April 2022 Book of the Month Club - Louisiana Longshot

Vote for the 3 books you'd like to see as the April, plus 2 future, book club choice

• Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper - non fiction, cats, biography

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • In Five Years by Rebecca Serle - fiction, romance, magical realism, time travel

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella – fiction, romance, humour, ghosts

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon – fiction, cozy mystery, humour

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • The Summons by John Grisham – fiction, legal thriller

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Loving Frank by Nancy Horan – fiction, historical, romance

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On my Kindle waiting for me!
It's on my Kindle too. Just can't decide whether to start it now, or wait a bit, so I finish it nearer the discussion time. :headscratch:

Not for me, I'm afraid. I'm an audio book girl and the narrator gets slammed on this one. :(
Does that happen often, mani mani , that you can't "read" a book because the narrator has an annoying voice?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll start reading it around the 18th. Remember...this will be the 5th or 6th re-read for me, and I'm WILDLY excited! I'll go ahead and go through the entire series again, ending with the new one, "Flame and Fortune," which will arrive MONDAY!!! LOL, and yes, I need to re-read it to discuss it! There are so many books in the series, and they are all so funny, that sometimes I forget which hysterical incident happened in which book!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone probably has a different vocal preference, but it must be something author's have to really consider when they get their books published in audio format.

Just Googled and found this: Best Audiobook Narrators | The Narrator Hall of Fame | Audible
I probably shouldn't say this, but the bulk of the ones they consider great are American and I really prefer English/Australian narrators. I guess it's just what you're used to.
One writer who reads his own and is fabulous is Neil Gaiman.. usually if people read their own you run a mile, but he's brilliant, and I love his books.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I probably shouldn't say this, but the bulk of the ones they consider great are American and I really prefer English/Australian narrators. I guess it's just what you're used to.
And I would probably have trouble understanding an English/Australian narrator. ;)

Think I may read Louisiana Longshot next, instead of waiting, as the book I just borrowed from the library has a sequel, and I'd like to read them back-to-back.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many years ago, when my ears still worked right,, I listened to "The Silence of the Lambs" read by a woman. It was even creepier than when I read it. I do wish I'd made note of her name, I'd have loved to heard more of her!

I'm kinda putting off reading "Louisiana Longshot" for a few days. I want to finish the Anna Pigeon series, if I can, and then read the Miss Fortune straight through again. IF I can start it on the 17th or 18th, I'll be fine, since this will be my 6th or 7th time reading it (and I still laugh just as hard at all the same places!).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've started "Louisiana Longshot". Not too far into it yet, but I see the author definitely includes a lot of humour. :)

Anyone else start it yet?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have downloaded Louisiana Longshot and read a couple sentences, but not sure about it. I'm not a fan of either murder mysteries or first person books. I did just finish the two I was reading, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I like being able to download free books so if it happens I don't like it, I haven't lost anything.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone else start Louisiana Longshot yet?

I've been reading a bit every day. It's not a page turner, but not hard to read either. I don't have a great sense of humour, though, so I'm probably not laughing as much as the author intended, however, I did literally LOL at a part I was reading last night in chapter 16, that took place at night in a car on a dark road. :lol:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else start Louisiana Longshot yet?

I've been reading a bit every day. It's not a page turner, but not hard to read either. I don't have a great sense of humour, though, so I'm probably not laughing as much as the author intended, however, I did literally LOL at a part I was reading last night in chapter 16, that took place at night in a car on a dark road. :lol:
It's not the type of book I would normally read and I didn't find particulary humorous to be honest, and downright annoying in some parts. Although I agree its not a page turner, it was a free download and a quick read so I finished it.