Are my kittens any breed?

shargi59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I've had Leo and Lottie since they were 5 weeks as they were feral. They are 5 months now and adorable. The vet thinks they have Norwegian Forest in them, I would be interested to know can anyone help. They do have tufts of fur between their toes.

Last edited by a moderator:

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lovely kitties.

The smoke patterning could be due to NFC heritage, but it could just be a random pop-up.  Same with the medium-length fur.  Because Weegies are not the most common of cats, it would seem unlikely that there is a purebred one wandering about your area, reproducing.

Generally, most cats that one finds on the street are mixed-breed cats of no particular heritage--I believe they're called moggies in the UK?  In the US we don't really have a word for them.  We classify them as Domestic Short, Medium, or Long Hair, and then by the color.  I would say your pair are likely DMH kitties, black smoke in color.  If they develop a water-proof double coat as they age, that is another trait of the NFC, but because purebred cats are relatively rare as compared to purebred dogs, the chances of cats that didn't come from a breeder being part anything is low, whereas one may feasibly find a dog at the pound that is actually half or even fully purebred.

Regardless, they are very good-looking cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shargi59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Thank you for your reply. There are not many cats in the area that haven't been neutered and the vet said it may be a pedigree cat as more likely it wouldn't have been neutered. I've read up in Weegies and they have lots in common and vet said they are cross bred. They have extremely long fluffy tails and triangular faces. But don't care if they're moggies as love and adore them just as they are.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself dont get the feeling they are very Norwegian look alikes, the triangularity of the faces doenst feel right.  That said, they may anyway be a fresh mix of "something". 

Its not that unusual pure bred cats are allowed to go outside. Or a stud sneaked out or the owner let him have some practical traiing.  Although its strictly forbidden!.

Black smoke isnt very common among the overall cat population.

Anyways, you did not only did a good, praiseworthy deed adopting them and giving them a worthful life.   You did also won the high prize on the lottery.

Go and buy yoursef a ticked on a money-lottery.  Luck does often wanders in triplets.   :)