Are Male Cats Better.

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think one is "better," over another. I've lived with both sexes, and I find that boys are a lot more easy going, at least in my experience. I mean, don't get me wrong. They're still turds. All the girls I've had were a lot brattier, though. My boys just get into more mischief

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only owned a female cat myself, but I have experience living with both sexes. My cat spent a lot of time outdoors for her first 10ish years (her choice) so she wasn't around to cuddle. Once I made her indoor-only she turned into a cuddle monster. She is a bit sassy but then again so am I :dunno: My aunt's female is very easy going and cuddly. My grandpa's female was essentially Satan in a cat's body. No one liked that cat except him. All the females have tended to be relatively independent outside of cuddle time, but that's what I like in cats personally. So that's 2/3 for what I would call great females.

My aunt's male cat is needy. He must have company while he eats, he likes company in the bathroom sometimes, he yowls at night for no apparent reason or if he wants attention, he's incredibly picky with food. He's just needy. I love the cat to death but I have zero desire to own him. 0/1 for desirable males.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 5 pets - 3 dogs, 2 cats - 1 female, 4 males. They all get along with no squabbles. The 1 female cat we had many years ago was queen bee over the boy cats we had at the time, was possessive of the litter boxes and ran the boys downstairs anytime they tried to go upstairs.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer female cats. I think males are more likely to be overly needy.
I agree, I also prefer females. I’ve loved my boys, but my really special kitties have always been girls. And whenever I’ve had a problems, it’s with the boys. So I would be OK with girls only in the future.:lol: Sass, attitude and all. It’s been that way with most pets I’ve had.

(While I’m writing this, I have a little female gnawing on my arm. It’s all ok. :tongue: )

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer females too. That IS my opinion, right girls? :lol:

Sophie- "Of course. You can also tell them how pretty we are and how smart we are. Oh- and while you're at it, you can also say that I'm ALWAYS well behaved and I'd never break anything"
Me- "Yes dear"
Lilith- "Don't forget to mention that I'm the queen of everything. I'm also always very elegant and refined"
Me- "So elegant and refined is what you left on my new pillowcase?"
Lilith- "That wasn't us. Someone broke in and barfed on your pillow. We thought about trying to stop them but we got distracted and they got away. Fortunately, they missed OUR pillows"
Sophie - "Right. Did you really expect us to do anything? We're not guard dogs you know. We got so caught up in showing off how pretty and graceful we are that we forgot to do anything else."
Lilith- "Right. We exist to be beautiful and make you feel useful. We do NOT work"

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have 3 females and 5 males. I prefer the males. The females were high strung and the males were sweeter. The males were orange and the females were cream colored and they were all related.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my two girls. I’ve met many awesome male cats, but for some reason I can’t really imagine ever having one of my own. Funnily enough, I prefer male dogs but female cats. My childhood cats were boys, and they were sweet, but I never really bonded with them the same way.

My aunt has two girl Balinese cats, littermates, and they are the most mellow, people-oriented, sweet, cuddly cats I’ve ever met. They destroy every stereotype about female cats I’ve ever heard! They’re fantastic girl cats. My girls are both a bit more independent, but still loving and sweet in their own ways.

I tend to be drawn to more shy, sensitive, reserved personalities anyway, in both dogs and cats. So in that way, sassy aloof female cats suit me just fine.

There’s also the fact that I’m a HUGE sucker for calicos and torties.... :)

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom always told me males were known to be sweeter, but now having had a total of 6 cats, (plus experience with my sister's 2), I really think it's just an individual personality thing. My most cuddly cat was a boy, but all of my cats (with the exception of the first) have been total lap-cat / cuddlers, regardless of gender. The first cat was a girl, but my parents made her live outside when I was a kid. It wasn't until she was around 9 that I finally convinced them to let me bring her in sometimes, so I think by that time she'd just never been held a lot and wasn't used to cuddling up in bed with me. She had her own pillow though, right next to mine in my queen-sized bed and slept on it every night once I got permission for her to come inside. She also happened to be the smartest cat I've ever had, the Albert Einstein of cats, she was literally a cat genius. The dumbest cat I've ever had was also a girl, lol. So I'm not going to give a check for IQ to either gender!

The only "bully" cat I've ever had is a boy, though he doesn't bully my other cats too bad. He has bullied lots of other cats I've kept for short times though, even when those cats were huge compared to him! He was under 1 year old at the time, skinny with mild CH, but he would be chasing them all over the house, like he didn't want them to forget that HE was the man of the house, LOL. Then again, I'm not entirely sure if he's really a bully or if his awkward body language and lack of balance/control just throw the other cats off. Like is he really head-butting their side on purpose or can he just not stop the forward momentum? I'm not sure...

The cat currently sleeping on my lap is a girl. She's only 5 months old and I haven't had her for that long, but given the amount of time she spends in my lap (she even wants to sleep in my lap while I'm sitting at the table eating!) I think she's gonna give my previous record-holder cuddly cat a run for his money.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm female and I personally prefer female cats - they seem to be more sassy (aka bratty) than male cats, which I love about them. The first cat I fell head over heels for was my boyfriend's snowshoe, who had such a huge personality. When I'd come over and leave the bedroom door shut she'd meow very pathetically then start scratching and literally body slamming the door until I let her in. She had a habit of trying to sample every meal we were eating, would warble to be let into the bathroom when someone was taking a shower, would use her spare time beating up the resident male cat then cry about it... She was incredibly affectionate and loved attention but was just as quick to nip anyone who pet her for 1 millisecond too long. She was like a dog, person and cat stuffed into a little cat body. She passed when she was 13 and we miss her very much.

My cat Smo came into my life a year ago she too has an attitude problem. She bites the hell out of strangers (every single one of my neighbors has been bitten by her), loves to claw leather couches, makes a habit of opening drawers with her claws, gets incredibly offended when you won't let her enjoy an all-you-can-eat treat buffet, and mostly wants affection on her terms. She is the most loving baby I could have asked for though, even though she's been through years of mistreatment and abandonment. When I see what a terror she can be to people she doesn't know, it amazes me that she's allowed me to tame her. She lets me kiss the hell out of her, slaps me all the time but gently, and knows never to bite me hard. She's wary with most people but spends hours cuddled up on my legs sleeping like a rock...she is such a blessing.

With the male cats I've met I've found they're much friendlier but a little less complex, and not as hilariously bratty as my girls. I also once fostered a semi-feral male cat who wanted nothing to do with me, but funnily enough loved men. I spent two weeks trying to get him to come out of hiding but my boyfriend had him relaxing and slow blinking after an hour of hanging out with him.