Apple Picking

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We went down to the orchard on Saturday to get apples. The Mutsus were gone til we got there. The Mutsu is my favorite apple. But the good news was that the Granny Smiths were ready! They're not normally ready until into November, but with the crazy weather this year, everything was ready about 2-3 weeks early. I took a half-bushel of Grannies. For my second half-bushel, I just walked around and took apples that appealed to me....about 7-8 different varieties. I figured they would make a couple of good pies with that kind of assortment. A few apple dumplings. Some Grannies just for me to munch on. I'd like to try some apple butter in the crock pot again this year. And the rest in sauce.

I don't know if a bushel will go that far, though. Usually we get about 100 pounds of apples, so I have enough to make everything I want to make. This year, though, I don't really have a lot of time, nor do I have a kitchen, nor do I have room in my freezer. I thought I'd go up to my mother's apartment tomorrow and make everything there. And I can put the finished items in her freezer. It will pretty much take me all day, but that's Ok, too. I'm thinking about taking a vacation day to get it all done.

Oh, I did get 6 nice SunCrisp apples, I think they were called. They're supposed to be a good apple for dehydrating, so I thought I'd prepare them and throw them into our dehydrator. Rick said he'd take dried apples as a snack to work. And I have some cookie and cake recipes that call for dried apples.

We usually go to Connecticut for apples and so I can visit with my GF for the weekend. This is the first time in a long, long time that I didn't make it up there. I'm really missing that trip.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I saved 15 Grannies for munching. The rest of the apples have been turned into applesauce, 14 apple dumplings (shared with my sister and BIL), and two apple pies (one a regular double crust and the other a French apple pie, with the crumb topping). I had to take the sauce, six dumplings, and the pies to my mother's freezer last night.