Appropriate Weight for a 6 month cat?

katiaiken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just curious,

I did lots of research when I got Abby to make sure everything was perfect, but I could not find an appropriate weight for a normal female 6 month old cat. Does anyone know?

Thanks so much!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so dependent on the individual cat that it's hard to make such a generalization. If a cat is going to end up topping 20 pounds (i.e. Maine Coon), then their 6 month old weight is going to be vastly different than a cat whose full grown weight will be 4 pounds (i.e. Singapura).

At 6 months, she's still a growing baby.
So her weight could fluctuate a lot on a weekly or even daily basis (hopefully going up!). So if she looks a little pudgy, she may be heading for a growth spurt and she'll look gangly in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiaiken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the quick response! She's a Tuxedo cat, and I wasn't sure of their potential weight - I'll keep an eye on her to make sure if she looks pudgy that she'll look better soon afterwards!

Thanks!

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so funny I see this, because I asked the exact same question about my 6 month old tuxedo girl, Marishka, a few months ago. She was a stray and when I took her to the vet, she approximated her at 6months, and she weighed 4 lbs, but was very skinny, and bony, and obviously not healthy.
Obviously, all cats are different, but I just wanted to give you a number to compare (even though her circumstances were a little different).
: ) Kelly

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatiAiken

Thank you for the quick response! She's a Tuxedo cat, and I wasn't sure of their potential weight - I'll keep an eye on her to make sure if she looks pudgy that she'll look better soon afterwards!

Thanks!
Well their fur color makes no difference. She is just a regular DSH and who knows what mixes she has in her. There is really no way of knowing.

chaoran22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree that the color of the cat doesn't make a difference but my vet told me that generally speaking - domestic shorthairs gain usually a pound a month. so a 6 month old should be around 6lbs. of course, depending on what they have in them like if they have some manx or something, they'll be different. my vet used that to estimate the age of my kitten when we found him as a stray, he was skinny but around 3lbs and she said he was around 3 months. also i go by this chart: http://placervillevet.com/feline body condition.htm i don't weigh him as my scale can be off +/- 2lbs at any given time so i just go off of what he looks like. i make sure i can see hips but no ribs and i feel his ribs every now and then to make sure they're not covered with too much fat. he's really good about self monitoring his own food intake. hope this helps!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even "typical" DSHs can be of very different weights. A friend of mine took in a pregnant stray, and she said that after 4 months of age all the kittens were different weights. Some stayed smaller, some got really big.

My DSH Lily is 8 months, 7 lbs, and on a diet because the vet said she had way too much fat. BTW, she was only 2.5 lbs at 4 months. Eve, a DSH/Siamese mix, is 6 months, about 8.5 pounds and skinny as all get-out.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt worry about their weight unless they are too skinny or to big. Kirra will be 6 months on the 24th and she weighs in at 8lbs, gonna ask the vet next time i see him if he thinks she is getting a bit tubby, you should see her sway, my lord i would say she was preg she is getting so chubby ROFL.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our two meezers are a perfect example, they have the same biological parents and Bijou is 16 lbs. and Mika is 9 lbs.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask the vet on Tuesday how much Radar weighed
and it was on my list of things to ask him.

I think he's going to be a fairly small cat though.

I thought he was getting a bit pudgy until the vet shaved his tummy, then I realised it was just his winter coat making him look bigger than he was

holly1970

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought my adopted tuxedo kitty to the vet for her follow up (had a respiratory infection caught at the shelter).....she is exactly 6 months old now....and weighs 4.5 lbs (she was 3.25 last month - 7 weeks ago)......they say she is on the petite side but is very healthy - I hope this helps.

lunafox90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TThe reason im on this thread is my girl here storm. Shell be six months in august but shes already at 8.2 pounds her sister is only 7.2. i lost a cat to diabetes in my moms home after i moved so im just wanting to make sure to keep her on the right track. Her sister loves the wet food and will chow down storm will nibble towards the wet but she seems to prefer dry food.

Attachments

lunafox90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so far we haven't had any issues so I'm not sure what so far we haven't had any issues so I'm not sure what happened as far as the string toy she still eating she still playing she still drinking havent seen anything in her litter though and no "hairball" or throw up

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one has no definitive answer. It really depends on what she's mixed with. If she's not skinny or fat, then she is o.k. I have two 4 month old siblings. The little one is just over 4 lbs and looks a bit chunky. Her sister is 5 1/2 lbs and is very lean.
So it just depends on the individual cat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't have to worry about a 6 month old kitten being "fat". They get roundish-looking, then have a growth spurt where they look a bit gangly.

My kitten weighed 7 pounds right when she turned 6 months and 8 pounds right when she turned 7 months. She stopped growing as fast after 7 months, and she's 8.5 pounds now at 10 months. She also doesn't get the "fat"-"thin"-"fat"-"thin" bounces any more.

Raley's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my. . .Our black/short hair Raley (ray-lee) at a guesstament age of 6 months(the oldest the vet says he is) weighs a lean/solid 11 lbs already! When we first found him in our yard, brought in by a raccoon, he was a mess--skin & bones with bite marks all over. He was just under 2 lbs. Raley was so bad off, the vet didn't think he was going to make it. But we insisted that we wanted to try. The vet, finally, drew blood, gave Raley 3 shots of antibiotics, antibio drops for eyes, & flee drops, sent us home with a mixture of 3 antibiotics plus one other that couldn't be mixed with the other 3, eye drops, & another dose of kitten flee drops. We bought some kitten formula on the way home where daddy & mommy started loving him to health! Next appt, vet was in shock at how healthy Raley was--saying over & over how healthy Raley looked!(Isn't it amazing what love can do?)
I've noticed that just before Raley goes through a growth spirt, his face gets round--he's about to go through another growth spirt! He's so big now, I keep forgetting he's still a kitten. Any guesses to how big Raley is going to get?

Last edited:

Wobblescat3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
depending on breed a healthy kitten should gain one pound a month, as a vet tech this is the rule of thumb we use to estimate the age on young cats, that being said I have a Siamese that is like 3yrs and only weighs 4lbs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any guesses to how big Raley is going to get?
Cats have different genetics. Most are full-grown at a year, but some breeds keep growing 2-3 years.

So total guess (based on my kitten's growth chart): My kitten was 7 pounds at 6 months, and ended up at 9 pounds. So 28% more weight on your 11 pound kitten would put him around 14 pounds full grown.

You can take that with a grain of salt...because...genetics. ;) Males also tend to be larger than females, so you may estimate a little extra weight.