Are Male Cats Better.

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always had male cats. It is not like I am about gender but whenever I got a cat first from a litter of three they were all male. Adopting Tiger and Socks from a shelter who passed away years ago were all male. Now getting two new kittens from the ASPCA who are grown up now both Sandy and Gray are males.

I am just wondering because picking out these cats because the males always came to me saying pick me but female cats just ignored me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think neutered males are, in general, somewhat more cuddly and less independent than many females. In nature, the females have to be more vigilant to protect their kittens, while the males mostly take it easy until they feel like fighting for territory or females, which of course is mostly gone once they're neutered.

Some also say that women tend to prefer male pets and men prefer female pets. Whether this is innate or socialized is up for debate.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have learned to preferred male cats. They just seem friendlier and more lovable.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I prefer male cats to females. Don't get me wrong, I love my little girl but she can be such a brat. I've had two other females before her and three other males so she isn't my first female. It seems like all the females are a little more on edge or tempermental? I am not sure how to really explain the difference.

I am aware some of it could be humanizing and applying some of those engrained human sterotypes about males versus females. But I will stick with getting males whenever I have a choice (all of the females were accidental additions).

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had a total of 3 females and 1 male. The first was a torti who was way too sassy with that attitude and considering I had her from the age of 3 to 17, I admit we were far too alike to ever really get along. My second cat was another sassmonster and a calico so again with the attitude! I was a better age to deal with her though. She was only ever affectionate with me and it was in little ways. Head butts, sleeping next to me in bed (never on me though!), "grooming" my hands and fingers.

Gizmo is my first male cat and I thought immediately that he was the sweetest most affection cat I'd ever had. But then came Stevie and I'm actually surprised at how cuddly she is too. After having two female cats who were very lukewarm with being snugglers, I now have a cuddly male and a cuddly female at the same time and I am truly in heaven.

I suppose with that said, I'm 1 for 1 on affectionate males and only 1 for 3 on affectionate females so I suppose that's my long-winded answer. :lol:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived with 4 cats, first was my roommate's white cat Leia. She was definitely a little temperamental but she also showed me a lot of affection and after about 6 months would sleep on me at night.

Then I moved in with my BF and his two boys - one was a tabby that was affectionate on his terms (meaning won't accept pets when he is not ready, and also LOVE ME NOW bites) and Gohan of whom you need to earn his trust for a long time before he is comfortable with you. He will only go in my BF lap, and allows about 2 seconds of holding.

And then there is our new tortie Olive. She definitely has tortitude, which means if she wants your lap and love nothing will stop her. All she wanted was a human to love and she will sleep under my chin for hours and crawl unbidden into my lap.

So I guess affection by gender determination for me is inconclusive.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have found males to be more affectionate - but the two females I have ever owned have been either tortie or calico.....and both have sported or do sport the cattitude.
The first male I ever owned was Siamese - and he was extremely loyal and pretty much dog like.
I then owned another Siamese (he was the same way as the first) and a mainly black male cat named Magic - SUPER friendly and affectionate.
The next male I owned was a dilute orange tabby - again, incredibly affectionate, loyal, tolerant, patient.
We got Binx a few days ago and he's acting like the rest of the males I had....follows me everywhere, wants to be involved in everything I'm doing, talks to me all day, wants to be on or near me.

The first female I had was a tortie named Xena. While she was super affectionate, it was definitely on her terms for the most part, she did sleep with us, loved to be pet, but would seek out her own area to nap during the day.
Kaia is the same - she goes off on her own for most of the day, prefers playing with Binx to hanging out with us (which is fine), will lie on me for short times and bathe my hand (haha), purrs like crazy and is very loving...but definitely more independent.
I prefer a neutered male over a female.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I don’t think Binx is ugly at all! I assumed he was going to be missing half his hair, with a scraggly tooth and a hump or something lol. He’s pretty cute.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had mainly males, just by chance.

I dont have a preferrence.....love em all.

Here is our little Motu (female) sleeping with me after a busy night shift. Wife took pic from the kitchen window...years latter its still my screen saver. Sorry its so blurry.

Isnt that a picture of love and trust! Especially for a cat to be sleeping soundly outdoors.

Screenshot_2018-10-04-13-06-00-1.png

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a little girl named Missy. She was the sweetest cat. She greeted me every morning after getting out of bed, and night when I got home from work. She was funny too. No other cat I've had has made me laugh more than she did. Also, she used to sleep in the crook of my arm at night. She and I would "talk" before falling asleep. I cherish those memories. We had a very close bond. So yes, female kitties can be just as sweet and cuddly as the males. :)

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dunno, I've known some really sweet ladycats. My kitty is a female and I couldn't adore her more. She's sassy, yes, but in a sweet sort of way (she'll pester me and meow at me for attention because she believes she's a princess, but she'd never intentionally scratch me and she's never hissed at me either).

She's the first cat I've ever lived with, though, so I can't really say I have a habit of preferring female or male cats. My friends actually all have female cats, and I really like all of them; some of them treat me like I'm one of their "people" even though I don't live there. But growing up, there were more males in the neighborhood outdoor cat posse that I hung out with as a child than females (though one of the females was really sweet too; generally they were all pretty nice to the weird human kid who didn't have other friends to play with).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not bypass towards females just adopting cats in the past only the males got my attention. Matter of fact my last cat Socks had a girls name "Wondergrrl" and I thought he was a female later finding out he was a male.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cuddly and affectionate boys. My black male is cuddly and affectionate on his own terms and schedule. But the cuddle sessions with him are very intense. He really gets into it! My orange boy is just so sweet and will accept all the attention he gets. He seeks cuddles.

We have one girl and she is also especially affectionate and friendly. She is sassy to other cats but very clingy with humans.

There's only 2 of us and we're busy enough so its hard to keep up with the demands for cuddles from 3 cats!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer female cats. I think males are more likely to be overly needy.
Haha, yeah, that's the flip side of cuddliness!

I have a few females who are very affectionate too. But they still have that. . .vigilance? They aren't as laid-back as the males tend to be.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, that's the flip side of cuddliness!

I have a few females who are very affectionate too. But they still have that. . .vigilance? They aren't as laid-back as the males tend to be.
The most laid cat cat I've ever known is my recently passed kitty, Jeta, a female.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a male. Of my 3 female cats,one is very affectionate so it varies. I have read threads on here of people having trouble with male and/Or female cats. Just be sure their fixed.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are individuals like people. Male or female they each have their own personality. I have four cats, two female and two male. One of each meows like crazy in the car and one of each don't. One of each is laid back and one of each are not. At the same time all four of them are uniquely different. My biggest pain in the butt is my cat Taz and he is a boy. He has problems because he seems to have left the litter too early and not fed properly by the people he was given to.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never owned a male cat. I have two females, one who prefers playing and being curious about everything and the other, the calico, is the sweet and affectionate one. My sister has a bonded pair of siblings, male and female and her boy is the cuddly one with his sister being his vigilant protector.