with me if she feels like it. I usually can get her to follow me some of the way but then she wants to scoot into the underbrush and poke around. She doesn't follow me as well as Floey did. I think now with Floey gone she will be the alpha female and follow me. We spend a lot of time outside. I never let them out unless I am with them. Pumps rarely goes farther than the rock wall. That's her favorite area. She likes to watch the ants/spiders etc and smash them.

Honeybee has not been pooping on time and I have upped her pumpkin. I also give them miralax which is keeping pumpkin face pretty regular. I usually add it twice to their tuna mush. Pumps eats it first then Honeybee slinks in stealing whatever is left over. When she comes in I put the second shot glass of miralax/hot water into the tuna mush and she licks it up. They won't eat most wet foods. Pumps is much fussier than Honeybee.

This spring I will get a few cans of wet food and try again but we have tried about 40 different styles/flavors etc and if it's gravy they pick at it but meat chunks or shreds nope they don't want anything to do with it.

Either way I am glad your Artie is eating and playing! Keep going!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen or heard a cat burp, but if Artie did it, it's definitey doable! 

Oh, he's a very amorous guy, isn't he?  *And yes, guys!  I've heard from a guy's own mouth that that's all men ever think about.  Terrible!*

So glad your steamer works for you.  A lot of the chemicals in cleaning products are very strong and can be toxic.  Steam seems like a great alternative.

HAGD, you two!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course cats can burp.  Burping is just letting a bubble of air out.  If a cat can swallow air while eating or drinking, then the cat can burp it back out as well.  It may be harder for them; in humans it's facilitated by the fact that we're generally upright, so our mouths are above our bellies.  The air "wants" to rise to the top, which also happens to be the direction it needs to go to make an exit.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie POOPED a few minutes ago!!! It was another 10 inch piece.. like a snake. It broke up when I scooped it. I think 10 inches has to be the length of his colon!! always 10 inches!! 

He had the zoomies immediately after pooping!!  Of course, I had to chase him. 

Artie is fussing with his food today. He ate fairly well this morning, about 1/4 of a can. Before I went out, I left a 1/3 in his dish. He did not eat anything at all while I was gone!! He did not even move from his pillow bed!!! 

Artie wants new, fresh food. Of course, he does... but since I am having such a hard time finding his food, he is going to have to eat what is in the bowl. It is not warm in here, the food is not spoiled. I mixed it up, it has enough water in it..

He ate a tiny bit after the zoomies. 

I took the rest of the can out of the refrigerator, to warm up. I will do my trick soon, and mix the 2 together, warming in the microwave. He will eat it.. He has in the past. Such a stubborn cat!

It is a cold, Rainy day today, so I do not blame him for sleeping. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had someone do that for me, food-wise!  Everything I eat gets prepared by ME and the dishes get washed by ME.  Artie doesn't know how good he's got it 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's never any point in blaming a cat for sleeping.  It's what cats do.

If Artie is getting that much poop, he has to be eating quite a bit.  It doesn't come out one end without having gone in the other.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Update for Sat 3/25/17

Artie was cuddling on my lap last night. I allowed him to be 'happy' a few times, then I put a stop to it. I expected him to jump down and leave me alone, but he just stayed with me.

Artie was in a playful mood this morning! After giving him his cisapride and pepcid, he decided to start batting a ball around, running after it! and a mini-zoomie session!

Fed him breakfast, he did not eat. I gave him the H&G lamb with duck liver. He ate 1/3 of a large can last night (plain lamb)

He went back to sleep while I was having breakfast. After I finished on the computer, I gave him some lactulose. He then decided he wanted to brushed. It seemed as if he wanted me to lift him onto his smaller tree, he meowed, so I did. 

I did not get a full brushfull because he jumped down, waiting for a wand toy. I took out DA BEE.. we played for a brief minute, then he started with the zoomies!! all over the place.. Jumped on the big cat tree, then one bedroom to the other! Of course, I played CHASE with him!  This went on for a while. He did take a breather every few minutes. I ended up putting him at the top of his large cat tree. He does not go up there very often. I have a mouse on the next level. 

Artie surprised me by reaching down, and playing with the mouse!!  silly willy!!

He got tired, and went into his tent. 

I just finished with his sub-q's... not a good day for me. I was a bit anxious about something, so I ended up going through the skin and getting him wet. I had a hard time sticking him ~~ must be some scar tissue building up. I tried a different spot, but Artie did not care for that spot. He was really good.. he wanted to run away, but stayed for me. 

As soon as I took out the needle and put his tent back together, he jumped down. Went right over to the food and ate a bit.. good boy.

What I am anxious and upset about is this:

I managed to find some of the new Hound & Gatos lamb, pre-distribution to the stores. I have a bunch of them. Artie loves the plain lamb better than the lamb with duck liver; but he will eat both..thank God..

I found a piece of something thick in the food. At first I thought it was cartilage, ligament, or even skin that did not mince up. I washed out the can, the piece was caught up in sink strainer. I looked at it, and it looked like a grey piece of rubber gasket!!

I am appalled!! So upset!!  What am I giving my guy????

This food is really good food and received an award from Susan Thixton as being the best pet food for 2016. Susan Thixton is the person who has caused a lot of insight into the bad habits of the Pet food companies. Hound & Gatos passed her strict requirements. To find this is horrifying..

I took a picture of this 'stuff' and saved the can.

I tried calling the company in New York, but since it is a Saturday, they are closed. I sent a PM on Facebook Messenger, and e-mailed the customs service rep who I have been dealing with. I sent them a picture of this 'thing'.

