Are my cats fighting or playing?

nunc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

my older 9 months old cat(female) like to bully my other kitten(male) of 4 months. The older cat is twice as big as the younger one. They do not growl or hiss but the smaller one sometimes make some meows as it seems he is not enjoying it. I think the big one is too aggressive, she like to bites him on his back...

I upload a video of their fights

I just need to know if is this a problem or are they only playing. Is the younger one in danger?

Thanks in advance for answers!

Last edited by a moderator:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Which one is the younger one, the orange-looking one? I personally think they look like they are playing. Do they hiss and growl every time they are near each other when NOT doing this, like when eating? I didn't have the sound on unfortunately so didn't get to hear it. Some kitties are more vocal while play-fighting. Oliver sounds like the most pitiful thing ever when my 3-year-old female (who is SMALLER than him) messes around with him. That's just how he sounds though. I've been listening to him want to be let upstairs for days now and it's this little whiny wanna-be mew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The orange is the younger. The older one MiuMIu (gray colour), she doesn't hiss or growl but her ears are flat, sometimes she bites him too aggressive because he can't move and he make some miaws like "you are hurting me, leave me!".  But is not alway like this, sometime thay play together more peacefully or they run together around the house. 

Another video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That definitely looks like play to me. Remember that, for cats, play is actually practising and refining the hunting skills they'd need if they had to fend for themselves.

There's maybe a little dominance from MiuMiu, but I'd expect that from the older cat anyway. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

In that second video, the boy looks almost disappointed that the game is over :lol3: They're both gorgeous, btw :heart3:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are definitely playing. If they were actually fighting, they wouldn't pause in the middle of it... it would be an all-out fight with growling, hissing, serious biting, rabbit-kicking and fur flying. 

My two Boys are 20 months old and they do the  same thing on a regular basis. Sometimes they do get a little rough (they are both about 15 pounds and the same age and grew up together since they were 6 weeks old). When I hear the loud RRRR-E-OWWWW's, I snap my fingers and firmly say, "BOYS! Play nice!" and they immediately stop and start innocently grooming each other. That is, until they think I'm not looking, then the wrestling match starts up again. 

Cat's do this because it is their instinct. They are honing their defense skills and teaching each other. Unless you detect things getting 'loud', I'd just monitor them and verbally break things up when necessary. They will learn your voice commands eventually. 

Here is a short video of them playing:

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The dratted videos wouldn't load on my computersaurus rex.  However, this is a good rule of thumb...if there are no drops of blood or piles of fur, it's playing.  An actual cat fight is truly vicious.  As has been stated above, a cat's version of play is nothing less than honing  their hunt/kill skills.  If it gets a bit rough, your baby lets MiuMiu know.  If she weren't easing off, he'd be fighting for his life, with the whole rabbit-kick, squall to deafen the neighbors, ears flat, eyes wild.  You will know a real cat fight when you see it.  They are terrifying.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look like they're playing.  Looks pretty tame.  

When they play, you will see one lying on the floor and the other looking away during a rest break like you see here.  But with fighting, there will be staring, lip smacking/swallowing, growling, hissing stand offs that escalate to full-on fighting.  You'll hear them vocalize loudly especially if they are injuring each other.  There's a big difference and play fighting could lead to real fighting but that's not what this looks like.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks EXACTLY like what my two cats, Atticus and Thirteen, do all day long.  I've wondered the same thing:  are they playing or fighting?  Glad to hear that the consensus is playing.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The dratted videos wouldn't load on my computersaurus rex. 

Love that!  Computersaurus rex

However, this is a good rule of thumb...if there are no drops of blood or piles of fur, it's playing.  An actual cat fight is truly vicious.  As has been stated above, a cat's version of play is nothing less than honing  their hunt/kill skills.  If it gets a bit rough, your baby lets MiuMiu know.  If she weren't easing off, he'd be fighting for his life, with the whole rabbit-kick, squall to deafen the neighbors, ears flat, eyes wild.  You will know a real cat fight when you see it.  They are terrifying.

They certainly are.  No doubt about it when it's a full-on fight.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your answers! Happy new year!