Are they comfortable or scared?

theroyals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! First time cat owner here!

I just took in two cats (Princess and King; mother and son), and today marks their second day here. I know it takes a while for them to get comfortable in a new environment (especially since we moved them a few times in the last month already....), but I'm not sure if I'm reading their behaviour correctly. Here's some information on their current situation:
  • They both seem to prefer being under the bed. However they do come out when I play with them using a wand toy, feed them, or give them treats.
  • King sometimes lies on the couch or sits 'in his spot' on the cat tree. (But for some reasons decides it's better under the bed
  • They seemed to be curious and playful yesterday, but today seems....different.
I'm not too sure if they just prefer being under the bed, or if they're still taking in their new home. Please let me know! 

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds perfectly natural to me. Cats like having a place to hide so they feel safe but the fact that they come out and play is good. They're just making sure they have a safe spot to retreat to while they get used to their new environment. As they do, they'll spend less time under the bed and more time interacting with you.