Are mentor cats a thing?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if it's possible for one adult cat to learn how to be more well-behaved by living with another more well-behaved adult cat? In the dog training world, mentor dogs are often used to teach other dogs good behavior since the human can only go so far in educating dogs. Can the same scenario occur in the cat world?

My cat Boaz doesn't get along with my Dad's cat Posie or my brother's cat Asher, although Boaz is more respectful of Posie than he is of Asher. Boaz seems more likely to be competitive with other male cats than with his female counterparts, but he has trouble respecting cats of either gender. Could it be possible that he could learn how to behave nicely around other cats if he lived with a respectful, disciplined female cat? I should say that Posie does TRY to be the disciplinarian to Boaz, but if she's up and moving around, no amount of growling, hissing, screaming, or swatting from her will get him to leave her alone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I recall from another one of your threads Posie and Boaz are close to the same age, correct? How old is Asher? A true adult mentor cat comes in one of two forms, 1.) an older cat who will not put up with the constant annoyance from a young cat, or 2.) a dominant cat who will not put up with annoying behavior from another cat. Doesn't sound like Posie fits the bill, and apparently not Asher either. So, you become the cat mentor.

It is the same sort of thing I have suggested before. When it becomes apparent that Posie has had enough, you pick Boaz up, hiss or say 'NO' in his face (pick one and stick with it) and put him in a time out for no more than 2 minutes. This process has to be repeated consistently - aka every time - in order for Boaz to finally 'connect the dots' in terms of 'if I bug her too much, I will get a time out for it".

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although, to answer your question, while Posey doesn't seem to have the right temperament to act as a mentor, yes, there are mentor cats, both in homes, and in feral colonies. While ferals do not have "alphas" in the same way that wolves and dogs do, there are definitely those cats who are respected, who take precedence in best sleeping spots, and such. AND, as I learned by observation (and to my great surprise), an older, mature tom sometimes takes over the training of kittens when their mothers begin to seriously push them away. When my dear Old Man, Austin, was still with us, I've seen him walking along the tree line with 3-7 kittens following along behind. He was teaching them the finer points of catting and outdoor survival.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mean it's very possible that they can learn behaviours from one another if they want to. The key being if they want to.

You can teach your cat as well. I would t recommend hissing at your cat, but I very much agree with the above: moving your cat and using a verbal command such as "No." Or "all done". Doesn't need to be in the face. Some cats will take you being in their face as aggressive and react aggressively back.

When Cal was being too much with Nobel, I would say, "All done play Nobel." Move Cal and then if he tried to return, just keep my hand on him to not allow the forward movement. He could move on any away direction, just not towards Nobel again.

Keep the words you use with your cat consistent and they will learn the word.

More enrichment would likely keep Boaz more engaged and less likely to bug other cats to begin with. Remember to work best, every No needs a Yes.