I think because it is grey, it is easy to think it may be skin.. but who knows.. it acts like rubber.. how can you tell rubber from skin or other body parts????

Just getting scared.. This is not what we need!! after all we have been through. 

I have never seen this is the lamb with duck liver.. only the new product the lamb with

lamb liver.   sigh...

I do have a couple cases of the lamb with duck liver. I am feeding that until I can either get an answer or find a substitute.. H&G has had distribution issues so it is not in the stores yet.. it should be shipped out this upcoming week, from what they told me. 

I just order a case of Ziwi Peak Lamb and a case of Red Barn Lamb, from Chewy...

The Ziwi Peak contains mussels and chicory root... not sure about that.. never heard of 

Red Barn..

I am seriously considering making my own food now.. but how to go about it??

feeling anxious... 

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that is a little scary. It's good that you saved it, & took a picture. Maybe they will compensate you with some kind of credit, or just send you some for free!
As far as making your own food, at least there are a lot of people here that do, so there is a lot of help there. In fact, on the thread about where have some of the old members been, LDG said that she & Carolina were creating a line of food now, so that's why they haven't been around. They are busy doing that. ( She really helped me a lot in the past w/ Angel!)
They would be a great reference in this matter for you. You could try PM'ing them for info.
Either way, if you decide to take that on, there is A LOT of help here. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurrah for Artie!  He has such good progress reports.  Proud of you both!

I can understand your concern.  However, accidents can and do happen with all kinds of food prep, and that is probably an extremely isolated incident.  Lab analysis would of course determine what it is, and you're right that it could very well be organic.  Good on you for documenting it and hopefully you'll be able to reach someone on Monday and go from there.

Though many caregivers do make homemade diets for their cats, my concern there is for them getting the proper nutrients in the proper amounts.  Cats are so sensitive  -- I would tend to trust formulated foods more than homemade diets, which is why I still feed high-quality wet foods and dry for "snacks".  But you do have to trust your own instinct and do the best you can for your cat.  

Wishing you both a wonderful CATurday.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Having found a caterpillar in a can of turnip greens, I know what went through your mind.  It can, and does, happen with EVERY canned food for all living creatures on occasion.  I'm betting that you get some sort of coupons for HUGE discounts, or even a free case of food out of this one, which is all to the good.  The odds of this happing twice to you are so slight as to be negligible.   I can't find the information on exact numbers on google anywhere, but I read an article about it several years ago.  It does happen, but very seldom, considering how many cans are processed each day.

Good to hear that Artie is still doing so well!  He's happy, playing, and erm...active, and that makes me smile!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder whether this might have happened because the Lamb with Lamb Liver is a new product?  That likely means they have some new machinery for canning and such; who knows what goes into "breaking in" new machines.  If that's it, it will probably never happen again.  I agree that you're likely to get some free cat food out of this, and I know that the good companies appreciate reports when this kind of thing happens so that they can track down the problem and prevent it from happening again.  At least, when I was a computer programmer I considered bug reports to be worth their weight in gold.

I hope you've kept the rubber (or whatever it is) so that they can have their lab analyze it, and I hope you've kept it in the refrigerator, just in case it isn't rubber.

Zoomies are good.  I'm glad Artie has them in him, and is getting them out.  I've no idea what to do about scar tissue building up.

Margret

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Early morning update, Sunday March 26

Artie had the zoomies again late yesterday afternoon. That means 3 times in one day! and it was a Sub-q day, which is usually a mellow day.

This morning I am up early for church. Artie was cuddling with me, I turned and he jumped off. He had the moni-zoomies, again!!!!  Artie met me once he heard I was up. Again, with the mini zoomies!! and he wanted to play 'chase' at 5;20AM---not a good idea! I was so tired. 

He did take me into his litter box. Artie pooped a 5 inch CIGAR!!!  (no foods, as requested)...I had to close off the door to the his room, so I could catch him for his meds!! again another mini-zoomie!! 

I wish Artie would eat as much as he is zooming around!!  He looks skinny; and he is losing a patch of fur which is enlarging in a linear line. It is a white area.. almost as if the top coat of fur is missing, with the second coat showing.. weird. Not bothering him though.. 

I put the foreign material in an old medicine bottle. I looked at it last night. It has dried up and looks like dried skin... It has shrunken down and is really looking like a sliver of skin which has dried and died off. 

Wonder if this was skin that was not ground up. Or some other part of the lamb. H&G advertise using only New Zealand Lamb as their product. 

Since I am seeing the change in the foreign body, I am not getting as anxious about the food, as I was before. 

I mean, if it was really a piece of plastic, it would not dry up and shrivel like this. 

I did get a reply from the company---via e-mail. It was a poor reply. I have dealt with this person before. She is a 'twit'.. 

all I got from her was "return it to the store--full refund"...   D"UH.... I knew that.. 

The other guy in Customer Service, Jacob, is much better... 

I was a bit upset with that comment, so I sent a reply of;

" That is not an option since I ordered it one line and have a case of it. I wanted you to investigate and/or advise me what to do or what it could be.  Not a good answer"

I will call them on Monday and see if I get a different response.  

I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever found a foreign body in food. I mean it. I guess I am very lucky.. 

The closest I got to it was opening up a package of meat, a small roast, which smelt bad to me. I just chucked it out. I was not about to save it, contaminate my refrigerator... I never bought a roast from this store again. It was a Sunday dinner and I was not about to hit the grocery store.  I was working then, and my dad was alive. Now I buy my meat from a local butcher. 

Gotta get going.. getting late for me...I will return!!

Status
Not open for further replies.