Are These Worms? (warning: Picture Included)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around October 2018, I took Maisie to the vet because she was vomiting and a couple of times it looked like she vomited up worms. She was treated for them and now it looks like she's throwing up worms again. She has never gone outside (except to get to the car to go to the vet) and as far as I'm aware, she has never killed or eaten a rodent. I have no idea how she could get worms again, so I'm wondering if what I took a picture of is actually worms or something else.
If they are worms, would my living in a basement apartment play a part in it somehow? I open the windows all the time too. It just doesn't make sense how she could get worms again (if she does have worms).

thumbnail.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like roundworms to me. How was Maisie treated previously? I know my vet said my cat needed to be treated, then wait a few weeks and be treated again, because the medicine wouldn't kill the young or larvae. Perhaps Maisie was never fully cured last time. I think I remember my vet saying it is possible for a cat to be reinfected by eggs in their litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like roundworms to me. How was Maisie treated previously? I know my vet said my cat needed to be treated, then wait a few weeks and be treated again, because the medicine wouldn't kill the young or larvae. Perhaps Maisie was never fully cured last time. I think I remember my vet saying it is possible for a cat to be reinfected by eggs in their litter.
I was given meds to give her and my other cat and then I was told to clean out the litter boxes with a cleaner (I used bleach).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was told to clean out the litter boxes with a cleaner (I used bleach).
Wash the litter box with mild detergent, scrub and rinse and if you are using bleach, please dilute the bleach. Do not use 100% bleach. Dilute like 1 cup bleach to a gallon of water.

You have to dump all the old litter and fill up with new litter after washing the litter box and wipe and air dry.
It's good if you have a spare box so you don't have to wait for the one that's being washed to be completely dry to be used.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say heartworms. Also mosquitos can transfer them.
Heartworms don't leave the heart and can't be barfed up.

Anyway, yep, those are roundworms. Treat both cats at once, clean the litterboxes after 2 or 3 days (after all the worms are pooped out), and ask the vet for a second dose to give them in 3 weeks to kill the worms that might have hatched since the first dose. To be really sure, a 3rd dose 3 weeks after the second dose would be ideal.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be whipworms. I would have her checked by the vet. Whips can live ridiculously long time in their environment.

"Whipworms pass microscopic eggs in the stool. The eggs are very resistant to drying and heat, so they can remain alive in the environment for up to 5 years. Once laid, they mature to an infective stage in the environment and are able to re-infect a new dog in 10-60 days"

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely round worms. Make sure you're using the correct dewormer, not all wormers kill all worms. Treat all animals in the house, clean litter boxes and bedding. Treat again in two weeks.