April 2023 Book Of The Month Club - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a few chapters in. It's not a slow read for me, but it is not as quick as the last Agatha Christie book we read for this book club, And Then There Were None.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm re-listening to it now.
It may be another Agatha Christie for the book club, but the two books are very different. :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats good to know. Sometimes authors write books with similar themes, just different names. I've only read And Then There Were None by Christie so wondered about this one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a few chapters in. It's not a slow read for me, but it is not as quick as the last Agatha Christie book we read for this book club, And Then There Were None.
I'm going to take a chance and read another book before this one. Hopefully I won't need to stay up late on the 21st to finish it.;)

I'm re-listening to it now.
It may be another Agatha Christie for the book club, but the two books are very different. :)
Oh, that's good to know, as we do try to pick different types of books each month.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to take a chance and read another book before this one. Hopefully I won't need to stay up late on the 21st to finish it.;)
I'm almost finished. It started moving pretty fast for me once Mr. Poirot showed up!

I've not seen this Spoiler format. It's probably been around for a while and I just missed it! :doh:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About to start the book, and just read the Foreword and Introduction, and now can't wait to get into the story. :anticipation:

How's everyone else doing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm about to start chapter 7, so 25% read. I'm trying to read slowly, so I can enjoy it as long as possible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished reading the book, and written my little review. Looking forward to the 22nd, when we can start the discussion. Only 4 more days. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Discussion starts tomorrow !!! :bliss: Of course, depending on where you live, it might already be tomorrow. :)
Either way, we'll soon be talking about Roger Ackroyd's murder, as well as Dr. Sheppard and his pesky new next door neighbour Hercule Poirot.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1682173313458.png

Time to talk about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I've got my review written, so I'll post it later.
Meanwhile if anyone needs a quick refresher on the book, here's something that might help. :biggrin:

1682173925198.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's my review, which I wrote just after I finished reading, when everything was still fresh in my mind.

After reading And Then There Were None last year, I was very much looking forward to reading another Agatha Christie book. And although The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was completely different, it was still really well written, and has convinced me that I have to read more by the Queen of Crime.

Before starting this book, I came across a review that mentioned there being a surprise twist, and though I had no idea what the twist would be, it had me on high alert right from the beginning. So it may be for that reason that I suspected that Dr. Sheppard was the murderer very, very early on.

First off, he’s way more involved in the murder investigation than a country doctor would probably have time for. But specifically he was with Roger right before the murder. He was *very* curious about the letter and whether the blackmailer was named. He *supposedly* closed the window, that was later found open. And just a bunch of other things.

So it came as no surprise to me when the murderer was revealed.

Part of me wishes I had not known about the twist, but on the other hand it did make reading the book fun, as with each additional hint and clue I spotted, I felt like I was in on a secret.

The one thing I puzzled over was who made the phone call from the train station. And as it turned out, there was no way for the reader to figure that out.

I really enjoyed the character of Hercule Poirot, though found he was a tad “full of himself” at times. But that won’t stop me from reading at least one more book that features him.

Really well written, enjoyable story. Didn’t really read as dated either, considering it was written almost 100 years ago.
1682186497882.png

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I very much enjoyed the book. I've read some others by Agatha Christie when I was younger and loved them then, too.
I thought it was well written, also. Once I got a few chapters into it I couldn't put it down and finished last night.
I wish I had kept notes about the findings because it was a little hard to remember all the details to try to figure out the murderer!
I didn't suspect Dr. Sheppard until further towards the end, even knowing that it's ususally who you might not suspect in her mysteries. So I felt good I had my eye on him earlier than usual for me!!
I did have in mind that the phone call could have been made by someone we didn't know about, though. Knowing how mysteries can go.

I kind of enjoy Poirot, I've seen a couple of the movies and the PBS show with him in it. He has some character, and his sayings- about the little grey cells and other things he says. I liked how his name was written as "Porrot" at the beginning, when I was in elementary school we in my family called him "Herkyoolee Poy-Rot." Our mom got us reading Agatha Christie.

And I knew the man coming to Poirot's house in the dark at the end would have been Ralph Paton.

So, I'll be reading more of Agatha Christie. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear, it looks like I might be the odd one out this month as I didnt enjoy the book.

There's no denying Agatha Christie was a wonderful storyteller, she must have had a sharp and organized mind to be able to not only write so many books but to make them full of twists and turns. Unfortunately I found Poirot very irritating, pompous and condescending. I have watched a few films on tv where the wonderful actor David Suchet played his character but didn't enjoy them either.

I didnt suspect Dr Sheppard at all, mainly because Poirot seemed to trust him completely, asking for his opinion, sharing information etc but that was a red herring and I fell for it.

Many of the characters had a motive for killing Ackroyd and my mind went from one to the other.

I liked Caroline, Dr Sheppard's sister, she would fit in well living in a village near me, its known as 'the land of the twitching curtains' as everyone knows what has happened before it's happened. It seemed she was the hub of the gossip.

I like the outdated things in the book such as the cards being handed to people to hold to get their fingerprints, Poirot wiping them with his silk handkerchief before handing them out, we've come such a long way since then.

It's a shame I found Poirot so annoying as I suspect I would have enjoyed the book much more if I could have endeared myself to him

I give this book 5 stars for the storytelling but deduct 2 starts because of Poirot.
⭐⭐⭐