Are We Going Backwards?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I rescued a cat over at Hood's parking lot. She was one of the six that I am intent on rescuing this year. She was in such bad shape when I nabbed her, she was dealing with an infection that caused her to stop eating and she was also pregnant with her second litter. For several weeks I noticed that she was barely sniffing her food, but I couldn't catch her since she could still outrun me. Finally one night she came out when my car drove up and she could hardly walk, all she could do was stagger toward me, her eyes glued shut from the infection. I reached down and plucked her like a grape. She was a pitiful looking thing, all of two pounds with knobby knees.
314015346b0420271663d73fa3fce7eb.jpg

She is now residing at my house and at first she was really bonding with me. She would want to sit by me on the couch while I watched television and she would lay next to me in bed when I would read at night. I named her Gypsy Rose Lee.

The last week however has brought some changes to her personality. She is more stand offish and she won't even let me pick her up without crying out in protest.

The changes;

1. Inky has made residence in my bathroom, which use to be her go-to room.

2. My other cats seem to be agitating her. At first she seemed interested in them but now they seem to be making her nervous. And one of my cats, (who is on my sh#t list right now) won't let her get near me. Usually she would just smack him around when he acted like that, but now she just walks away.

3. She also seems fixated on food and as a result she is getting way too chubby.

4. She won't stay in the bedroom anymore.

Could she be reverting back to being wild? Are there too many cats in my house and she figures she is just one more? Does she not feel special anymore because of Inky? Or, maybe she just isn't into me like I had thought.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The last week however has brought some changes to her personality. She is more stand offish and she won't even let me pick her up without crying out in protest.
Sometimes when a cat has a certain pain in them, they don't like to be picked up or cleaned. For example, my boy doesn't like his paw cleaned as I know he has a certain soreness on one of the paws and each time I clean his paw, he'll struggle and yell in protest.

As for the cat that comes and smack her and walk away is just her way of saying 'Respect me'.
And for the other behaviors, guess it takes time for all of them to live peacefully one with the other although at times there may be squabbles but it is the norm as long as they don't end up in fights.

Those with multi-cats household maybe able to help you answer your questions.

Here're some articles for you to read :

are-my-cats-fighting-or-playing.33927

your-cat-probably-hates-it-when-you.33831

six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats.30316

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the kittens died in her womb due to not getting enough food or hydration.
Poor kitty! Did you get her spayed yet? I agree with tabbytom tabbytom that it's highly possible that she has either physical discomfort, maybe a uterine infection, or perhaps because of her miscarriage is emotionally confused because of hormone imbalances. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! Did you get her spayed yet? I agree with tabbytom tabbytom that it's highly possible that she has either physical discomfort, maybe a uterine infection, or perhaps because of her miscarriage is emotionally confused because of hormone imbalances. Please keep us updated!

Oh yes, she had an emergency C-section to remove the kittens and spay her. It took her several weeks of medication and rest to finally start coming around. I have some pain meds to give her although my vet said to take it easy with those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when a cat has a certain pain in them, they don't like to be picked up or cleaned. For example, my boy doesn't like his paw cleaned as I know he has a certain soreness on one of the paws and each time I clean his paw, he'll struggle and yell in protest.

As for the cat that comes and smack her and walk away is just her way of saying 'Respect me'.
And for the other behaviors, guess it takes time for all of them to live peacefully one with the other although at times there may be squabbles but it is the norm as long as they don't end up in fights.

Those with multi-cats household maybe able to help you answer your questions.

Here're some articles for you to read :

are-my-cats-fighting-or-playing.33927

Thank you, tabbytom

your-cat-probably-hates-it-when-you.33831

six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats.30316

I don't mind it taking time, she's worth all the time in the world, I just can"t figure out what I am doing wrong.

The one cat, who has the to be the worst cat in the world, is very possessive of me, thus not making it any easier for her to approach me.

She is also being consumed by food, she is eating way to much and when she's not eating it, she's looking for it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Aside from the extreme interest in food, I think that you are in the middle of an adjustment situation which will probably work itself out, and agree that there might be a physical issue as well given her history. You aren't doing anything wrong at all.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't mind it taking time, she's worth all the time in the world, I just can"t figure out what I am doing wrong.

The one cat, who has the to be the worst cat in the world, is very possessive of me, thus not making it any easier for her to approach me.

She is also being consumed by food, she is eating way to much and when she's not eating it, she's looking for it.
Sometimes it's hard to understand what the cat needs. Maybe you just slow down a little and let her regain her course and as long as she is being herself and sometimes they want to be left alone, I'll let her be.